Singapore Expats Forum

Leaving Debt in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

skint aussie

Leaving Debt in Singapore

Postby skint aussie » Thu, 15 May 2008 2:31 pm

I have an outstanding car loan in Singapore. When I sell the car or return it to the finance company I will have about S$20,000 outstanding which I cannot pay. If I leave Singapore with this debt outstanding what will happen to me when I come back to the country( I will have to visit here for work) Will I be arrested at immigration? or is it like the UK and Oz where it is a civil matter only.

Thanks in advance for your help
SA

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 15 May 2008 2:36 pm

Like in the US, your intentional failure to pay would be a criminal act. It is called theft. Indeed, your intention to willfully leave the country without notification to the lender would provide ample evidence of theft.

I'm just glad I never had dealings with you. Where is your integrity? I don't know if immigration would catch you (I suspect they would) but I would damn sure hope they do.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Leaving Debt in Singapore

Postby ksl » Thu, 15 May 2008 3:11 pm

skint aussie wrote:I have an outstanding car loan in Singapore. When I sell the car or return it to the finance company I will have about S$20,000 outstanding which I cannot pay. If I leave Singapore with this debt outstanding what will happen to me when I come back to the country( I will have to visit here for work) Will I be arrested at immigration? or is it like the UK and Oz where it is a civil matter only.

SA

Can't get much lower than you, I'm afraid! Why the heck don't you come to some arrangement, with the company! or are you the new breed on the planet, god help us all! It is actually theft, and i wouldn't be surprised if you wasn't caught and caned.

I also new someone else like you in a another country, he deliberately planned his scheming ways, to live his life of dandy, only to end up on the run too....and they did get him even after the so called 5 years, away! He's making up for lost time with 5 years inside. You get what you deserve, if no effort is made to pay the loan off.
Last edited by ksl on Sun, 18 May 2008 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Thu, 15 May 2008 3:23 pm

You have two choices:

1. Pay your debt or come to some sort of agreement with the company.
2. G-A-I-L/ J-A-I-L

I agree with the other 2 gentlemen. I hope our paths never cross.

trinity511

Postby trinity511 » Thu, 15 May 2008 4:52 pm

Sooner or later you will pay, so best to make some sort of arrangement before you leave or you may find that you return here for work one day and have an extend leave of absence from work due to the fact that once a offense has been lodged against you it all goes on computor which is available to Immigration/Customs. Do the right thing and things will come good. Have you tried asking your company for assistance???

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 15 May 2008 5:41 pm

if you cant do the time, dont do the crime!

i cant believe you got the nerve to put a posting here asking for a way out!!! now, go get a bus!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 May 2008 11:47 pm

I wonder what the odds are your email addy is a variation of your proper name? :x :cool:

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Sat, 17 May 2008 1:11 am

Apologies for all the cynics. They've obviosly never been in your situation and the amount of understnding or lack of it is quite astounding

Talk to the credit comapny and reach an arrangement. Chances are you won;t experience any issues as despite the hype the customs are only really focussed on tax evasion and hard on people seemigly cheating the goverment. ( Who gave them the right to charge taxes in the first place is questionable)

Calm down and good luck

Please refrain from name calling we have had at least one battle on this forum, we really don't need another.:(

Moderator.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Leaving Debt in Singapore

Postby maneo » Sat, 17 May 2008 5:19 am

skint aussie wrote:I have an outstanding car loan in Singapore. When I sell the car or return it to the finance company I will have about S$20,000 outstanding which I cannot pay. If I leave Singapore with this debt outstanding what will happen to me when I come back to the country( I will have to visit here for work) Will I be arrested at immigration? or is it like the UK and Oz where it is a civil matter only.

SA

Bad karma.

Since government agencies here do seem to communicate to each other, Immigration might notify other appropriate authorities upon your return, if the finance company happened to have filed a criminal complaint.
Do you really want to take that chance?

A decent person would make an arrangement with the finance company to continue payments even after leaving.
You did say you were still working now, didn't you?