Singapore Expats Forum

The Ugly Singaporean

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 29 May 2008 6:18 pm

Superglide wrote:Well, so I ask: What do you like about UK?

The UK from my point of view is unique, in its history and architecture and probably one of the most quaint Countries in the world, with beautiful countryside in the North and further across the borders into Scotland.

It cannot be compared to parts of Europe of which are flat, I believe one needs to have a little understanding of local history to get the full benefits of the cultures landscape...It is quite natural for those born and raised in a Country, to love it until the end...

I most certainly wouldn't swap, the country because of boredom, the UK, I could never get bored with, and one day, I will take the greatest of pleasure of travelling around the coastline, which will probably take a year or two, to really get to know, the Country.

Sadly the downfall of UK, is a government issue as well as a public issue. The sooner the welfare state is scrapped the better, although needs have to be put in place for the weaker of society, I would hate it to end up like the USA, but the plans, appear to be based on the USA.

With many areas of wealth secluded in private and residential areas with 24 hour guards, especially around Sunbury London.

The more further away from the real world the better, although like i have always said, the UK is far from a democracy, I can accept it, I just feel that it's wrong...But most people are hoodwinked by politics, because of a lack of understanding...

I would and hope to move back, although it has nothing to offer! After paying tax in Europe at a base of 42% for 25 years, and the tax I have paid in UK, more than likely works out the same, when National Insurance is taken into account..and the UK want to give me 80 a week after retirement. is a Joke! Is it not?

Although that's another topic altogether, the UK is one of the best Countries in the world, for weather too, even though it may rain more up the north, than it does in the south, it is not all rainy UK.

Every village as its own identity, along with every City, not like other Countries, that have identical shopping malls, and buildings, So yes I love the UK. I hate the prices, the politics, and the decline in social responsibilities.

While MP's have allowances for 2nd homes is around 23k a year, which have been kept secret until now!

It shows in the light of day, that parliament is a cliche of Rasputin for the monarchy, although the monarchy as long been the puppet on a string, while the Rasputin's rob the people of their pride and every ounce of wealth and industry selling out to the highest bidders outside of Europe. England needs a revolution! There is most certainly no european unity within the UK's aristocratic rulers and British law rules, over European law, until proven otherwise, to prove otherwise will take a minimum 5 years.
Last edited by ksl on Thu, 29 May 2008 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 29 May 2008 6:19 pm

QRM wrote: No, they suggest it could have been a stone thrown up by a passing car!!.

The wit and wisdom of the British police.:x

I have seen a bunch of council kids thinks it funny to walk over all the cars instead of pavements. A friends car had boot print dent in the boot, roof, and bonnet after this stunt.

I often wish the school-day here started at 7.am like Singapore and was rigidly enforced then maybe the little brats involved would at least be in their beds sooner. Trouble is they would finish school earlier. 8-[ 8-[

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 29 May 2008 6:36 pm

Ksl,
I don't think the welfare state is any way to blame for our current woes, more the hapless administrative practices and people involved in such.
A recent TV news items mentions around 5 billion in benefits finds goes unclaimed every year, shamefully it is those born in the UK such as pensioners who are too often the losers despite paying for it in the first place.

I agree there is stacks of history and scenery around Britain which would take a life time to uncover.

Regarding the title of the thread; rudeness racism, crime is every where in every country but some places such as Singapore and Japan to name a few have low crime rates. Just depends what the individual likes and values about the society they might happen to be in.

hk203
Regular
Regular

Postby hk203 » Fri, 30 May 2008 11:07 am

\
Last edited by hk203 on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nailah
Regular
Regular

Postby Nailah » Fri, 30 May 2008 12:18 pm

durain wrote:you should carry a baby in your arm, rucksack over your shoulder and try to get a seat on a packed bus. 8 out of 10 is an ang moh who would offer me a seat, either male or female. local will just look away and try not to have eye contact with me.

... or fall into a sudden deeeeeeep sleep before you even finish that snap of your fingers.... :roll:

Then again, that happens outside Singapore too.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 May 2008 1:27 pm

yeah but you can't set your watch by it in other countries. :P

Nailah
Regular
Regular

Postby Nailah » Fri, 30 May 2008 1:51 pm

^^ LOL!

Hey but maybe... we can wake them up...?

Years ago, I did asked a guy if he'd give up his seat to an old lady standing (or shaking) infront of him... Maybe he'd rather not lose face than to say no to my "plea"... probably hated me... :P

chitlins

Postby chitlins » Sat, 31 May 2008 4:47 pm

QRM wrote:London

The impression of a more gentlemanly manner in London, such as opening doors etc, could be due to the fact that unlike here, if you left a door to swing in their face, or barged in on a train, or do some daft maneuvers on the road, people are more likely to call you a tosser in your face.

Crime its getting a bit out of hand there, everyone I know who has a car in London has at one point in time had it broken into, mines been vandalized four times. I don’t even bother reporting it to the police. They have to massage the books so it doesn’t look like a crime, they asked if I saw the actual act of vandalism, No, they suggest it could have been a stone thrown up by a passing car!!. So it cannot be recorded as a crime. This occurs not in some war torn suburb but what many would term as a good neighbourhood.
I have seen a bunch of council kids thinks it funny to walk over all the cars instead of pavements. A friends car had boot print dent in the boot, roof, and bonnet after this stunt.

Well said!!!!!! When I read your post, I jumped up with a start. Having lived and worked in New York City all my life, and yes, having had all of the things you describe happen to my cars, I can empathize with you!!!!!

Once, in 1991, every single car on the street I lived in in N.Y. City was walked over, and get this: had its windscreen kicked in!!!!!!!!

All my friends and neighbours have had their cars stolen so often, they just do not bother to buy decent new cars anymore. They go out of their way to get really old scrap cars, the ones whose body panels are hanging on just by a thread, and spend big bucks to get them running reliably again. Kind of a "stealth limousine!!!!!!!!" The insides, engine, etc are immaculate, but looking at the swiss-cheese pockmarked moon-cratered bodywork, no street tough would ever guess it!!!!!!!

Yes, Singapore has got its little peculiarities, and even 1 or 2 problems, but compared to London or New York, it is like paradise on earth!!!!!!!!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Sat, 31 May 2008 5:05 pm

We also did the same, if the car was clean and shiny it was like a magnet to dickheads.
When we go to a car wash it’s for the inside only, the outside has not been washed for a year, just the number plate and lights are cleaned once a month. So far it works, the council estate knobs don’t want to dirty their designer sneakers climbing over the car.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 31 May 2008 6:05 pm

hk203 wrote:I just don't understand why the UK goverment allows those hard line muslim cleric to stay there and claim social benefits???? That's a complete stupidity. He would probably be using that money to buy explosives and bomb his neighbour...One must work for their own money...not other tax payers money....

I really don't know just who you are referring to? A number of those involved in terrorist activities are British subjects. I doubt that social benefits played any part in buying explosives since benefits are subject to considerable scrutiny of an individual or groups such as families.

hk203
Regular
Regular

Postby hk203 » Sat, 31 May 2008 7:51 pm

\
Last edited by hk203 on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 31 May 2008 9:08 pm

hk203 wrote:
The one eye cleric..couldn't be bother to remember his name...and many more i guess..

Abu Hamza but he is a British subject by marriage, nothing to do with benefits.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3749402.stm

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sat, 31 May 2008 10:13 pm

you must have had bad luck, I've never had that problem in NY, for my old Saab one minor break in (vent window broken, no vandalism, nothing stolen); my new Accura - no problems, and I always parked on the street

I also can't attest to my friends doing as you say, outside of where in multi-car familes often the commuter vehicle was the beater to keep the newer one in better condition, the roads being what they are in NY with the winter potholes, etc.

chitlins wrote:Once, in 1991, every single car on the street I lived in in N.Y. City was walked over, and get this: had its windscreen kicked in!!!!!!!!

All my friends and neighbours have had their cars stolen so often, they just do not bother to buy decent new cars anymore. They go out of their way to get really old scrap cars, the ones whose body panels are hanging on just by a thread, and spend big bucks to get them running reliably again. Kind of a "stealth limousine!!!!!!!!" The insides, engine, etc are immaculate, but looking at the swiss-cheese pockmarked moon-cratered bodywork, no street tough would ever guess it!!!!!!!

Yes, Singapore has got its little peculiarities, and even 1 or 2 problems, but compared to London or New York, it is like paradise on earth!!!!!!!!
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sat, 31 May 2008 10:41 pm

Plavt wrote:
hk203 wrote:
The one eye cleric..couldn't be bother to remember his name...and many more i guess..

Abu Hamza but he is a British subject by marriage, nothing to do with benefits.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3749402.stm

his whole clan is milking the british gov, isnt he? and he is not the only one!

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 31 May 2008 11:29 pm

durain wrote:
his whole clan is milking the british gov, isnt he? and he is not the only one!

........................ :???: