Singapore Expats

moving to singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
rexwrx

Post by rexwrx » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:03 pm

so to summ up i'd have to look at various sources n the reliable ones are straits times paper (on sat you say?) and online??

also to haggle (that's for sure). what about the rental rates posted on this site under For Lease section? are they on-the-spot market rates? or do i need 2 add on couple of points up?

xernstx wrote:I recommended getting the Straits Times - look in the classifieds (especially Saturday). Even if you have an agent, these listings will give you a 'floor' for the area/building you are looking at.

We were in the process of settling on a unit before I found one in the same building for S$600/month less. Post-haggling, I'm paying S$800/month less for essentially the same unit (not as good a view) in the same building.

Market is cooler now than when I arrived in Nov. so perhaps you have more leverage/can negotiate more.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 2:04 pm

rexwrx wrote:also to haggle (that's for sure). what about the rental rates posted on this site under For Lease section? are they on-the-spot market rates? or do i need 2 add on couple of points up?
They're asking prices, you need to negotiate them down.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague