Mexican food in Singapore

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Post Reply
sammieluv
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon, 11 May 2009 10:41 am

Post by sammieluv » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 2:36 pm

my contributions:

- olive tree at clarke quay
- el toro restro bar along penang road (above the dubliner irish pub)

not sure if it's specifically mexican food but they serve great spanish food. is it the same?? :? but yup, yummy nonetheless! :D

User avatar
vbelle
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 4:45 pm
Location: singapore

Post by vbelle » Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:04 pm

sammieluv wrote:my contributions:

- olive tree at clarke quay
- el toro restro bar along penang road (above the dubliner irish pub)

not sure if it's specifically mexican food but they serve great spanish food. is it the same?? :? but yup, yummy nonetheless! :D
its not the same..lol

btw, dont go to Cafe Iguana..the food..doesnt taste good..at all (at least the one that i tried)

AngMoKio
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 5:06 pm

Post by AngMoKio » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:46 am

Yeah, Spanish != Mexican.

And I'll second the opinion on Cafe Iguana. Their food is broken and closer to Indian spiced then Mexican.

petros2310
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 1:37 pm

3 monkeys

Post by petros2310 » Tue, 11 Aug 2009 1:07 pm

just tried this restaurant called 3 monkeys at holland village yesterday.

their quesadillas are good but alittle pricey...heard they have delivery too.

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Post by poodlek » Sun, 13 Jun 2010 2:26 pm

Any recent updates on this topic? I'm dying for a taco...or carnitas...pico de gallo...you know, the authentic stuff. I ordered nachos in a bar the other day and they were served in the same style as I'd expect from a hockey arena in Northern Ontario. Very disappointing.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39562
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Jun 2010 2:58 pm

But then again Northern Ontario isn't exactly on the Tex-Mex border either. :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

missis
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:37 pm
Location: Holland Road/6th Ave

Post by missis » Sun, 13 Jun 2010 4:40 pm

Just a word on Margarita's at Dempsey - extensive menu and food good but pricey. Would also say don't bother with the pitchers of Margarita. We went there after a couple of drinks and got stuck in but they were too sweet (think lime juice drink with maybe a drop of tequila) and I actually left there a couple of hours later more sober than when I arrived!

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Post by poodlek » Mon, 14 Jun 2010 6:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:But then again Northern Ontario isn't exactly on the Tex-Mex border either. :P
Exactly my point...tortilla chips in a molded plastic dish with a bit of "cheese" sauce on the side. Maybe I should have ordered the poutine :-P

I think I'll have better luck finding a package of imported corn tortillas and making tacos myself. Anybody seen some good artisan chorizo (or pork sausage similar to the Mexican style)?

madura
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 1:30 am

Post by madura » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 10:27 am

How about "The Mexican Taco Bar" at Plaza by the Park?

rodders252
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 4:26 pm

Post by rodders252 » Wed, 07 Jul 2010 11:50 am

I know some people haven't rated Cafe Iguana in Clarke Quay highly. However, i've always had good food there - it's nothing fancy but you know what you're going to get if you fancy a good, decent Mexican washed down by an IPA or margarita! And the atmosphere is always pretty good.

Currant
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 3:36 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Currant » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 3:50 pm

I wouldn't know what truly authentic mexican food tastes like but I recently went to Casa Latina in Waterloo Street (Bras Basah MRT). It didn't taste like your regular Tex Mex stuff, which to me was a good sign. My American companion said it was pretty darned good.

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Post by poodlek » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 9:44 pm

Currant wrote:I wouldn't know what truly authentic mexican food tastes like but I recently went to Casa Latina in Waterloo Street (Bras Basah MRT). It didn't taste like your regular Tex Mex stuff, which to me was a good sign. My American companion said it was pretty darned good.
I googled Casa Latina as I'd never heard of it and I came upon this blog:

http://eatbma.blogspot.com/2010/07/sing ... atina.html

From the photo and description, I'd have to say HECK YES this is what I've been talking about. They don't seem to have a website to peruse...what's the price range? I think regardless of what you say I'm going to check this one out :-)

User avatar
Vicbowling
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 7:57 am

Post by Vicbowling » Wed, 28 Jul 2010 4:34 am

gloton wrote:Hey, I tried Kiko Rico... the roasted chicken is really good and super value for money.
Great that they do delivery too!
Really? I've got a business contact for email fax that drags me to Kiko Rico whenever I go out to meet with him and while the chicken is great the rest of the menu really takes a back seat!

Actually, their caipirinhas are really very good, I might be underselling my experience due to how good the drinks are.. ;)

I hate it when people say "authentic Mexican" because if you've ever been to Mexico, it's completely different from what you get at most "authentic" restaurants!? :)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Currant
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 3:36 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Currant » Wed, 28 Jul 2010 9:55 am

poodlek wrote:
Currant wrote:I wouldn't know what truly authentic mexican food tastes like but I recently went to Casa Latina in Waterloo Street (Bras Basah MRT). It didn't taste like your regular Tex Mex stuff, which to me was a good sign. My American companion said it was pretty darned good.
I googled Casa Latina as I'd never heard of it and I came upon this blog:

http://eatbma.blogspot.com/2010/07/sing ... atina.html

From the photo and description, I'd have to say HECK YES this is what I've been talking about. They don't seem to have a website to peruse...what's the price range? I think regardless of what you say I'm going to check this one out :-)
When I dined there, a meal for two came up to $70 plus, with no alcohol. The mocktails were ridiculously pricey for what they were though. The desserts were good - a lime pie and a flan.

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Post by poodlek » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 4:03 pm

Vicbowling wrote:
I hate it when people say "authentic Mexican" because if you've ever been to Mexico, it's completely different from what you get at most "authentic" restaurants!? :)
I'm not sure if you're referring to Singapore "authentic" or everywhere, but I've never set foot in Mexico nor even any state that borders on Mexico, yet I still feel I know my Mexican food. Casa Latina is the real deal. Their carnitas were absolutely perfect, if pricey, but the portion was big enough to easily satisfy two people if they ordered an appetizer also. My husband had the chiles rellenos, which was authentic enough and he was happy with it but I've never been a big fan of that dish. Next time, as a true test of their autenticidad, I'll have the mole.

Also, I've been to Senor Taco a couple times now. Their tacos al pastor are terrific, and the price isn't outrageous either. The beef tacos and quesadillas were just meh. Sadly, they offer only the three on the menu, but what the do well, they do really really well. Also, their home made tortillas are available for purchase to use at home.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Entertainment, Leisure & Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests