Singapore Expats

Best lebanese / greek restaurant in Singapore

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Best lebanese / greek restaurant in Singapore

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 29 Aug 2021 10:56 pm

BBCDoc wrote:
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 9:41 pm
I miss Shisha with the middle eastern food…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hahaha, I’m not sure that’s legal here. Back in Miami, they have a whole bunch of Shisha bars and restaurants.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 29 Aug 2021 10:56 pm

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 10:10 pm
Greek food - Bakalaki at Tiong Bahru is quite nice in my opinion.
What do you recommend?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 29 Aug 2021 10:57 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Fri, 27 Aug 2021 8:51 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:31 pm
Wed, 25 Aug 2021 12:40 pm
Indeed Blu Kozina is about the only Greek in town ever been. There was one or two long time ago but disappeared. It is quite weird how the Greek influence in food never got here, when Australia is full of them and even manila has a great Greek restos. That was the kitchen I missed here occasionally from Europe and with no choice had to start cooking at home some time ago. Greek food is actually reasonably trouble free to cook, just get good ingredients.
My preferred recipe site is this https://www.mygreekdish.com/
Everything starting from home made pita bread, and not trying to be trendy.

For the other topic in this old chat, best Lebanese in town and also highly recommend by my Lebanese neighbour is Kazbar
http://www.kazbar.com/

Good stuff and quite reasonably priced delivery and take away sets with good priced Lebanese wine also available of you need the full authentic package.
I’ve never tried Lebanese cuisine. What do you recommend?
Order their recommended set "A TASTE OF LEBANON FOR 2-3 PAX" and add a bottle of Chateau Ksara Red. That's a great set to get into the flavors if you don't know exactly what you want or like.

I like most of the other dips too, not just hummus. Like the moutabel and babaghanoush (both eggplant based) and labneh.
So if you have a big family feast and want snacks, they have this whole dips and chips platter that comes with pita breads and dull variety, but it's a bit big set for current visiting restrictions.
Sounds delish! I’ve had babaghanoush and hummus, but none of the others. I’ll give it a try. Thanks for the recommendations!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 29 Aug 2021 10:58 pm

Sat, 28 Aug 2021 1:59 pm
Tried the siglap blu Kozina breaky today, really good. Available only on Friday, Saturday and Sunday when they open from 8:30 onwards.

Nice Greek breakfast sets that would have been big enough for sharing for 2 actually, and might then add 1-2 extra sides.

Seems to be popular too.
I’ve always wanted to try Greek breakfast. Surprisingly, it’s very popular in Australia, of all places!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Aug 2021 11:41 pm

Not surprising at all. The 2016 census recorded 397,431 people of Hellenic/ Greek ancestry, and 93,740 born in Greece, making Australia home to one of the largest Greek communities in the world.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 30 Aug 2021 10:44 am

Very true - it’s the first thing that comes to mind every business trip I’ve made to Melbourne… the Greek food there just amazing.

You can even find restaurants that are region specific. One of my favorites was a restaurant that specializes in Cretan food (Island of Crete). Makes my mouth water just thinking about it!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 30 Aug 2021 1:10 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 29 Aug 2021 10:56 pm
smoulder wrote:
What do you recommend?
It's been a while since I last ate there. It was all nice but the thing that is quite hard to forget is the fried cheese with honey appetizer. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it 🤤

Ignorant1
Regular
Regular

Post by Ignorant1 » Mon, 30 Aug 2021 1:22 pm

smoulder wrote:
+ 1

Ignorant1
Regular
Regular

Post by Ignorant1 » Mon, 30 Aug 2021 1:24 pm

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 30 Aug 2021 1:10 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:
What do you recommend?
It's been a while since I last ate there. It was all nice but the thing that is quite hard to forget is the fried cheese with honey appetizer. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it 🤤
Yes. Saganaki is quite nice. I love their lamb too . And they also have one spread with cod roe. Very nice !

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:00 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 29 Aug 2021 11:41 pm
Not surprising at all. The 2016 census recorded 397,431 people of Hellenic/ Greek ancestry, and 93,740 born in Greece, making Australia home to one of the largest Greek communities in the world.
Well when you pull up the statistic it explains a lot. I’m not very familiar with the demographics in Australia.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:53 am

I was lucky enough to spend about 8 months working down there in '93~94. Worked on the Gold Coast, Darwin and W. Australia (namely Broome). Greek Restaurants everywhere.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:56 am

Broome is #1 on my bucket list… I’m jealous!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 1:30 am

I did a little research a couple of months ago on Broome today to see how much it had changed. Apparently it has tamed down considerably. Cable beach, for the most part, is now all a normal beach. Whereas back in the '90's it was mostly a clothing optional beach with the exception of the beach fronting The Cable Beach Resort and points to it's' left. Everything to the right of the 'rocks' on the right side of the resort was clothing optional (about 10km of beach). They shared that portion of the beach with the camel rides that would start in the late afternoon through to around 9 or 10 pm. It was always funny when the 'tourists - mainly Chinese/Japanese. came in front of the rocks to the optional beach on their camel trains and watch their expressions (and the Japanese males grabbing for their cameras!) You used to be able to drive your van/jeep down on the beach. Long shallow beach. High tide maybe 100~150' of beach to the water. Low tide you would have about a quarter mile to the water's edge. The tides in Broom can be as much as 9 meters between low and high tides (spring tides are the largest). When we brought the survey vessel (176' long) into dock. high tide you could step off the deck of the vessel onto the dock. At low tide all you could see was the top of the wheelhouse and aerials/radar dome.

https://lifeofrileyow.com/2017/07/20/br ... explained/

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-24/ ... ia/7653938

Spent most of my evenings back then at the Diver's Tavern. Broome is best known for it pearl diving industry, so being a former commercial diver I felt quite at home there. I've often wanted to go back.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 2:03 am

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 30 Aug 2021 1:10 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:
What do you recommend?
Sounds awesome. I’ll try to make a trip down within the next week or so and will make sure to get that. Thanks!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 31 Aug 2021 2:04 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:53 am
I was lucky enough to spend about 8 months working down there in '93~94. Worked on the Gold Coast, Darwin and W. Australia (namely Broome). Greek Restaurants everywhere.
Wow, I wish I had that luxury. I’ve only really been to the more touristy parts of Australia- Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra.