Singapore Expats Forum

PR getting LTSVP for Common Law Spouse ... HELP!!!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.

Shouldn't SPR's also be able to sponsor thier foriegn Common Law Spouses for an LTSVP??? (EP holders can)

YES
46%
NO
54%

Total votes: 13

sing_sling77

PR getting LTSVP for Common Law Spouse ... HELP!!!

Postby sing_sling77 » Thu, 15 May 2008 5:12 pm

Hi,

This has been asked a few times. However I think my situ provides a new, and slightly convoluted twist to the story. Perhaps even exposes a DOUBLE STANDARD in Singaporean policies .... I really hope someone has a simple answer.

To the issue. I am a UK citizen, 5 years in SG and a Permanent Resident. Just over 15 months ago, I met someone and fell in love and we have been very close ever since. She is you may have guessed, not from Singapore. She is also not eligible/likely (or want to) work/obtain employment here. For a while now, we have been too and fro on the 30 day thing ... you know the story. She is basically living with me for over 9 months, but in and out of SG renew every 30 days ...

The long and short of it is that if I was a 'normal' employment pass holder, the MoM would cheerfully process an LTSVP for her. They have told me so. They have also told me, as I am a PR - I will need to get the ICA to do it.

Now, the ICA have the same application form (14). one BIG difference. The ICA form requires that we produce a MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE. javascript:emoticon(':???:')
Confused However, the MoM form lets you tick a check box 'Common Law Spouse'.

WHY can't I sponsor my common law spouse as an SPR???? This is blatantly a double standard, and this could be very painful for both of us .... if anyone has more knowledge/experience of this, we would be very grateful.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 15 May 2008 5:19 pm

just get down on your knees and marry the darn girl!

Turtle
Regular
Regular

Postby Turtle » Thu, 15 May 2008 5:23 pm

Did you talk to the ICA and raise your issue with them, and tell them what MoM said? It may be as simple as whoever wrote the form didn't think of that possibility (wouldn't be the first time) and that they'll allow it without a marriage certificate if you explain it. But if they don't, yeah, that's kind of baffling really. Make sure you talk to someone senior, not one of the regular "don't care" staffers who just say "not on my list means cannot".
Last edited by Turtle on Thu, 15 May 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sing_sling77

Postby sing_sling77 » Thu, 15 May 2008 5:24 pm

no doubt that will come in time ... but, getting married for the sake of appeasing the law?? No way ... we gotta fight for our rights :)

sing_sling77

Postby sing_sling77 » Thu, 15 May 2008 5:29 pm

good point .. I will have to try and get through to someone senior like you say tho. Going to ask High Comm if they assist with that. Just looking here for anyone that's been in my shoes - surely I'm not the first (with PR) that's done it!

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby skye » Thu, 15 May 2008 5:44 pm

I'm not sure you're being treated differently because you're a PR. As I understand it, for LTSVP for a common law spouse, an EP holder has to show they were living together BEFORE the move to Singapore eg joint property, bank accounts, bills etc from their time overseas. That doesn't help you though - I agree it's hard to feel pushed into a formal marriage if neither of you want to make that commitment yet.

sing_sling77

Postby sing_sling77 » Fri, 16 May 2008 10:29 am

I have already found my answer, this coming from someone senior. Seems things might not be so bad after all - I need to get one of the following.

the documents that could be used as proof of relationship would include:

(i) a common law marriage certificate issued by the state; or
(ii) a notarised affidavit; or
(iii) a note from the foreign embassy indicating that a couple is legally married under the laws of that state.

Better get down to the embassy pronto!

Turtle
Regular
Regular

Postby Turtle » Fri, 16 May 2008 10:36 am

Congrats! Most likely it was just that whoever designed/approved the form was not aware that common-law marriages existed. They're not very common over here, especially if it was a few years back, unmarried couples wouldn't be expected to live together.

sing_sling77

Postby sing_sling77 » Fri, 16 May 2008 10:40 am

Will update this thread when it's actually done ... who on earth voted NO to the poll!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 May 2008 12:02 pm

I hope you won't be too disappointed if it all comes to naught. From what you have indicated, you will still need to get an affidavit to affirm that the relationship existed 'PRIOR' to your arrive in Singapore. The officer you spoke to may have misunderstood your predicament. If you will go back to the post where you listed the options, in all cases it is assuming that the relationship existed before you got here. Not something entered into after you received your PR.

I hope it all works out for you but I have my doubts.

sing_sling77

Postby sing_sling77 » Fri, 16 May 2008 12:24 pm

wow ... 3 people actually think that PR's shouldn't have the right to get an LTSVP for common-law spouse/fiancee/long-term girlfriend. Or did I word the poll wrongly?

I'd love to hear from those people that voted why they think that!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 May 2008 2:38 pm

you probably already have.

sing_sling77

update 08/08/08

Postby sing_sling77 » Fri, 08 Aug 2008 3:51 pm

Just wanted to update for anybody's future reference. It can be done, you can PM me if you ever need some help (please, only if you are in the same situation i.e. you have PR - not EP - and really serious about having your foriegn met spouse staying long term in Singapore).

I obtained a 12 month LTSVP under my sponsorship for my Thai girlfriend which I met long after coming to Singapore and becoming PR). No such evidence was needed to show we had been in a relationship prior to that.

It was rejected the first time, I wrote an appeal letter and cc'd a few relevant senior people in the SVP dept. (SG Gov names and emails are public info, you can find them with a google search) as well as the officer that rejected it. 4 weeks later, I got a response via post. They asked for a letter from my embassy stating the legality of our 'marriage' (i.e. common law spouse). I then responded, by post, explaining the whole MoM process, how the UK High Comm don't issue such a thing, printed emails from UK Hi-comm to back it up, etc etc.

Also like to say PAH! to all you doubting Thomas that posted here!!!

DanShaku

Postby DanShaku » Mon, 01 Sep 2008 10:14 am

Hi Sing_Sling77,

We are VERY interested to know how you did it. We are same situation & been trying for 2 years now but always get rejection letter, even after 2 appeals by local MP.

I have PM'd you, so look forward to your contact.

synapse2synapse

Postby synapse2synapse » Sat, 04 Oct 2008 6:42 pm

Similar situation -

My sig. other and I have been living together for nearly 3 years... we have a joint bank account, paperwork from old rental agreements in both our names, etc. He's here on an EP but I'm still unemployed in Singapore, so we obtained a letter from the Canadian Consulate attesting to our common-law relationship, got the notarized oath, and submitted an application for a LTSVP for moi.

We've been here about 6 months now, and he's considering applying for PR.... while going through the forms there's a section for your 'spouse' (as per a marriage certificate) to get PR for them too. Well, it doesn't matter to me whether I'm PR or on LTSV (if I find a job I'll get an EP of my own), but then he finds a page saying that if/when his PR status gets approved my LTSV would be immediately canceled!

What are we supposed to do? Apply for PR for me too and submit the docs from the Canadian Consulate in lieu of a marriage certificate and cross our fingers?