Singapore Expats Forum

On Advertising

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Jun 2008 8:17 pm

ksl wrote:
Superglide wrote:
banana wrote:
ksl wrote:I have attended quite a few exhibition in Asia over the years, and one thing that sticks out in my mind, which many may not yet have noticed, is that Western Ang Moh sells....

This is unfortunately true. [/size]

Does advertising sell?

Or does it create awareness, does it brand, does it stay in the head?

Don't hype advertising, it's just communications, it's sexy, it's funky at times, but it is not selling.
? :???:

I agree ksl, I think he is completely losing it. Every subsequent post gets further out in left field no matter the topic. :???:

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Sun, 08 Jun 2008 9:17 pm

Exactly what I said before - more and more weird . . . there are no terrorists, advertising doesn't sell etc etc.

The only whose credibility is below zero.
- Thank God for Darwin -

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 7:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ksl wrote:
Superglide wrote:
banana wrote:
ksl wrote:I have attended quite a few exhibition in Asia over the years, and one thing that sticks out in my mind, which many may not yet have noticed, is that Western Ang Moh sells....

This is unfortunately true. [/size]

Does advertising sell?

Or does it create awareness, does it brand, does it stay in the head?

Don't hype advertising, it's just communications, it's sexy, it's funky at times, but it is not selling.
? :???:

I agree ksl, I think he is completely losing it. Every subsequent post gets further out in left field no matter the topic. :???:

ksl, sms, which part is not clear?

advertising is part of your communications strategy, it is not a sales tool.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 7:09 pm

advertising is part of your communications strategy, it is not a sales tool.

:lol:
. . . . and marketing is not either, I guess. Oh, hang on - aren't advertising and marketing somehow tenuously linked?
- Thank God for Darwin -

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 8:36 pm

superglide isn't entirely off tangent. nobody actually looks at an ad and go "I gotta get me one of those now!". marketers like to think they should though, and often demands so.

it really depends on your definition of 'selling' and that line is a little hazier with classifieds and internet sales.

Sales - "come home with me"

Advertising - "he's fantastic in bed"

Marketing - "I'm fantastic in bed"
some signatures are more equal than others

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 8:54 pm

yeah, I was thinking of the same banana, it all depends on the definition of advertising.

For us marketeers, it is part of above the line communications, but others like ksl may think of simply advertising your car in the paper.

I do like your stereotyping on marketeers! :)

Pablo Picasso

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 9:29 pm

Superglide wrote:yeah, I was thinking of the same banana, it all depends on the definition of advertising. Sure you were! :roll:

For us marketeers :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Banana, you are supporting an unsupportable cause - unless you are bananas, of course! :D
- Thank God for Darwin -

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 9:29 pm

actually ksl's example was in reference to his personal experience at a trade show and I was the one who extended that to advertising. the link being that Westerners are perceived as being more convincing, the 'sell' being the product in his example and the sales message in mine.

I'm fantastic in bed too...I can sleep for days!

edit in response to CB: not supporting anyone or anything, I just understood what superglide was trying to say. :)
some signatures are more equal than others

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:48 pm

Superglide wrote:yeah, I was thinking of the same banana, it all depends on the definition of advertising.

I do like your stereotyping on marketeers! :)
For us marketeers, it is part of above the line communications, but others like ksl may think of simply advertising your car in the paper

I was shaking my head, simply becasue you appear to be The superfluous man,

Superfluous man
The Superfluous Man is a 19th Century Russian literary concept. It relates to an individual, possibly of talent and capability, who does not fit into the state-centered pattern of employment.Often the individual is born into the upper class and is rich and affluent. The consequence is a man who is lazy, ineffectual and bored with life. This can also have to do with 20th century dogs or rodents.
:wink:

Winxkid
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Winxkid » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:02 pm

Catchy, be original. That's what I am looking at for an advertisement :D
petsgdirectory.blogspot.com

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:02 pm

Am I that important to you, that you try to analyze me, ksl?

Wow...

In my opinion we had a misunderstanding about what was to be seen as advertising.

I still like to stick to banana's explanation, makes more sense and plays the ball, instead of the player.

Pablo Picasso

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:18 pm

ksl wrote: This can also have to do with 20th century dogs or rodents.
:wink:

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:28 pm

Superglide wrote:
I still like to stick to banana's explanation

Because you couldn't come up with your own? Great 'marketeer'! :D
- Thank God for Darwin -

Winxkid
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Winxkid » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:32 pm

The world is round, sometimes, so-called "bad" ideas might have good effect too. :D
petsgdirectory.blogspot.com

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:52 pm

Superglide wrote:Am I that important to you, that you try to analyze me, ksl?

Wow...

In my opinion we had a misunderstanding about what was to be seen as advertising.

I still like to stick to banana's explanation, makes more sense and plays the ball, instead of the player.

Not quite! The businessman plays the mix his way, and however you look at it, you will still be the tool or aid, in generating revenue! You should also look on it from my point of view, the sooner you do that, the quicker you can retire :lol: That is the difference between being a marketeer and a businessman. Microsoft was is it?

Everyone needs a marketing strategy, not everybody needs a marketeer, but rightly so, one shouldn't undervalue yourself :lol: but you are still a tool, to be used in business true or false, doesn't really matter to me, only profits matter....

The shaking of head is an acknowledgment of how silly you are, not wrong, but rather childish to stand out for attention all the time, I can only think you have nothing else that you can really contribute, other than your skill of marketing, or attempting to be cool, with failure! :wink: Which for me, and probably Microsft too, would be looked at and evaluated for cost effectiveness, along with advertising, you would also be replaced, like any other tool or aid, that wasn't functioning in accordance with the plan, if i wasn't making profits :lol: :wink:
superglide:I still like to stick to banana's explanation, makes more sense and plays the ball, instead of the player
I hope i didn't hit two players with the bat, it wasn't my intention! I just need to point out, just how much of a tool/aid you are to a bussinessman! and a vital one too:roll: