Singapore Expats Forum

Formula 1 Watching Events/Club

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
TexasExpat

Formula 1 Watching Events/Club

Postby TexasExpat » Fri, 30 May 2008 10:47 am

Hello all,

I've searched the boards to see if there was an existing group of fellow F1 fanatics like myself meeting up for regular F1 watching events at any of the local restaurants/pubs, but it seems there isn't one. At least not one that I can find.

That being the case, I figured I'd put the call out to all my fellow F1 fanatics to see if anyone would be interested in joining me to establish a regular group. I used to organize these years ago when I lived in the U.S. (for that very rare breed known as American F1 fans), and it was always a very good time.

It's shaping up to be another great championship race this year. Let's hear from any and all that are keen to join. :)

Cheers,
Marc

one843
Regular
Regular

Postby one843 » Fri, 30 May 2008 11:59 am

Marc,
I as well am one of those rare American F1 fans. Boy, what a true statement that is. THey are rare and hard to come by.

However, for not having to many fans there is always a good turn out for the US Grand Prix. These peole that go are just not there because free compnay ticket or Raceway season passes. They are actuall fans. This was eveident to me by the resaction of the people the year that all Michelan teams droped out of the race.

To me an F1 car compared to a NASCAR is like a Yugo compared to a Cadilacc.

Anyways, I would love to join a watch group especially with a fellow countryman. Unfortunately I am leaving Singpore and moving to India for the next 5 years.

I wish you luck in forming a group.

"Go Kimi"
"If you fear change, you fear success"

one843
Regular
Regular

Postby one843 » Fri, 30 May 2008 12:05 pm

I must admit that I do watch the Daytona 500 when possible, and Nascar at Glen Helen and Sears Point is freakin cool.

I would love to see F1 at Laguna Seca though.

The only thing that sucks about being an Aerican F1 fan here is that the US and Canada rounds are on TV at like 1a.m.

I believe that US and Canada is in the midst of being droped from the schedule though.

Probably when India is ready to replace it.
"If you fear change, you fear success"

TexasExpat

F1

Postby TexasExpat » Fri, 30 May 2008 7:27 pm

One843,

Well I haven't heard anything about Canada being dropped--it's quite a well supported event--but yes this incarnation of the US GP is indeed history. I have a feeling it won't be long before they're back in another location though. Could be Laguna Seca, Las Vegas, or even New York City.

Good luck to you in India and feel free to pass this invite/message along to anyone you know that would be keen.

M

Currant

Postby Currant » Sat, 31 May 2008 10:22 am

Sounds like a fun idea. I am into Formula 1 by default, my husband's Italian, no prizes for guessing which team he supports!

We've been going to Brewerkz at Riverside to watch the races if they're at dinner time hours (saw the Spanish and Monte Carlo races there). But it will be great to watch as a group.

Please keep us posted...

TexasExpat

Forza Ferrari then...

Postby TexasExpat » Sat, 31 May 2008 4:56 pm

Currant,

Thanks for the reply. I was actually going to recommend Brewerkz for the first gathering. I live at Robertson Quay now and will move closer to Clarke Quay shortly, so that's very convenient for me as well.

With the next race being in Canada, I would suggest making the first event the French GP on June 22nd. I travel quite a bit for work, but should be here that weekend.

I'm also going to try to bring a few of my other friends that are at least casual F1 fans and who wouldn't mind showing up just for the social aspect. The heart of the European part of the season is about to start so the next several rounds will fall during our Sunday nights locally. As for round #15, I'll be watching that one live. :)

No issues with supporting Ferrari. I'm usually pulling for Kimi to do well, though I'd have to say I'm still neutral right now. I'm still looking for a team/driver to support in the post-Schumacher/Hakkinen era.

Looking forward to meeting you and your husband.

Regards,
Marc

sampas

Postby sampas » Sat, 20 Sep 2008 11:11 am

What happened to this group?

Anyways, are you guys watching the F1 live next week?

elska76
Chatter
Chatter

Postby elska76 » Tue, 07 Oct 2008 9:55 pm

Alternatively you can watch it at Singapore Pools for a small fee....If im not wrong its like $5 per entrance :)

Volunteers get to watch for free :P
Its fantastic to sit together with the same interests to watch F1 :)

http://www.singaporepools.com.sg/en/spo ... radiz.html
Some people are alive cos its illegal to kill ;)