Singapore Expats Forum

The Ugly Singaporean

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 May 2008 2:25 pm

Don't know, wasn't here, not British either.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Thu, 22 May 2008 2:51 pm

I, for one, welcome our Malaysian/Indonesian overlords. Hope they have cookies.
some signatures are more equal than others

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 22 May 2008 3:22 pm

trinity511 wrote:You mean like the british did during WWII ???

I think you need to take a little trip to Canning Hill Fort and find out what exactly happened. Yes the British were unprepared but saying 'they did not lift a finger' smacks of sheer arrogance.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 22 May 2008 4:31 pm

Then you can go to Fort Silso on Sentosa and see that joke of firing gun at the top of the fort, why didn’t they just leave the original, rather than make that daft plastic one with a puff of smoke, I was expecting bugs bunny to jump out the barrel, so disrespectful to all those that did suffer during the war.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 22 May 2008 4:37 pm

QRM wrote:Then you can go to Fort Silso on Sentosa and see that joke of firing gun at the top of the fort, why didn’t they just leave the original, rather than make that daft plastic one with a puff of smoke, I was expecting bugs bunny to jump out the barrel, so disrespectful to all those that did suffer during the war.

There would no doubt have been a reason so why don't you ask whoever is concerned? However, that is not the issue that is being discussed in this thread.

By the way you have a PM regarding something else, don't know why it is remaining in my outbox.

trinity511

Postby trinity511 » Thu, 22 May 2008 7:17 pm

Plavt wrote:
I think you need to take a little trip to Canning Hill Fort and find out what exactly happened. Yes the British were unprepared but saying 'they did not lift a finger' smacks of sheer arrogance.

The quote was meant tongue in check, as Singapore was conceeded to inferior numbers as it is pointed out at the Changi Memorial. No need to be so sensitive.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Thu, 22 May 2008 8:55 pm

banana wrote:I, for one, welcome our Malaysian/Indonesian overlords. Hope they have cookies.

Have you been playing GTA Vice city by any chance?

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Thu, 22 May 2008 9:12 pm

Forks wrote:
banana wrote:I, for one, welcome our Malaysian/Indonesian overlords. Hope they have cookies.

Have you been playing GTA Vice city by any chance?

No! Did they say that in the game? Everyone's raving on about GTA4 I'm getting a little tempted to purchase a console just for it.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Sat, 24 May 2008 11:45 am

There is a line in the game just like that, but instead of the Malaysians/Indonesians its the Russians.

Id recomend the PC version and save having to get a console just for that. But the rest of the series is amazing so Im going to get IV as soon as I finish San Andreas GTA :D

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Sat, 24 May 2008 3:15 pm

Has GTA4 been released for PC already? Definitely looking forward to unleashing some ugliness!

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Sat, 24 May 2008 6:50 pm

is STMOP really "beloved" in singapore? (not rhetorical)

i always assumed it was a portal created by SPH (and advertised/promoted free or with heavy subsidies through their existing products) to generate income and news.

if it was independent i'd be less wary. but it sure is fun reading the cut'n'pasted materials (from stomp) on other message boards featuring various singaporean antics.

i hope with time, singaporeans gets more gracious and appealing. but with the number of rude young people outnumbering the older bunch, i'm pessimistically optimistic.

or perhaps i just come in contact with rude young people more than rude old people.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 25 May 2008 7:02 am

ahhh....just back from NY and of course this is the first thread I saw

The feeling I got while there, the feeling I always get while there, ostensibly from being accustomed to being here, is/was, 'wow, everyone is so human to each other in NY" (read 'normal') - as if being civil to your fellow man, whether being a taxi driver, store clerk, stranger on the street, etc., took some sort of effort, where actually it's the opposite. And that what people say to each other has depth rather than platitudes.

And while home I try explaining what this means to friends and family, and always find myself saying the same things - that in Singapore the majority of those people I know, work with, etc. are quite nice, caring people; the majority of those I don't know, those on the street, in stores, etc. choose to display false confidence and pettiness to the people around them, which shows in everything they do, like the trademark Singaporean flapping hand waves in conversation a bit too close to the people near them but not in their group, rush queues, steal taxis, talk too loud too long during movies, not apologize when accidently bumping into each other, etc.

All for fear of loosing face? Is external acceptance really that important? If only it was one self-centred, insensitive idiot.

There are wonderful exceptions, like the auntie at the MacDonald’s I occasionally visit for breakfast, who always smiles when she sees me, calls in my 'no meat' McMuffin order before I get in line, and asks me if I've been busy as to why I haven't been by, followed by " nicedaythankyoubyebyeseeyouagain". She is a sweetheart and a reason I go back there, but in NY she would be unremarkable.

It's a vibe, not a phenomena, and you witness it on the bus, in the cinemas, in the elevators, and yes, when holding a door open for someone or letting someone get off the elevator before you and rarely getting a polite acknowledgement unless it's from a foreigner.

I think taxico & SMS hit it on the head by exposing something like STOMP as something that seems to be needed here because people don't know how to stand up and be counted for their own contributions towards making things better, and rather let something lead them towards it, however slowly.

baaah baahh baahhh
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

andy21
Regular
Regular

Postby andy21 » Mon, 26 May 2008 10:20 am

One of the reasons why Singaporeans are so unhelpful or uncaring or apathetic is that Singaporeans are generally extremely fearful of being singled out for anything at all, even for doing a good thing if it means everyone's attention will be turned towards them. They are afraid they will somehow incur the disapproval of other people, even if it's just something like giving up one's seat to someone who needs it more.

It's the way Singaporeans have been socially engineered over the years. I have some very personal views on why SIngaporeans behave the way they do, but these views are extremely politically sensitive and I'm not sure airing them here is permitted or safe, sad but true.

Of course, they're also the plain idiots, and every society has its fair share of those.

Edited for some terrible spelling.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Mon, 26 May 2008 4:17 pm

EADG wrote:ahhh....just back from NY and of course this is the first thread I saw

The feeling I got while there, the feeling I always get while there, ostensibly from being accustomed to being here, is/was, 'wow, everyone is so human to each other in NY" (read 'normal') - as if being civil to your fellow man, whether being a taxi driver, store clerk, stranger on the street, etc., took some sort of effort, where actually it's the opposite. And that what people say to each other has depth rather than platitudes.

And while home I try explaining what this means to friends and family, and always find myself saying the same things - that in Singapore the majority of those people I know, work with, etc. are quite nice, caring people; the majority of those I don't know, those on the street, in stores, etc. choose to display false confidence and pettiness to the people around them, which shows in everything they do, like the trademark Singaporean flapping hand waves in conversation a bit too close to the people near them but not in their group, rush queues, steal taxis, talk too loud too long during movies, not apologize when accidently bumping into each other, etc.

All for fear of loosing face? Is external acceptance really that important? If only it was one self-centred, insensitive idiot.

There are wonderful exceptions, like the auntie at the MacDonald’s I occasionally visit for breakfast, who always smiles when she sees me, calls in my 'no meat' McMuffin order before I get in line, and asks me if I've been busy as to why I haven't been by, followed by " nicedaythankyoubyebyeseeyouagain". She is a sweetheart and a reason I go back there, but in NY she would be unremarkable.

It's a vibe, not a phenomena, and you witness it on the bus, in the cinemas, in the elevators, and yes, when holding a door open for someone or letting someone get off the elevator before you and rarely getting a polite acknowledgement unless it's from a foreigner.

I think taxico & SMS hit it on the head by exposing something like STOMP as something that seems to be needed here because people don't know how to stand up and be counted for their own contributions towards making things better, and rather let something lead them towards it, however slowly.

baaah baahh baahhh
=D> =D> =D> =D>
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Mon, 26 May 2008 4:25 pm

EADGGAGAGGA:

wa heeeeey. you a new yorker? i'm a new yorker! wadya say, EADDDGAGGADG?

SUPERGLIDE:

is superglide (i SWEAR this is an honest question) a name of the bike or does it confirm my suspicion that i've seen it before on a costco shelf?

EVERYONE ELSE:

i'm not writing anything related to the OT.

SUPERGLIDE (pt 2):

i came into this thread only because i saw your unique handle. (OH NO! THIS TIME IT'S PUN INTENDED!)