Singapore Expats

just received my medical check ...

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
sg_gianni

just received my medical check ...

Post by sg_gianni » Wed, 28 May 2008 3:41 am

have a new job in Singapore in september at the end of my notice, have signed the contract
my new compagny provides the work permit
i got 2 days ago the results of my HIV test
HIV+ !!!!!
my girl friend is neg...

is my relocation still possible?
if it is not i need to find a new job here or in Italy, i ve already quit mine
some white people live in Singapore with HIV, how is it possible ?

many thanks for all the informations
Gianni

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 28 May 2008 5:04 am

i cant give you any work-related advice.

do make sure your girlfriend repeats the test later this year.

also please make sure you know what responsibilities are involved, visit your doctor and take your medication regularly.

life goes on. hope your job's not gonna be affected. good luck!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: just received my medical check ...

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 May 2008 11:03 am

sg_gianni wrote: some white people live in Singapore with HIV, how is it possible ?
They are PR's or Citizens?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sg_gianni

Post by sg_gianni » Wed, 28 May 2008 3:18 pm

[quote="sundaymorningstaple"][quote="sg_gianni"]
some white people live in Singapore with HIV, how is it possible ?
[/quote]

They are PR's or Citizens?[/quote]

i don t know....

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 30 May 2008 6:15 am

sg_gianni wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
sg_gianni wrote: some white people live in Singapore with HIV, how is it possible ?
They are PR's or Citizens?
i don t know....
SMS was telling you, those with HIV were PR's or Citizens.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 30 May 2008 12:51 pm

ksl wrote:
sg_gianni wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: They are PR's or Citizens?
i don t know....
SMS was telling you, those with HIV were PR's or Citizens.
I don't think so. If you were a PR and were to become HIV positive after receiving your PR I think it would be revoked.

Levikane
Regular
Regular

Post by Levikane » Fri, 30 May 2008 1:01 pm

Yeah but would the hospital/clinic/whatever have to tell MOM? I would have thought this would be confidential.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 30 May 2008 1:19 pm

Levikane wrote:Yeah but would the hospital/clinic/whatever have to tell MOM? I would have thought this would be confidential.
FWIW, MOH (through TTSH's communicable disease centre AND epidemiology & disease control division which reports to MOH) would know at the very least because there's a national register of HIV+ patients somewhere in their dungeons...

all the patients' past and future records go on that register for all sorts of reasons.

where they go from there these days, i can only speculate. but this being singapore...

*strokes long beard*

and oh oh oh. i forgot to mention that we're supposed to "dob in" HIV+ tested patients to the MOH:

as part of medical screening for foreign nationals are syphilis, HIV and hep b. i know for a fact that house helps (MAIDS) are denied work permits if they fail the HIV negative serology tests...

i've had to explain this to a few families before. sorry, i didn't work in a classy clinic so i've never dealt with other types of foreign employees.

by law, the doctor(s) involved AND the lab that does the blood work have to both inform MOH.

and back then, i've had other doctor colleagues who know of people getting deported because they were HIV+.

i'm unsure if the laws have been changed since, but... well. good luck!

whatever happens to gianni, just make sure you take care of yourself. life goes on as long as you do what you gotta do. talk to your doc!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 May 2008 1:57 pm

No, I was asking. Just because they are living in Singapore doesn't mean that they aren't HIV positive or PR's or citizens. I lived in Singapore for 11 years on a bog standard 30 Social Visit Pass. I had one wife, two kids, 3 cars on a Social visit pass. As long as you go out of the country for 3~5 days you can virtually stay here forever as a tourist.

If they were HIV positive, and taking a cocktail mix of drugs (several HIV drugs) they probably would make a run to BKK monthly or if they are now getting 90 days, quarterly, to buy their HIV drugs in Thailand where they are much cheaper. As they are on a social visit pass they are not subject to screening or registering with MOH.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 30 May 2008 2:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I lived in Singapore for 11 years on a bog standard 30 Social Visit Pass. I had one wife, two kids, 3 cars on a Social visit pass. As long as you go out of the country for 3~5 days you can virtually stay here forever as a tourist.
that's insane. i never knew it's possible to stick around for so long.

but wouldn't the 3-5 days away rack up at least a hundred bucks or so these days, even in JB?

that's over a grand worth of beer money! :o

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 May 2008 2:33 pm

Not with the proliferation of cut rate economy air fares. Additionally, what is usually done is one will be the runner to BKK and buy for 5 or 6 sufferers thereby charging a wee bit to cover costs while up there and also getting a better discount by buying in bulk while there. This is a lucrative business for some of them as they may well have lost their jobs and have nowhere else to go except to their home countries where they wouldn't have the resources of cheap drugs close by.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 May 2008 2:42 pm

That's what the immigration officer said at my PR interview as well! :cool:

It was because I worked offshore in the Oil Exploration Industry and was normally only here 4 weeks at a time. There used to be '000's of us here doing the same thing. After I explained to the Immigration officer how silly is was, I got my PR and withing 6 weeks there was as flood of letters sent out by ICA to all of us who have applied previously and were rejected because we did not work IN Singapore (but worked offshore and had local wives & kids) We all ultimately (at least those who wanted it) eventually got PR.

pinball

Post by pinball » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 5:02 pm

im also HIV+. i have few questions.
do they report HIV+ cases to MOM? will you get deported for this?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 6:01 pm

All databases in the Singapore Government are linked at various levels and flagged with pertinent data it posted. Rest assured that MOM as well as ICA are both connected to MOH and IRAS.

MOM - Ministry of Manpower
ICA - Immigration & Checkpoints Authority
IRAS - Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore
MOH - Ministry of Health

There is no way, if you had your EP physical in a Government Clinic or Government approved medical facility that ICA, MOM, MOH & IRAS don't know about it.

pinball

Post by pinball » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 7:40 pm

now i dont have any chance? how sad.. im very depressed.. can i visit singapore? or they wont even let me in?
please help give us some info.. thank you..