Singapore Expats Forum

Tuas checkpoint madness

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Mon, 16 Jun 2008 4:47 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:Sorry, but Malaysia is a breeze in comparison.

Disclaimer : PC is not widely practised within the Asian community so please don't come down hard on this post ! Stay away if it is too much for you to stomach.

A Malaysian once told me he was shocked by the lax security when travelling via Malaysian Airline (unlike other American airliners) back home. They were unconcerned about passengers lugguges and security. It is a Muslim country and they won't bomb their own. :o . I understand his logic but incidences have taken place in Indonesia too.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:09 pm

Wow! What a topic jump.

Airline security is crap the world over. It wasn't so long ago the press in the UK highlighted how it's reporter on several occassions got into Heathrow "through the backdoor" and within touching distance of planes.

Another newspaper highlighted how a convicted criminal was now cleaning planes there since the contractor doesn't have the time to do background checks.

And don't kid yourself that airlines in America are any better! It wasn't so long ago that a terrible event happened on US soil, and there have been a few tests since 2001 that have shown as many leaks there than anywhere else. Now, i fly quite a bit and have grown used to the security to some respects but unless i really have, i'll never go to the US again.