Singapore Expats Forum

Motorcycling in singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

gowrip

Motorcycling in singapore?

Postby gowrip » Tue, 20 May 2008 12:50 pm

Very basic questions, somehow I am finding it hard to get answers...

I only want the minimal license (the <200CC one) and don't really need a course (if the provisional license let's me just appear to the test, bringing the bike magically to the testing center). i don't have a drivers license to convert from. to begin with and want to upgrade it to the next level as soon as possible.

1. How soon a daytime student can get a MC drivers license? I have plenty of driving experience - the crazy roads of India driving on one side of road where we develop, test & maintain our survival skills (wait... actually, we indians just drive in any side of the road, towards any direction, in any manner, carrying almost any load & any number of peoples - yeah, i know, i have got a good score in IELTS - as long as we don't come across as deliberately trying to kill someone - especially the traffic cops - but trying to kill himself/herself and the poor passenger sitting in the back seat is completely allowed and i have managed to do it twice - just trying to kill myself) and the "too fast for my own good" american roads that drive in the other side and where i had to be a very good boy (where I was pulled over once as i was rushing for a morning meeting a cop said a plane clocked me doing 80 and speed limit was 60; and everyone else was doing only 70).

2. Let's say the course is mandatory (i looked at two different websites - they only talk about the number of theory and practical sessions but i am not too sure how the schedule works), how quickly/frequently can i schedule the sessions? are these all evening classes or do i have to rely on only weekends?

3. is it easy to get around in a motorcycle? or the roads too crowded?

4. i know cars are expensive to own and maintain - does a regular motorcycle transport prohibitively expensive compared to the public transport?

5. and has anyone seen this little cute girl called "ninja 250" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_250R) anywhere in singapore streets? somehow i don't locate a single one of those girls browsing through the used bike forums.

thanks.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Tue, 20 May 2008 2:45 pm

While on the subject of motor cycling, I am amazed at the number of riders here that don’t do LIFE SAVERS (quick turn of the head just before you make a maneuver).

When I did my lesson in the UK, the only thing our teacher asked us to remember is the lifesavers. He did not care if we broke all the rules, do wheelies, donuts etc. but NEVER forget lifesavers.

He proved his point by asking a student to get on his bike and adjust his mirrors, while the guy was adjusting, another teacher using the blind spot walked up to the side and back of bike. The main teacher asked if the rider is satisfied the mirrors are set, just as he said yes the other teacher kicked him off the bike.

That kick is nothing compared to the impact of a car and was a lesson that stuck in everyone’s mind.

Lifesavers is all you have, you never get a second chance on a bike.

bgd
Editor
Editor

Postby bgd » Tue, 20 May 2008 4:15 pm

3. is it easy to get around in a motorcycle? or the roads too crowded?

The only way to travel as far as i'm concerned. Very easy, very quick and a lot of fun. But do get used to the local driving habits. And expect to get (very) wet at times.

4. i know cars are expensive to own and maintain - does a regular motorcycle transport prohibitively expensive compared to the public transport?

Bikes are cheap to run, mine compares favourably with public transport (if I exclude depreciation) but it is so much more fun. There's a lot to be said for independence.

zjules
Regular
Regular

Postby zjules » Tue, 20 May 2008 4:22 pm

Hey there.. Yes, the course is mandatory. You can only book 1 lesson at a time. At the end of each lesson they will tell you if you have passed that lesson and can move on. Then you can book the next. Also need to attend theory classes (2) and do theory exam. Its easy, but still have to attend the lessons, and the exam you need to book a month or 2 in advance. They are pretty strict and you have to demonstrate all the skills EXACTLY as they want before you can move on... good luck

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Tue, 20 May 2008 4:30 pm

do you know if i converted my foreign license to a singapore 2B (is that the most basic endorsement?) license, must i wait for a year before i can book lessons for 2A or can this be done straightaway?

zuluchief

Postby zuluchief » Tue, 20 May 2008 4:35 pm

Couldn't agree more. I had great fun learning to ride a motorbike here and it is by far the cheapest and most convenient form of transport here in Singapore. The instructors here are good guys and they know how to have a laugh.....but they do teach the 'Life Saver' and its an important part of the practical test. If you can take lessons at any time of the day or evening then you can pass the practical test in a very short period of time.

gowrip

Postby gowrip » Wed, 21 May 2008 3:25 pm

Thanks guys - for a rider whose just ready to camp in the training center if necessary, can I assume i can get a license within 2 months?

zjules
Regular
Regular

Postby zjules » Wed, 21 May 2008 3:38 pm

I would think that is a bit tight. You will need to wait that long for theory test, and then a while again for the practical test...

gowrip

Postby gowrip » Thu, 22 May 2008 9:32 pm

thanks for the responses all you guys!