Singapore Expats Forum

The Ugly Singaporean

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 31 May 2008 11:44 pm

durain wrote:
Plavt wrote:
hk203 wrote:
The one eye cleric..couldn't be bother to remember his name...and many more i guess..

Abu Hamza but he is a British subject by marriage, nothing to do with benefits.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3749402.stm

his whole clan is milking the british gov, isn't he? and he is not the only one!

This is quite so according to British newspapers, although I think plavt may not have read, that at least 7 or 8 of the family are on benefits, plus the children too, and his other wives, that he has. I have read the article sometime ago, but unless the government can prove any break in the law, nothing can be done. I think it is wrong that muslims get special treatment if they have more than one wife, I believe the government keeps these laws away from public sight, for the simply reason, it would cause conflict...

The only response one will get from any social service centre regarding state welfare, is that each case is treated on its own merits, is case was under review, although I agree, he is using the tax payers money, to fight for his beliefs, and the UK although very open to other cultures, need to put it's foot down, when it comes to religion or any faith, for that matter. Just my observation! He is one bad potato!

I believe it to be true, that many muslims, use the UK as their base, because the state can look after the families, while on welfare benefits, while the man of the house, goes on doing his intended deeds..the papers say he only came back for treatment, although his wife and kids here are all on welfare, and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't also married abroad too! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7234072.stm

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:56 am

ksl wrote:The only response one will get from any social service centre regarding state welfare,

Not entirely true the law states a figure an individual or family needs to live on and it is this criteria which is used to assess an individual or group of individuals.

although I agree, he is using the tax payers money, to fight for his beliefs,

I doubt it, should you care to read through at least some of the 911 commission report, it is clear terrorist funding is coming from elsewhere and the movement of monies undetectable.

He is one bad potato!

True.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 2:20 am

lets put it this way, they are on the dole so they got all the time in the world to plan their bombing and terrorist stuff. and when they get nicked, they are on legal aid. everything funded by the taxpayer.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 1:37 pm

durain wrote:lets put it this way, they are on the dole so they got all the time in the world to plan their bombing and terrorist stuff. and when they get nicked, they are on legal aid. everything funded by the taxpayer.

Nonsense, they are not 'all on the dole'. Should you care to read various accounts a good many were either students or had legitimate jobs. Please note a good many immigrants to the UK never claim any benefits and have no idea they are entitled to them! Legal aid is very difficult tget nowadays. While there are many things that annoy me, I find it very sad that people should single out various groups of people to attribute a country or world's woes to. :roll:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 9:22 pm

On the one hand I'm glad that this thread has veered toward the ugly Brit rather than the ugly Singaporean. On the other hand, stop hijacking our thread! :P

I am an ugly Singaporean... until I get my make-up on in the morning! :D

Just curious though. Is the term 'ugly Brit' commonly used, or 'ugly American' or 'ugly <insert>', or is it just us Singaporeans who have the honour of such special nomenclature? To my knowledge no other nation so freely calls themselves 'ugly so-and-so'. If only we are ugly, then is it because we really are worse than others or because we're the only ones honest enough to look our darker side in the face and call it for what it is?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:18 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:On the one hand I'm glad that this thread has veered toward the ugly Brit rather than the ugly Singaporean. On the other hand, stop hijacking our thread! :P

I am an ugly Singaporean... until I get my make-up on in the morning! :D

Just curious though. Is the term 'ugly Brit' commonly used, or 'ugly American' or 'ugly <insert>', or is it just us Singaporeans who have the honour of such special nomenclature? To my knowledge no other nation so freely calls themselves 'ugly so-and-so'. If only we are ugly, then is it because we really are worse than others or because we're the only ones honest enough to look our darker side in the face and call it for what it is?

Now i'm getting excited! 8-[ there is something very attractive about the rawness of nature, actually there are thousands if not millions of ugly Brits, Americans, and every other race on the planet....cannot be helped, if they where at the end of the queue, when looks were being dished out.

I'm no spring chicken either, but i have to be positive about my looks, otherwise life will be unbearable...it's sad, that some are really so ugly, me and my wife can sit for hours just looking at people and wondering why are they so unlucky, although I wouldn't really call it ugliness, more genetically primitive perhaps...

In the end i decided, I don't really care for the beauty on the outside, it's really more trouble than it's worth, and even beautiful women have a problem with it. Guy's well that's another matter! The point is there is a partner suitable for everyone, somewhere in the world, and a persons character is much more rewarding.

For many years I used to be very critical of the opposite sex, alot of it was because of my love for athletics, I couldn't date anyone, that didn't have the right form, legs, shape, wrists, neck, hip size, boobs, all my mates used to think i was kind of freaky because i was never attracted to good looks, but more gracefulness, slimness, with a muscular frame and small to medium boobies. I won't go into the finer details, but there are quite a few....like i hate women that shave their arm pits.

I like raw, female, athletic stamina without make up, with strong sound health...Just goes to show how the eyes can deceive you, my wife is none of them! So I'm still living in dreamland!

She's much younger than myself, and keeps reminding me of the fact too, that i haven't made her a millionairess yet! Oh well! life goes on and surprisingly two uglies made a beauty! When my wife and myself scrutinise my daughter, we are looking for the parts, that belong to us! ha! :lol: To true she lives up to her mothers name, yet she doesn't understand why I'm so old and look so young :wink:
Last edited by ksl on Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:33 pm

ksl, get off the alcohol already!

'Ugly' here refers to behaviour, not looks lah!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:52 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:ksl, get off the alcohol already!

'Ugly' here refers to behaviour, not looks lah!
Alcohol, that's a good idea, oh yes, were was I.. :???: oops sorry, that's what happens when watching TV at the same time i guess! :roll:

chitlins

Postby chitlins » Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:22 pm

EADG wrote:you must have had bad luck, I've never had that problem in NY, for my old Saab one minor break in (vent window broken, no vandalism, nothing stolen); my new Accura - no problems, and I always parked on the street

I also can't attest to my friends doing as you say, outside of where in multi-car familes often the commuter vehicle was the beater to keep the newer one in better condition, the roads being what they are in NY with the winter potholes, etc.

chitlins wrote:Once, in 1991, every single car on the street I lived in in N.Y. City was walked over, and get this: had its windscreen kicked in!!!!!!!!

All my friends and neighbours have had their cars stolen so often, they just do not bother to buy decent new cars anymore. They go out of their way to get really old scrap cars, the ones whose body panels are hanging on just by a thread, and spend big bucks to get them running reliably again. Kind of a "stealth limousine!!!!!!!!" The insides, engine, etc are immaculate, but looking at the swiss-cheese pockmarked moon-cratered bodywork, no street tough would ever guess it!!!!!!!

Yes, Singapore has got its little peculiarities, and even 1 or 2 problems, but compared to London or New York, it is like paradise on earth!!!!!!!!

I suppose then New York together with London, U.K. must be one of the most polarizing cities as far as public opinion is concerned. It seems like 1/2 of the people polled think London is some kind of civil, polite paradise, and the other 1/2 think it is Skinhead Central.

In the old days in N.Y., I mean the really bad old days (pre-Giuliani), people would not venture out of their own neighbourhoods. I can only surmise that you could possibly be one of these people. No shame in that. Most New Yorkers have lived through times when after work, they run like mad from subway station into their apartments, lock all 3 locks, and do not venture out again until day breaks.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 12:08 am

ksl wrote:
I'm no spring chicken either, but i have to be positive about my looks, otherwise life will be unbearable...it's sad, that some are really so ugly, me and my wife can sit for hours just looking at people and wondering why are they so unlucky, although I wouldn't really call it ugliness, more genetically primitive perhaps...

LOL, you are super funny without even trying! "Genetically primitive"..... is that a new term? Looking at your avatar, I would say you are "genetically advance" although I myself don't care for moobs. Makes me feel competitive and self -conscous :P .

WIMH, the term "ugly" is not used only on Singaporeans but it was commonly used to describe Americans during their economic heydays when many could afford to travel overseas and might not be gracious in their host country. Although I myself don't have much of a problem witht the americans in this respect. Sometimes, it is a matter of perspective, e.g. antii american sentiments expressed in other parts of the world and consequently not welcome there . I have also seen it used on other nationalities to describe undesirable behaviours. Hope that will help you sleep better knowing Singaporeans are not the only "ugly" species in the world :P .

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 1:26 am

Makes me feel competitive and self -conscous
Then it's a good thing :lol:

Ugliness is having to put up with British larger louts, and football hooligns I can be very ashamed of being British some times, although they are a minority. Most British are friendly and well mannered.

I like to make people laugh if possible, I'm a sticker for the small details, some would say I'm a perfectionist, I mean just look at some of these nicks, WIMH and Earthfriendly, I can almost feel my feet lifting off the ground, because you are all so in touch with life and the universe, it's wonderful. :shock: I feel your beauty! :)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 9:58 am

I know from Europe that Germans refer to some tourists as 'Ugly Germans' as well as Australians with 'Ugly Australians', also in reference to traveling imbeciles.

Brits on Tour is a more common name, I guess, but it kind of makes fun of them instead, but I guess this refers more to the cricket and rugby fans traveling with their teams.

Ugly Singaporeans? I hear that a lot from Malaysians about Singaporeans, woh do have an attitude to the northern cousins.

'nuff said Image

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 5:31 pm

Thanks EF and V. Good to know the whole world's ugly! :mrgreen:

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 6:25 pm

I think the term 'ugly' had to originate with the Americans... after all, Americans were the ones who could travel to Mexico with the understanding that if you could just holler 'MILK' in a very loud voice this would somehow eliminate the need to actually use the Spanish word.

Americans have been ugly in many senses of the word... insensitive to different cultures, boorish... you name it, Americans have done it. No doubt the Europeans have done it to some extent as well but at least you have the benefit of different nations close by.

BUT... the new 'ugly' traveler is the Chinese. How about etiquette lessons for the Chinese coming to Singapore? No spitting, can't piss in the bushes. Or even in Shanghai, no, you can't pull your kid's pants down and let him sh*t next to the tree in the park (yes, I have observed this).

So, it's all relative. There are ugly people everywhere. Those of us (of every race and culture) who have at least some primitive sense of 'snap' that we need to be aware do have the obligation to inform our somewhat denser breathern (and sisteren!) of the benefits of cultural awareness.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 8:56 pm

ksl wrote:I can almost feel my feet lifting off the ground, because you are all so in touch with life and the universe, it's wonderful. :shock: I feel your beauty! :)

Hey WIMH- any idea what the lad's drinking lately ?! Is it that vinegar stuff ?! He's gone all sort of Nancy-boyish ! Great oddness you are at times lumpy one ! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'