Singapore Expats Forum

The Ugly Singaporean

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Postby earthfriendly » Thu, 05 Jun 2008 9:52 am

Plavt wrote::o EF you should be Singapore's Pime Minister. :P


:oops: :oops: :oops:

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun, 08 Jun 2008
Location: Shanghai, China

Postby Petales Soufflez! » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 12:13 am

Came to this forum while trying to find buffets and check out housing prices in Singapore. Must say buffets look good but housing no :(

Anyway, it is true that there is and will always have bad blood between Malaysia and Singapore - that's for being so alike and yet so different, and especially so near each other. I have many Malaysian friends and they may study and live in Singapore almost all their lives but you can be sure that they'll always have something negative to say about us. And yet it doesn't look as if they would want to return home for good either.

Nothing to take to heart about, there is good and bad everywhere, most important is for one to know his own value and just be responsible for his own thoughts and actions.

Back to the Malaysian article about Singaporean tourists complaining, I know of other stories that attest to the contrary. Like how this Singaporean nurse was there on holiday (2 weeks) when the earthquake happened and he immediately cancelled his sightseeing plans to volunteer with the Chinese in their aid efforts.

Finally Singaporeans I suspect actually enjoy the Ugly Singaporean countdown, we often have quite a bit of fun trying to outdo each other in giving examples of who knows an uglier fellow countryman. It's part of our national pastimes - besides eating and shopping we do enjoy laughing at ourselves and at others. Especially when there is much to laugh about :lol:
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

hiking out
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu, 15 May 2008
Location: singapore

Postby hiking out » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 2:33 pm

Singaporeans and Malaysians like to rub each other from time to time, quite akin to rivalry between siblilngs or neighbours, perhaps not too different from the rivalry between Australia and NZ; US and Canada, Britain and France.

I have however noticed that Malaysian and Singaporeans then to be quite chummy when they bum into each other in third countries. Not sure if that had been the experience of others here. Perhaps it's a result of shared experiences, in food (yes what else! ), geography (Petra Branca included :D ), culture and politics. For example, GPS mapping enthusiasts from both countries share a common website, Malsing.com, publishing free intergrated maps of Malaysia and Singapore. Jokes about political personalities across both sides of the causeway are also understood and appreciated by both, so was LAT, the comic strip.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun, 08 Jun 2008
Location: Shanghai, China

Postby Petales Soufflez! » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 3:27 pm

I agree with you hiking out as I've been living away from Asia for the past decade and when I have other Asians contacting me through my blog or thru other acquaintances, very often they would include Malaysians and they would be embraced with open arms.

In any case Singaporeans (like me) would often have family in Malaysia and many Malaysians would have at some point had something to do with Singapore (e.g. worked or study there) - at least those in my circle. We understand each other when we talk about our favourite makan and can even exchange recipes etc. We complain about the same things and often have similar interests.

Love-hate you know what they say about that being part of the same coin.
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

User avatar
EADG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu, 01 Sep 2005

Postby EADG » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 9:53 pm

what is the URL for your blog?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Winxkid
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed, 11 Apr 2007

Postby Winxkid » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:17 pm

In the first place, the reaction of a few Singaporeans does not equal to the general public?

And if we were to complain about Us and ask them to think of others' plight. We should in the first place, place ourselves in their shoes. :D

You are in a foreign country, communication means was cutoff from the rest of the world and everyone is rushing to the airport or being sent there. You doesn't know what is going on because You have never encounter a natural disaster before, and there's hundreds of minor earthquakes after that. You are feeling scare, afraid You might die anytime. You are only here for tour and you still have your life and family and friends back here. You are out of place, your mind doesn't know how to react logically in the first place and all You want is to get back home safely.

Over here, We read the news and have time to react logically to what had happen in China. But the interviewees don't.

All I can says is, if they are able to think about the others, it's good. But if they don't, it's understandable. Self-centralized or purely shallow - the TS decide.

Quoting another example, have You ever encounter flights delay in departing due to safety reasons and a few "angmos" jus jump and shout and scream at the ground crews because of it... well, what do You call that? :D

2cents. Happy days
petsgdirectory.blogspot.com

User avatar
banana
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue, 24 May 2005

Postby banana » Tue, 10 Jun 2008 2:39 am

Winxkid wrote:In the first place, the reaction of a few Singaporeans does not equal to the general public?

And if we were to complain about Us and ask them to think of others' plight. We should in the first place, place ourselves in their shoes. :D

You are in a foreign country, communication means was cutoff from the rest of the world and everyone is rushing to the airport or being sent there. You doesn't know what is going on because You have never encounter a natural disaster before, and there's hundreds of minor earthquakes after that. You are feeling scare, afraid You might die anytime. You are only here for tour and you still have your life and family and friends back here. You are out of place, your mind doesn't know how to react logically in the first place and all You want is to get back home safely.

Over here, We read the news and have time to react logically to what had happen in China. But the interviewees don't.

All I can says is, if they are able to think about the others, it's good. But if they don't, it's understandable. Self-centralized or purely shallow - the TS decide.

Quoting another example, have You ever encounter flights delay in departing due to safety reasons and a few "angmos" jus jump and shout and scream at the ground crews because of it... well, what do You call that? :D

2cents. Happy days


That is exactly the problem with the 'Ugly Singaporean'. Everything is so efficient and taken care of by the government that self preservation becomes such a big deal.

You (not you winxkid, but the panicking 'Ugly <insert>') are already being taken to safety, is it too much to calm down and consider others who still need help? To consider how you can render aid? Even if you can't, the least you can do is shut up and give thanks.

As for unreasonable "ang mohs", other posters have already established that ugly behaviour exists everywhere. If you've followed mainstream media, not too long ago, the wife of a high profile businessman slapped an air hostess mid flight because she thought the air hostess was flirting with her husband. All involved were Singaporean if I remember correctly. What do you make of that then?
some signatures are more equal than others

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:59 am

banana wrote:You... are already being taken to safety, is it too much to calm down and consider others who still need help? To consider how you can render aid? Even if you can't, the least you can do is shut up and give thanks.

Well said. =D>

Petales Soufflez!
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun, 08 Jun 2008
Location: Shanghai, China

Postby Petales Soufflez! » Tue, 10 Jun 2008 5:13 pm

EADG wrote:what is the URL for your blog?


Er er, not telling. Too popular as it is, can't cope with the attention. :lol:
Je pense donc je suis. Le reste du temps, je ne suis qu'une fleur.

User avatar
banana
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue, 24 May 2005

Postby banana » Tue, 10 Jun 2008 7:27 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
banana wrote:You... are already being taken to safety, is it too much to calm down and consider others who still need help? To consider how you can render aid? Even if you can't, the least you can do is shut up and give thanks.

Well said. =D>


:shock: oh my! I mean, thanks! :lol:
some signatures are more equal than others

User avatar
ozchick
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
Location: Germany

Postby ozchick » Tue, 10 Jun 2008 8:51 pm

banana wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:
banana wrote:You... are already being taken to safety, is it too much to calm down and consider others who still need help? To consider how you can render aid? Even if you can't, the least you can do is shut up and give thanks.

Well said. =D>


:shock: oh my! I mean, thanks! :lol:


She's SUCH a sweet thang ain't she ! Where would we be without WIMH ?
:wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

User avatar
EADG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu, 01 Sep 2005

Postby EADG » Tue, 10 Jun 2008 8:55 pm

(waiting for the baiting....)
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:43 pm

ozchick wrote:She's SUCH a sweet thang ain't she ! Where would we be without WIMH ?
:wink:

Er, left in peace? :)

Banana, stop that silly joy dance you're doing. Sigh, now you probably think I adulate you. :roll: :P

User avatar
banana
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue, 24 May 2005

Postby banana » Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:59 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
ozchick wrote:She's SUCH a sweet thang ain't she ! Where would we be without WIMH ?
:wink:

Er, left in peace? :)

Banana, stop that silly joy dance you're doing. Sigh, now you probably think I adulate you. :roll: :P


Oh but you do ;)
some signatures are more equal than others

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:02 am

banana wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:Banana, stop that silly joy dance you're doing. Sigh, now you probably think I adulate you. :roll: :P


Oh but you do ;)


Now that fits your definition of 'reducto (sic) ad absurdum'! :lol:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: singsys and 4 guests