Singapore Expats Forum

On Advertising

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 2:55 pm

banana wrote:Kinda like if you can accept advertising is not selling, then you can create ads that actually do ;)
This is the new theme for random advertsing, right? I like it, because you get to do what you like :wink: Great for charities :P :wink:

Tell me, what's your take on advertising in mainland China, I really believe you could get away with it there!

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 3:17 pm

banana wrote:Kinda like if you can accept advertising is not selling, then you can create ads that actually do ;)

Oh Gawd... can we please not go there again? :roll:

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 3:45 pm

ksl wrote:
This is the new theme for random advertsing, right? I like it, because you get to do what you like :wink: Great for charities :P :wink:

Tell me, what's your take on advertising in mainland China, I really believe you could get away with it there!

Actually it's not random at all. It comes down to a very simple premise of trusting the creative to know how to get the message across, just as the advertiser knows his product. There's a big difference between knowing who your target market is and what speaks to them.

I've had a client tell me "don't bother with the fan forum, they're a bunch of idiots". True story.

Sometimes, you need to run ads that do not produce immediate results to prepare your market for ads that do.

As for China, I have friends working in the industry there and apparently it's still very much a cowboy town. So yes, just about anybody can get away with anything there.

That said, there are heaps of brand name agencies there producing award winning ads. Not just your big network JWTs and McCann Ericksons either but successful indie shops like Wieden + Kennedy as well.

The only reason why I'm still here is I hope to push things forward a little while still relatively young and idealistic. That and I can't write Chinese copy :lol:
some signatures are more equal than others

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 3:50 pm

Addadude wrote:

ok, but only because you said please :lol:

and I know you secretly agree

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 4:31 pm

banana wrote:
Addadude wrote:

ok, but only because you said please :lol:

and I know you secretly agree

See? I successfully sold to you! And as you bought, you obvioulsy agree with me

Amd don't try that subliminal small type stuff with me... I was doing paste up when you were barely more than a glint in your dad's eye... :twisted:

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 7:40 pm

wow, we HAVE come a long way in advertising. didn't realise indentured child labour was the norm back then! :lol:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:17 am

banana wrote:wow, we HAVE come a long way in advertising. didn't realise indentured child labour was the norm back then! :lol:

The only reason why I'm still here is I hope to push things forward a little while still relatively young and idealistic. That and I can't write Chinese copy
If you cannot write Chinese, then I really do suggest you dive in at the deep end, while your still young enough, go to the Beijing Language institute, it very cheap in comparison to any other place, you will progress in leaps and bounds and probably at the same time, do freelance work.

You really do need the Chinese, I went there in 1991 and struggled with guys, that had been studying for 3 years before arriving, but I learned a great deal, and I can use the dictionary too, the fundamentals and stroke order was quite easy.

The time is while your young and when in the deep end, there is no English communication at all, so you work harder.
http://www.blcu.edu.cn/blcuweb/english/index-en.asp

I can tell you, you will never regret the experience, and the birds :wink: don't fall in love, and don't give your money away, like so many Singaporeans these days!

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

The Copy Book

Postby Addadude » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:03 am

I just borrowed a very battered paperback copy of this book from the national Library. I used to have my own hardback copy (as well as the Art Direction Book and the Commercials Book) but it was nicked...

The premise of the book is to ask 32 of the world's leading copywriters to describe how they go about writing copy and coming up with ideas.

It's well worth a read if you are even remotely interested in advertising and thoroughly inspiring for any copywriters out there. In fact, it should be required reading for all advertising creatives. (And clients would learn a lot from it too.)

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:35 pm

Well written copy addadude but you failed to mention the product. :lol:

The Copy Book aka The Copywriter's Bible is an excellent resource indeed ;)

and ksl, thanks for the well meaning advice. If I ever decide to second guess my life decisions, I'll be sure to look you up. :roll:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 26 Jun 2008 2:04 pm

banana wrote:Well written copy addadude but you failed to mention the product. :lol:

The Copy Book aka The Copywriter's Bible is an excellent resource indeed ;)

and ksl, thanks for the well meaning advice. If I ever decide to second guess my life decisions, I'll be sure to look you up. :roll:

Here is the latest talked about advert! Click the video

http://cm.my.yahoo.com/?rd=nux

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Thu, 26 Jun 2008 2:29 pm

Yup, that's the Ball Girl viral for Gatorade. Directed by Baker Smith of Harvest Films for Element 79, a boutique agency in the States. Funny thing is, an almost identical spot was done a while back for Powerade. Same concept, same director, same product category. Makes you wonder hey, the product is virtually absent from the clip altogether. :wink:

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Thu, 26 Jun 2008 6:33 pm

There were some amazing clips floating around on YouTube showing a guy who could catch sunglasses with his face from any angle and 4 guys showing different ways of leaping into a pair of jeans - both legs at the same time.

They each aroused a lot of curiosity and a load of hits until it was revealed that they were done by the same production company - the jeans video was done for Levis and the sunglass video was done for Rayban or someone like that. (Which shows you how effective the video was as an ad...)

Then there was the spoiled rich girl video supposedly uploaded n YouTube by here younger brother. (She freaks out because her parents give her a RED sports car for her birthday when they should have known that her favorite colour is BLUE.) She responded by releasing her own video where she explains that BLUE has always been her colour and her parents should have known that... Eventually it was revealed that these videos were a teaser campaign for a pizza delivery company. (Don't ask me what the connection was...)

So these days, every creative director (including my own) wants his team to come up with amazing ideas for YouTube and Facebook... Quite how the agencies will get the clients to pay for these things hasn't really being worked out...

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:39 am

Addadude wrote:There were some amazing clips floating around on YouTube showing a guy who could catch sunglasses with his face from any angle and 4 guys showing different ways of leaping into a pair of jeans - both legs at the same time.

They each aroused a lot of curiosity and a load of hits until it was revealed that they were done by the same production company - the jeans video was done for Levis and the sunglass video was done for Rayban or someone like that. (Which shows you how effective the video was as an ad...)

Then there was the spoiled rich girl video supposedly uploaded n YouTube by here younger brother. (She freaks out because her parents give her a RED sports car for her birthday when they should have known that her favorite colour is BLUE.) She responded by releasing her own video where she explains that BLUE has always been her colour and her parents should have known that... Eventually it was revealed that these videos were a teaser campaign for a pizza delivery company. (Don't ask me what the connection was...)

So these days, every creative director (including my own) wants his team to come up with amazing ideas for YouTube and Facebook... Quite how the agencies will get the clients to pay for these things hasn't really being worked out...

These clips are made to communicate with a generation very much different from most key decision makers, both at agencies and clientside. They think different, have different values and don't like being spoken down to. The sooner old fogeys realise that and stop trying to sell shit to them, the sooner they'll get it.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:29 pm

banana wrote:These clips are made to communicate with a generation very much different from most key decision makers, both at agencies and clientside. They think different, have different values and don't like being spoken down to. The sooner old fogeys realise that and stop trying to sell shit to them, the sooner they'll get it.

To be honest there is nothing new in this statement. This has always been the case.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:40 pm

Addadude wrote:
banana wrote:These clips are made to communicate with a generation very much different from most key decision makers, both at agencies and clientside. They think different, have different values and don't like being spoken down to. The sooner old fogeys realise that and stop trying to sell shit to them, the sooner they'll get it.

To be honest there is nothing new in this statement. This has always been the case.

And yet so many keep going through the same motions again and again. Go figure.