Singapore Expats Forum

About to move to Singapore - All worried and depressed...:-(

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
bbmania

About to move to Singapore - All worried and depressed...:-(

Postby bbmania » Fri, 23 May 2008 5:25 am

Hi everyone.

I am flying out to Singapore next Saturday for 3 year assignment. Granted, I have been making trips to Singapore many times in the past 2-3 years, and also loads of colleagues and people in my team, so it won't be a completely strage place, but now that it's really in a matter of days, I am having a matter jitters....

I have never moved to a foreign country by myself, and my husband cannot move with me due to his job. I am leaving all my friends and family behind me, and big getting nervous as well.

*sigh*

Not quite sure if I can survive and make friends and find my own life there. Any words of encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

Well, just tell me I'll be all right.... :cry:

Thanks in advance...

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Fri, 23 May 2008 7:13 am

what's the reason you decided to move to singapore for work? 3 year is a long time to be away from your husband!

Nicole077
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Nicole077 » Fri, 23 May 2008 9:23 am

Hihi, no worris...You will be fine here....Singapore is a clean and safe country!! And do join the FNDC (Friday Nite Drinking Club) where you will meet loads of new friends.....Hope to meet you when you are here, and give me a shout if you need any help :-)

Cheers,
Nicole/Pockets
"Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life"

Joyful
Regular
Regular

Postby Joyful » Fri, 23 May 2008 10:52 am

ya....

No worries, singapore is a easy place to settle in...other than some good old cultural quirkiness...

You'll have fun...otherwise, there's always some crazies out here like me to waste your time away here =)
Guilty by Association....NICE!

bbmania

Postby bbmania » Fri, 23 May 2008 11:15 pm

Thanks all...

durain, I'm moving with my new responsibilities at my company. It's such a great opportunity that I just couldn't pass. Initially, the plan was for my husband to come with me, but he has his own career and I didn't feel it's right of me to force him to move with me for my own career.

I do like drinking and hanging out... :-) Hope FNDC can shed some light for my dull life there. I'm moving at the end of the month, so will sign up for the next FNDC gathering.

Appreciate for all the great encouragement! :-)

at914

Postby at914 » Fri, 23 May 2008 11:45 pm

bbmania wrote:Thanks all...

durain, I'm moving with my new responsibilities at my company. It's such a great opportunity that I just couldn't pass. Initially, the plan was for my husband to come with me, but he has his own career and I didn't feel it's right of me to force him to move with me for my own career.

I do like drinking and hanging out... :-) Hope FNDC can shed some light for my dull life there. I'm moving at the end of the month, so will sign up for the next FNDC gathering.

Appreciate for all the great encouragement! :-)

Oh gosh, I can totally relate to you. My long-term boyfriend and I are doing long distance too. I just moved to Singapore this week by myself. I was a wreck for the first few days but eventually you get used to it and find ways to deal with it. :)

PM me if you wanna talk or hang out or whatever.

pix07

Postby pix07 » Sun, 25 May 2008 12:13 am

Heya,

It's probably going to be hard initially but Singapore is a pretty easy place for you to adapt and settle down. Regardless of what nationality/race, you should be able to find something familiar here. No worries ok? As for friends, Singaporeans are really a friendly bunch once they warm up to you. And there are many foreigners here as well.... with the advancement of technology, doing long-dist communication with loved ones back home isn't too bad.

PM me or drop me an email at pix.art3@gmail.com if you wanna talk/have any questions yah? =)

It'll be Okay. *hugs*

J.

maimaya25

hang in there

Postby maimaya25 » Mon, 26 May 2008 9:12 pm

Hi bbmania,

I think almost all of us here can relate (in some way or another) to the anxiety you're feeling now. We've all left behind friends and family who we love dearly. It's a matter of choice I guess... like you said, this move is a great opportunity and must be worth giving a shot.

The lead-in to leaving home is always the hardest... when I made my move about a year ago, I asked that no one bring me to the airport so there would be no teary eyes. But to each his own, right?

On the bright side, like the others have said Singapore is a pretty easy place to adjust to. I like to call it the Non-Asian's Crash Course into Asia, since Singapore has all the conveniences of a first world country whilst it still retains a little of that spice that is unique to Asia. Plus, you've made a good move by getting on this forum early on!

Anyway, try to enjoy the remaining days at home! Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk more.

Cheers,
Maya

kaisa4282

Postby kaisa4282 » Tue, 27 May 2008 7:25 am

Hi all,

I also feel the same anxiety. I am moving to Singapore on July 2, and the nerves are just building more and more! I leave my current "home" in a week and then spend a month traveling before relocating. On the flip side, Ive been doing a long distance relationship for the past year, and my boyfriend is in Singapore (since Feb) - however he will probably be away on business for most of the first couple months I am there!

Moving is always a big stressor, and starting from scratch in a new place can be a challenge, but really exciting! So have no fear - we are not the only ones!

vjsimon
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vjsimon » Tue, 27 May 2008 12:10 pm

There is no need to worry at all people... Singapore is a very accommodating and a nice place to live and to work. As long as you have good people around you, it will be an enjoyable and worthwhile stay in this tiny island called Singapore. Njoy...:)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 30 May 2008 5:52 am

The worst must be the packing! Crikey how i hate it, and for 3 years now i have been meaning to pack my stuff up in the UK, now we are settled here, and still i find it a struggle to do, or even get a company to do it for me.

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Fri, 30 May 2008 10:00 am

ksl wrote:The worst must be the packing! Crikey how i hate it, and for 3 years now i have been meaning to pack my stuff up in the UK, now we are settled here, and still i find it a struggle to do, or even get a company to do it for me.

Isn't that what a wife's for? :P :lol:

wino
Regular
Regular

Postby wino » Sat, 31 May 2008 5:49 pm

I moved here from the UK 3 weeks ago - I spent all my time just before the move sorting out stuff there and hardly gave a thought to what it would actually be like over here! But I came with my husband which is obviously a bit different.

Other than missing your husband, you have nothing at all to be worried about in terms of being over here. I'm finding it such an easy place to live - and have been on my own for some of it. This forum is a godsend - there are groups that meet up with new people coming each time as well as people with a bit of experience - you'll meet some great people from all over the world really easily.

If you want to send me a private message and I'll give you my email address/phone number. I'm not working at the moment so could even help you out with finding somewhere to live if you like!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 3:02 am

Jeppo wrote:
ksl wrote:The worst must be the packing! Crikey how i hate it, and for 3 years now i have been meaning to pack my stuff up in the UK, now we are settled here, and still i find it a struggle to do, or even get a company to do it for me.

Isn't that what a wife's for? :P :lol:
Not mine, mine works 12 hrs a day, and I'm the one of leisure, well that's what i thought, but now, I'm looking forward to a bit of work, it comes in spasms, at my age. a bit like sex :D God that's hard work, too, but what a way to go to heaven or hell, with a smile on your face! :P,

Then the nightmare begins, that you haven't spent all your money, and the gigolo's move in on all the hard earned cash! That's what happens when you have attractive younger women in your life

That's just a reminder, that i should spend as much as possible before the lights go out :lol: My oldman was a devil for the rich women, that's how i know!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 3:12 am

Was you a wino, before or after arriving :D Nice nickname, hope you are taking it easy in the heat! Welcome to Singapore, you will love it compared to blighty.