Singapore Expats Forum

The Ugly Singaporean

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:21 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:
banana wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:Banana, stop that silly joy dance you're doing. Sigh, now you probably think I adulate you. :roll: :P

Oh but you do ;)

Now that fits your definition of 'reducto (sic) ad absurdum'! :lol:

:lol: sure does. it's yours that worries me! :P
some signatures are more equal than others

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Thu, 12 Jun 2008 3:31 pm

I had the misfortune to go to the Singapore High Comm here to get a certificate authenticated and was appalled and disgusted at the way the staff treat people coming in for visa applications - it was quite dehumanising and totally our of place.

I was so furious that I told the all off in no uncertain terms - quite loudly as well (after I got my certificate back, of course :wink: )

This can't be placed at the feet of Singaporeans alone as front-line staff are usually locals, in this case three Indians.
Not one smile, not one 'hello' - nothing.

How about some training?!

I was so incensed that I wrote a complain e-mail to the Foreign Office and the High Comm itself and even received a reply from Singapore apologising and telling me that someone would get in touch with me.

This is the first impression that many people get about Singapore before they start their journey, so now it is not only Singaporeans giving themselves a bad name, it is also Malaysians in Singapore's employ.:x :x

Earlier in the week I went to the NZ High Comm for the same thing and was greeted very pleasantly and my request was handled within 5 minutes with a 'thank you'.
- Thank God for Darwin -

chitlins

Postby chitlins » Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:41 pm

You sound like an Australian guy I know. This guy travels quite a lot, and every time he meets counter staff or service staff that he is not satisfied with in some way, he proceeds to throw a tantrum, shouting, screaming and yelling at them, hurling all kinds of vile verbal abuse. Quite frankly, all the people acquainted with him are at a loss at how he is able to live to his current ripe middle age. :)

No offence meant, but if you meet counter staff that you don't like, just walk away and don't patronize their outfit again. And that applies to all of Singapore, Inc., too.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 13 Jun 2008 3:55 pm

throw a tantrum, shouting, screaming and yelling at them, hurling all kinds of vile verbal abuse

Did I say that? Hardly. One can raise one's voice without shouting, screaming and the use of vile abuse.

Anyway, it is not an establishment one can avoid - please read, it was the High Commission.
- Thank God for Darwin -

hiking out

Postby hiking out » Fri, 13 Jun 2008 5:58 pm

Ah ha!, its's the Malaysians again, knew it,

Wasn't it a Malaysian newspaper article that prompted Ozchick to start this thread?

Cutiebutie,

I gather that there are quite a few fraudsters or "undesirables" who will try various scams to obtain visas so that may explain though not excuse, the attitude of the staff. I do not suppose you fit that profile, :) still I think you are quite justified to feel that way and good for you to complain.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 13 Jun 2008 8:07 pm

:D I hardly need a visa to go home! :D
- Thank God for Darwin -

hiking out

Postby hiking out » Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:54 am

I thought you were referring to "people coming in for visa applications" ?

so the Malaysians were rude to Singaporeans, not too surprising, but wait,weren't they employed by the Singapore High Commission. How can?
:mad:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge

eyeFone

Postby eyeFone » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 5:51 pm

Interesting thread, I followed a link here and ended up reading all nine pages! (Friday afternoon... clock watching...)

bearing in mind that I have only visited Singapore a couple of times - this is how I see it;

A lot of the annoying quircks, anti-social behavior, lack of civility mentioned I can relate to, however (from this thread) it seems to annoy the expats in Singapore more than the expats in Shanghai. I can only imagine that it's worse here - I doubt many of you have had phlegm spray your face as the taxi driver gobs out of the open window....

I could be totaly wrong, but maybe it's a case of expectations. Do you expect more from Singaporeans because we believe the country to be 'first world'? It seems that the local population are more forced into behaving than it coming naturally. I read somewhere the measure of how civic minded a society is can be observed by how many laws are in place to dictate social behaviour.

Maybe the Singapore Chinese population is not so far removed from their mainland cousins as they'd like to think (please don't misinterpret that as meaning the other ethnic minorites are blameless, I can only comment on the Mainland Chinese because I'm currently living in China).

I appreciate the insight this forum has given me, I will be moving to Singapore in a month or so and will hapilly maintain the same expectations of the locals there as I do here :)

Looking forward to it!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 6:19 pm

eyeFone,

There you have it. In a nutshell. The whole world get to listen to the rulers here traveling around the world saying look at us, look at us, see how smart we are, see how advanced we are, yadda, yadda, yadda. We get sucked into that BS and when the opportunity arises to do a posting here everybody jumps at it. What they don't really know and only come to appreciate AFTER signing on the dotted line is that it's only the infrastructure that is 1st world. That's when the fun begins........ :cool:

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 6:37 pm

It will be very interesting when F1 rolls into town in September with it's thousands of journalist and TV crews. I bet there will be a few things that the government don't want to be filmed and reported worldwide!!

Am I right in saying that it will probably be the first time that Singapore has held an event that will be seen globally?

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 6:54 pm

is max mosley invited to the singapore F1? that would bring extra press in. :wink:

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular

Postby Petales Soufflez! » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:50 pm

But what is 1st world culture, behaviour etc?

In Italy they had a great civilisation, have wonderful art and culture not to mention food and music. But when you live here with the Italians, you see that they are not less kiasu than the Singaporeans, scream louder and complain more, most have not seen the trappings of more modern living and litter just a little less than the Spaniards from Andalusia. The Parisians let their dog shit everywhere, the French in general always crowd the entrance when boarding planes, the Southern Germans do not give up their seats to the elderly but when their neighbour abused some road regulation you can be sure they'll be there to report. Many Americans have not left their hometowns and think that all Chinese come from China. 3 days in Australia and the boys in my class were starting to use vulgar language that they didn't before know. The Brits I know are usually polite to your face and the real bitching takes place behind your back.

Does that make those countries any less 1st world? There is always some redemption for every population in every country. No society is perfect and is your idea of a developed society the same as the next person? I remember my African friends in Paris, their idea of perfect social relations is that of being able to turn up unannounced at a friend's home, be warmly welcomed and fed (and they'll do the same of course for the others). That is my idea of nightmare and impoliteness, if you wish.

Singaporeans can be more gracious etc but it'll have to fit in with the rest of our being. I am not defending us (especially when I'm the seat-giving, door-opening, you-knock-into-me-I-do-the-apologising sort :lol: ) and I certainly think we can improve etc but independent of the outer trappings of civility Singaporeans are generally a nice bunch. Even the gan-nu-lao-bu guy can be a hero in his own way.
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

Gilly
Regular
Regular

Postby Gilly » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:17 pm

That was a very refreshing and honest appraisal PS. And very true.

It droves home the fact that are so quick to judge and condemn for peoples shortcomings.

We all do it. I even do it to my own countrymen! Every time I go home I get pissed with how people are so unfriendly, lazy, slobbish.

Why are nationalistic love songs of one's own country and proud heritage often written from across the ocean! Coincidence? :)

You've inspired and reminded me to be more patient and tolerant. In any case, who are we to judge, are we perfect?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:51 pm

Funny! New paper today, I was reading how a survey of 2155 expatriates spread over 4 continent ranked Singapore 1st and USA/Dubai 2nd based on living standard, the ability to earn & save, popularity, and the level of luxury experienced. HSBC did the survey and there are 300,000 expats living in Singapore, for those that have interest!

I don't really have any complaint, only the weather, and it appears all Singaporeans agree about that too.

Gilly
Regular
Regular

Postby Gilly » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:55 pm

Really? I thought there were more like 1M expats in Singapore.