Singapore Expats

The Ugly Singaporean

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

The Ugly Singaporean

Post by ozchick » Wed, 21 May 2008 5:49 pm

I came across this article in the Malaysian star newspaper last weekend. Gee some people don't miss a chance ofr a bit of cross border rivalry. Cos surely this is all it is !? The Singaporeans described herein are not the ones I come across very often.

May 17, 2008
The ugly Singaporean
INSIGHT DOWN SOUTH
By SEAH CHIANG NEE

Have affluent, educated Singaporeans become too self-centred and insensitive to other people’s plights? Can Singapore be considered a First World city with such boorishness? A mature, developed country isn’t defined only by wealth and education; it is also about humanity and concern for others.

JUSTIFIABLY or not, the disastrous Sichuan earthquake has sparked off a re-look here at a Singaporean characteristic that overshadows his economic achievement.

In a TV interview, a tourist who just returned unhurt complained angrily about his encounter with airport delay and telephone breakdown at a time when the Chinese were frantically rescuing people.

One viewer commented: “He kept complaining bitterly as if the whole world owed him an explanation about the airport delay.”
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 21 May 2008 6:07 pm

Replace "Singaporean" with something like "Any Famous Celebrity" and the same can probably be said.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cutiebutie » Wed, 21 May 2008 7:43 pm

Can Singapore be considered a First World city with such boorishness?
Being a first-world city/country may be why some people are, but one/a few idiot(s) mouthing off does not a country make. :roll:
- Thank God for Darwin -

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 May 2008 8:13 pm

I agreed with you 100% on this one CB.

It's just that, unfortunately, it is that minority that create the bad impressions that people tend to remember and subsequently keep repeating until ultimately what do you get? The birth of another stereotype!

Like the episode a few years ago that made the wrong headlines here about the Mother's in their BMW's & Merc's at the free used textbook give-away for the under-privileged scooping up all that they could get. It does tend to throw the well off in a rather bad light. (The current episode is not the first by all means - I realize you spend a huge amount of time in Europe). But with one of the highest concentration of paper millionaires per capita than almost anywhere else, it is a small percentage. But wow does it stick.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Wed, 21 May 2008 10:08 pm

Being a local , I sometimes have to swallow my pride and agreed on things said about Singaporeans. :( . But, I realised that I should not allow a minor , ignorant group defines the whole lot. I guess it has to start off from an individual to defy all the stereotypes one has to face , especially in front of foreigners.

Being a poster has opened my eyes ( and mind ) on what are expats saying about Singaporeans. Some are just trival while others are just outrageous.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 21 May 2008 10:32 pm

you should carry a baby in your arm, rucksack over your shoulder and try to get a seat on a packed bus. 8 out of 10 is an ang moh who would offer me a seat, either male or female. local will just look away and try not to have eye contact with me.
Last edited by durain on Wed, 21 May 2008 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cutiebutie » Wed, 21 May 2008 10:35 pm

^ and some outright stupid and bitchy, even from male posters, who know who they are. :wink:

Undoubtedly there are some very small -minded people here, and driving a nice car doesn't make them any better.

Mutton dressed as lamb? :D
- Thank God for Darwin -

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 21 May 2008 11:37 pm

One self-centred, insensitive idiot is one too many. And we have too many of those here for sure. And then you have decent-ish people like me :wink: , who while walking to the bus stop a few days ago, stopped and gave thanks that I have both my legs, because so many people in China have just lost theirs. :cry:

Two days ago on the MRT I was standing and minding my own business when suddenly someone poked me in the backside and I turned round ready to glare at the lecherous culprit only to see an old woman grinning at me from her seat and pointing to the just-emptied seat next to her. I smiled back and pointed to the door to indicate I was about to get off. It's people like her who restore my faith in Singaporeans. :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 May 2008 12:28 am

local lad wrote:Being a local , I sometimes have to swallow my pride and agreed on things said about Singaporeans. :( . But, I realised that I should not allow a minor , ignorant group defines the whole lot. I guess it has to start off from an individual to defy all the stereotypes one has to face , especially in front of foreigners.

Being a poster has opened my eyes ( and mind ) on what are expats saying about Singaporeans. Some are just trival while others are just outrageous.
LL, It's just like I tell my wife, rellies and children, there is this thing called "tacit approval". The problem with observing bad/anti-social habits is if you don't register your disapproval with the anti-social person, you are basically say to them that in your eyes it's all right. Now, couple that with the "I don't want to get involved" or "It's none of my business" or "I'm afraid I'll get bashed up" attitude and you have the recipe for escalating anti-social behaviour.

WIMH,

Yes, I've started to see some changes on the long distance bus rides as well in recent months/year. Unfortunately, It's usually the elderly (like me) giving up their seats for pregnant ladies but the young still pretend to be asleep. I've even seen some sitting in the window seat and the aisle seat still empty. :o

Change comes slowly, but it's slowly coming...... :)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 22 May 2008 4:35 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:someone poked me in the backside
i will try that next time i am on the MRT. :P

one843
Regular
Regular

Post by one843 » Thu, 22 May 2008 8:10 am

My family and I choose to live and interact with the local HDB population.

We eat at the coffee shop or at home.

At first it was not nice as we got alot of glares. Kinda like we were not wanted. Then after time we got smiles instead of glares.

We came to understand that the glare were simply looks that said"What are you doing here".

Still to this date for the past 2 and a half years we are the only white people that we see at our local HDB mini mart/coffe shop. When I say only I mean only.

They all recognize us and have come to know what we will need or want to eat. They meet us with a nod or a smile or a pleasant conversation.

The reason I bring this up and how it relates to the OT is that along with that and the fact that I work exclusively with Singaporeans and have VERY limited contact with other white people. I feel that I may see things that others may not.

I see the people not giving up seats, rushing for the MRT, cutting cue at the mini mart. I see how some chinese treat malay different, how some malay treat chinese different, how some indian treat chinese different, and how everyone treats maids different.

Oddly enough the most polite and friendly are the older people.

I wonder from time to time if the rude people are the people that fave 4 of the 5 "C"s and are just pissed off at everybody because they can't seem to achieve that last "C".

Every society have the rude and the polite. The problem could simply be the people in the middle. After all us humanss will always coment about the rude people, and some times spout out the "Cue Lah". However, how often do we turn around and tell the person behind you "Thank you for cueing, that is a polite thing you did for me.

In a way is it not rude not to tell someone the are polite. Why is it the norm to thank some one for giving up there seat, but not the norm to say "thank you" for waiting there turn?
"If you fear change, you fear success"

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Thu, 22 May 2008 9:19 am

durain wrote:you should carry a baby in your arm, rucksack over your shoulder and try to get a seat on a packed bus. 8 out of 10 is an ang moh who would offer me a seat, either male or female. local will just look away and try not to have eye contact with me.
I am with you there Durain, It has happen so often here.

I am trying to open a shop door with pram, baby bag, shopping and often baby in arms and the locals ether wait while I struggle or even more outrageous they squeeze past me when I finally get the door open.

The 9 out of 10 times if someone helps they are an Ang Mo, In fact one Ang mo, (Guy) came over and helped with the door he was also holding a baby.

When ever I see someone struggling with a pram at the top of the stairs or door way I will always offer my help even if I am carrying my toddler.

I will always hold the door open for the next person behind me, a gesture which again I only gets a thank you for from an Ang Mo.

While some will say it’s a cultural difference I am sure many locals find it incredibly rude Ang Mo just grab name cards with one hand and stuff it in their pocket with out looking at it. But surely its just common sense to help some one who is struggling?

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Thu, 22 May 2008 10:00 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
LL, It's just like I tell my wife, rellies and children, there is this thing called "tacit approval". The problem with observing bad/anti-social habits is if you don't register your disapproval with the anti-social person, you are basically say to them that in your eyes it's all right. Now, couple that with the "I don't want to get involved" or "It's none of my business" or "I'm afraid I'll get bashed up" attitude and you have the recipe for escalating anti-social behaviour.
Well, most locals will just ignore for the fear of getting bashed up. Simply put, locals are not very vocal and face-to-face on such things. That's why we have our beloved STOMP website. It is difficult to change one's perception if one is not interested to do so. Hence, I hope by leading an example, my actions somewhat could change the perception of locals , in expats' eyes

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 May 2008 10:19 am

What has stomp accomplished? So far, absolutely nothing that I can see. Standing on the sidelines does not do anything except show no spine. Everybody waits for the government to do something. I hope this country is never attacked by any of your neighbours because with that type of attitude you will lay down and surrender without lifting a finger like a bunch of whimpering puppies.

I will apologize for this now. I'm sorry, but I think that is absolutely pathetic.

I hope you ARE an advocate for change. You will be a very welcome breath of fresh air. My hopes are with you.

trinity511

Post by trinity511 » Thu, 22 May 2008 1:53 pm

[quote="sundaymorningstaple"] I hope this country is never attacked by any of your neighbours because with that type of attitude you will lay down and surrender without lifting a finger like a bunch of whimpering puppies.

You mean like the british did during WWII ???