Singapore Expats Forum

On Advertising

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 23 May 2008 8:32 pm

banana wrote:Gotta admit I'm a fan of Thai advertising as well. They manage to stir up emotional response that is universal (humour, compassion, etc) while retaining their cultural identity.

Possibly in the high-end print media only. I have to live here on a regular basis and can tell you have not sat through any TV time at all. Thai humour bases itself on low-grade slapstick where the following have to be included and derided:

Fat person
Outrageously homosexual male

... and a few others.

Childish is what I would call it.

But yes, some ads in the glossies are quit stunning, especially tourism glossies.
- Thank God for Darwin -

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 May 2008 8:53 pm

CB, I'm glad you quoted banana. Otherwise I could a sworn you were talking about Channel 8 here.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 24 May 2008 12:50 am

Thai humour bases itself on low-grade slapstick where the following have to be included and derided:

This is not uncommon at all, in the UK too, especially stand up comedy in a live audience, people enjoy laughing at other people, it's kind of crude in my eyes, but widely accepted.

It's all supposed to be harmless fun, and it is for the majority, although someone is bound to suffer at the expense of others, especially in the working class environment where most comics, tend to start their careers, in workingmen social clubs, and yes, women are still banned, in this day and age in the UK. although the

Danish woman I took over to UK, wasn't having it, she just walked in and ordered a pint, and nothing was said.

Childish and boorish behaviour is quite common in workingmen's clubs, where comedy first hit the road, they don't change much at all by the time they get a spot on TV, maybe cut out the swearing, but all else goes. Religion, colour, no matter what, is fair game. Harmless fun it's called.

But the UK have always had a sick sense of humour that can stand out, with very little respect, it's called game for a laugh and not at all, to be taken seriously!

My brother-in-law was so upset when he worked in London, because of the word chinky, it's a figure of speech, which may offend, but said in light terms, just like ang mo, is supposed to be derogatory, I don't mind it one bit, just like pom, pommy, white trash, doesn't bother me either, because in the working class area, it's quite common to hear this garbage.

Only working class people can relate to it, I know, because one of my ex Major's from the Military, asked if he could come with me on a night out in the town, he brought his ballerina girlfriend with him, and really it was quite an eye opener for the pair of them.

Can you imagine, these two people up in their mid 40's at the time had never ever been in a workingman's pub, to see how the other half lived, and i can imagine not many tourists, get that opportunity either in many Cities in the UK.

Mind you who would want to now, with the psycho generation on the rampage. Bad parenting is an issue out of hand in the UK.

So the sense of humour is really out of control, with happy slappings and kicking people to death, while filming it on the mobile, and the punishment is less.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Sat, 24 May 2008 11:59 am

I loved the work I did in advertising but hated the mouse wheel of multiple, ongoing and daily deadlines.

When the work is done well it can transcend what its supposed to do and be like art but often its bland, thoughtless and just blatantly not true.

That said it was one of the most fun jobs i ever had but my personal peeve was the sales dept who always assumed that I was a cryptologist and a psychic who could make out their illegible scrawl and read the clients mind without ever having met them; and short 2 sentence briefs which looked like it had been written by someone in the dying seconds before the plane crashed (often seeming to express similar sentiments) and as such I usually ended up calling the client as a matter of course to get an idea of what they wanted.

Typical conversations with sales ran like this...

Me 'What does "high banana hahahaha, dancing beach fun" mean? (keeping in mind that this is an ad brief for an arts festival).

Sales 'Oh that means the client wants you to give it a summer feel as it being held in the local park and has a lot of local acts so families can come down and enjoy a day out.'

Me 'WTF?'

While I took a pay cut after I left I also took a stress cut and stopped having murderous fantasies about killing the sales manager, so it evened out. My next Job was in a completely different area, working with kids and in the long run has been more rewarding.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Sat, 24 May 2008 3:30 pm

It should be quite safe to say that there isn't a single place in this world where there is only good advertising. Well...there's hoping!
some signatures are more equal than others

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Mon, 26 May 2008 3:20 pm

banana wrote:It should be quite safe to say that there isn't a single place in this world where there is only good advertising. Well...there's hoping!

Here's another way to look at it: the crap advertising often subsidises the good advertising!

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Mon, 26 May 2008 4:04 pm

So who decides what is "good advertising"?

The incrowd or the consumer?
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 26 May 2008 7:58 pm

Superglide wrote:So who decides what is "good advertising"?

The incrowd or the consumer?

the budget

Addadude wrote:Here's another way to look at it: the crap advertising often subsidises the good advertising!

wow...and I thought I was optimistic! :lol:

Levikane
Regular
Regular

Postby Levikane » Wed, 28 May 2008 11:04 pm

To Addadude: Your first post on this thread is one of the most insightful pieces I have ever read. I can see why you have been in the industry for so long you have a way with words.

I have a piece of paper that says Marketing (and now work in HR Info systems - go figure) so have an interest in the industry. Its refreshing for someone to come straight out and tell it like it is. Huzzah.

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ukdesigner » Wed, 28 May 2008 11:09 pm

It should be quite safe to say that there isn't a single place in this world where there is only good advertising. Well...there's hoping!

If only those damn pesky clients stopped interfering.... :D

Oh yeah forgot... they pay the bills.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 29 May 2008 2:31 pm

I have attended quite a few exhibition in Asia over the years, and one thing that sticks out in my mind, which many may not yet have noticed, is that Western Ang Moh sells....

Doesn't matter what product it is, if you get an Ang Moh to sell it, the consumer will have more trust in the product and brand, if embraced by westerners too. The psychological factors, is still west is best and safest.

I created quite a fuss, at the food expo, simply because I was the one advertising a Taiwanese product, sales more than trebled for each hour i promoted the product. Neighbour booths was questioning consumers, about what was so attractive, and they all said the ang moh, is a sign the product is safe and excepted by the westerner.

I was quite startled myself to hear this, and I'm not sure it is correct, or not, although I do know I know the product better than anyone, because I have done the research, so my confidence is not shakey at any time, again a major factor in sales material, is the product knowledge, must include the most important facts, of which they do not in the majority of Asian advertising.

I've been a wheeler dealer since i was a kid, more of a survival instinct, than anything else, and certain things in advertising do stick out, here in Asia, has I was also recruited for a bank advertising poster, in another country. So I guess, the ang moh, is kind of a stamp of approval, to reassure, consumers, that it is excepted by them... many at the food fair, mentioned, that mainland Chinese product, and local sellers, didn't convey much honesty, but played on superstition and myths, and a sales patter, that one would expected from a con artist.

Consumers I believe want, facts, as much as possible, so honesty in the advertising message, needs to be backed up, by a sales team, with a solid product knowledge, there is room for touching on the pschological weaknesses of consumers, although there is also a limit, finding the balance is important.

The advertiser must create an eye catching piece, that convey's a sincere message, which can be delivered in many forms, dramatic, humoristic, or entertaining, truth rather than fiction is of greater importance to a brand name, to convey a code of ethics.

Just my thoughts at this moment, after checking out the food expo!

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 3:51 am

ksl wrote:I have attended quite a few exhibition in Asia over the years, and one thing that sticks out in my mind, which many may not yet have noticed, is that Western Ang Moh sells....

This is unfortunately true. The only thing more popular than an Ang Moh is the exotic creature known as the Pan-Asian. It's a look by the way, not ethnic heritage.

Then, there's also the evergreen "cultural mix" visuals. These usually consist of 2-3 white Westerners flanked by a token black person and gratuitous Asian person. This is especially true of tech products/services.

For some reason, images like that are supposed to reassure consumers that hey, this company must be reliable...they're hiring white people AND minorities! Newsflash Mr Client-trying-to-be-Creative-Director, white people ARE the minority here.

/endrant

but please keep paying my bills, thank you

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sun, 08 Jun 2008 3:08 am

banana wrote:
Then, there's also the evergreen "cultural mix" visuals. These usually consist of 2-3 white Westerners flanked by a token black person and gratuitous Asian person. This is especially true of tech products/services.

That sounds like it could also be an ad for Benetton.
One man's meat is another's poison.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Sun, 08 Jun 2008 3:44 am

banana wrote:
ksl wrote:I have attended quite a few exhibition in Asia over the years, and one thing that sticks out in my mind, which many may not yet have noticed, is that Western Ang Moh sells....

This is unfortunately true. [/size]

Does advertising sell?

Or does it create awareness, does it brand, does it stay in the head?

Don't hype advertising, it's just communications, it's sexy, it's funky at times, but it is not selling.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.

Pablo Picasso

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 08 Jun 2008 4:22 am

Superglide wrote:
banana wrote:

This is unfortunately true. [/size]

Does advertising sell?

Or does it create awareness, does it brand, does it stay in the head?

Don't hype advertising, it's just communications, it's sexy, it's funky at times, but it is not selling.
? :???: