Singapore Expats Forum

Giving up Singapore Permanent Residence (SPR)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
yudhix

Giving up Singapore Permanent Residence (SPR)

Postby yudhix » Fri, 23 May 2008 1:33 pm

Hi,

Has anyone had any personal experience in giving up his/her Singapore PR? How long is the processing and what documents are required?
Also, would I be able to take out the whole CPF after giving up my PR?
I am currently in my 4th year of SPR and leaving the country for study+work . So, I have been thinking of renouncing my PR status.

I searched ICA website but could not find any info on this. Their hotline is also always busy.

Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 May 2008 6:18 pm

The following link will guide you through the process.

http://www.mfa.gov.sg/newyork-consul/nypr_renunpr.html

Once you have notification of renunciation you can go to IRAS and get tax clearance if not already done and then to the CPF Board to fill out requisite forms to have them wire transfer you CPF funds (all including interest) to any bank in the world withing 10 business days.

However, if you do withdraw all your CPF Funds, should you ever return to Singapore and want to take up PR again, you would be required to replace ALL funds withdrawn AS WELL AS any interest that would have accrued had the funds been left in place for that period of time.

sms