Singapore Expats Forum

What do expats actually like about singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Tue, 27 May 2008 12:29 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:CB, why bring me into this thread? I've only made one tiny post in the whole thread.

Because it can't hurt and wasn't meant to be negative at all, more like banter. :D
- Thank God for Darwin -

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 27 May 2008 3:48 pm

cutiebutie wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:CB, why bring me into this thread? I've only made one tiny post in the whole thread.

Because it can't hurt and wasn't meant to be negative at all, more like banter. :D
Yes SMS, I agree with CB, you being here for 25 years, must say something for the Country, people that, don't like it, don't stay here, that simple..the pro's and cons, abound, but like you say, difficult to compare with anything else.

Even though the weather bugs, me a little, I can manage 9 months of the year, Singapore is a great place to live, providing you can earn enough $! Best of all, I like the mix of people, i find it very rewarding in many aspects of growth, and development, we can learn much from other cultures, and should do.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Tue, 27 May 2008 7:20 pm

ksl wrote:Singapore is a great place to live, providing you can earn enough $! Best of all, I like the mix of people, i find it very rewarding in many aspects of growth, and development, we can learn much from other cultures, and should do.

Any country would qualify, isn't it?

Nothing uniquely Singapore in what you mention.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Tue, 27 May 2008 7:39 pm

Superglide wrote:
ksl wrote:Singapore is a great place to live, providing you can earn enough $! Best of all, I like the mix of people, i find it very rewarding in many aspects of growth, and development, we can learn much from other cultures, and should do.

No, not any country would. I could think of many that wouldn't. the Netherlands for one; lousy weather, miserable food, ugly countryside, red tape bureaucracy to frustrate anyone - and the population to match.
- Thank God for Darwin -

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 28 May 2008 12:59 am

Superglide wrote:

Nothing uniquely Singapore in what you mention
Actually Singapore is very unique and more British than you would believe, although it doesn't have all the psycho headbangers, you have in UK.

So I would say, that is a very significant difference, and although you have mixed race in London, and Manchester and Birmingham, There is a distinct race hate, like it or not, many british are racist, they like the upper hand, believe that they are better than most, and they are not, they are just hooligans in gangs, be it school or out of school.

Headbangers, peddling dope to make a living, the nation is in a sorry state, just like it was before Australia was discovered. But now there is no Island, that want's all the degenerates. It's a sad state of affairs, to think you have to tool up, for your own safety, and if you don't who else is going to give a shit. The police force don't give two hoots, and the laws are a joke, even for murder! Kill someone, you can be out after 3 years in a fight! Kill someone for fun, and you can be out after 8 to 10, if you get caught.

I think there is quite a significant difference, I' can honestly say, that if i am attacked by a group of 3 or more, I will be going for the kill. Yes, it is in my blood, survival is the most import part of staying alive, and to have headbangers on the streets, only make your survival chances, limited.

In fact two days ago in Yorkshire, my chinese friend, who is female, stopped at traffic lights, when her car was attacked, they opened the doors, and robbed her of her handbag, and all they could get within a minute. I do you think it left her feeling after that!

I guess it's all about law and order! Although the UK is a holiday camp, with a bunch of political academic pussies writing up SOP's.

Superglide, i would have thought your vision was a little more advanced, than what it is, I'm really surprised you cannot see a uniqueness of Singapore, it maybe rigid, and have a no tolerance, and I'm all for it. I've seen far too many negative pot smokers in my life, and yes i have tried it, but i have never once in my life felt a need to purchase it. I've seen many ruined by hash, quite sickening, when they have become nervous wrecks and a burden to society, but alcohol is the same too. Personally I wouldn't want my daughter growing up, in the kind of environment the UK is offering. Although that's my opinion!

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby maneo » Wed, 28 May 2008 1:17 am

Superglide wrote:

No.
Not any country is as cosmopolitan as Singapore.
Makes it seem more civilised.

Furthermore, Western countries are nowhere near as dynamic.
It's not the fastest economy in Asia, but it's a comfortable place to live.

Some may think the weather too hot.
Others (myself included), no.

This is where I know I'm home.
我的家。

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Wed, 28 May 2008 1:53 am

Interesting,

What exactly makes Singapore cosmopolitan? What exactly makes Singapore more dynamic? Please elaborate.

Pablo Picasso

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Wed, 28 May 2008 2:04 am

ksl wrote:Superglide, i would have thought your vision was a little more advanced, than what it is, I'm really surprised you cannot see a uniqueness of Singapore, it maybe rigid, and have a no tolerance, and I'm all for it. I've seen far too many negative pot smokers in my life, and yes i have tried it, but i have never once in my life felt a need to purchase it. I've seen many ruined by hash, quite sickening, when they have become nervous wrecks and a burden to society, but alcohol is the same too. Personally I wouldn't want my daughter growing up, in the kind of environment the UK is offering. Although that's my opinion!

Fair enough ksl, but:

As you can read from my reaction, I was only saying that there's nothing unique in your motivation given: "earn enough $! Best of all, I like the mix of people, i find it very rewarding in many aspects of growth, and development, we can learn much from other cultures.

Nothing specifically "Singaporean" in that.

As for the rest you mention, well, that's your observation. I would rather have my kids grow up in a liberal and democratic society with all that comes with it, the challenges, the problems, the hardship AND the freedom.

To each his or her own, we all have different strokes.

Pablo Picasso

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Wed, 28 May 2008 6:41 am

Superglide wrote:Interesting, What exactly makes Singapore cosmopolitan? What exactly makes Singapore more dynamic? Please elaborate.

while waiting for that elaboration, I wondered about that comment myself

according to the definition:

cosmopolitan Adjective
1. composed of people or elements from many different countries or cultures
2. having lived and travelled in many countries
3. sophisticated and cultured
Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006

well, 1 out of 3 perhaps

then this:
cosmopolitan Adjective
sophisticated, worldly, cultured, refined, cultivated, urbane, well-travelled, worldly-wise
Collins Essential Thesaurus 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2005, 2006

Cosmopolitan? er, no, not by these definintions, but you can go to NY or London or Paris for that.

But clean, green, pretty, efficent, growing, new, relatively safe - sure. And in relation to the OP, I like these aspects about the place. Actually.

Superglide wrote:To each his or her own, we all have different strokes.

in Sinagpore that's still refered to as 'caning'

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cosmopolitan
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

hk203
Regular
Regular

Re: What do expats actually like about singapore?

Postby hk203 » Wed, 28 May 2008 4:42 pm

[quote="Turtle"][quote="Plavt"]
NativeTexan wrote:

From what I've seen, it's the opposite here compared to the US: in Singapore, and not just at the airport, expats and tourists tend to be treated a lot more respectfully, courteously and in a much friendlier manner than locals. Even at fast food restaurants, Caucasians tend to get addressed as Sir or Ma'am, Asians tend to get the usual grunting that you expect from a fast food place.

Totally agree with you on the above. We are being discriminated in our own country...haven't got a clue why....how sad... Sad
Last edited by hk203 on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

hk203
Regular
Regular

Re: What do expats actually like about singapore?

Postby hk203 » Wed, 28 May 2008 4:57 pm

road.not.taken wrote:
QRM wrote:To ensures employers give huge financial compensation for the hardship posting. All the expats have to pass the compulsory moaning and wingeing test before being allowed to call themselves a true expat.

So to go against the grain why not have a thread on what expats like about Singapore

Sorry, have to disagree.

Here are Five to get things started.

1. Immigration at Changi:

The first impression of a country really counts, they are smiley, helpful, courteous, and even give you sweets. In total contrast to immigration staff in the United States, who must have received their training from Abu Ghraib school of hospitality.

I have never found the Immigration officers at Changi to be warm or smiley. The actual people stamping passport or more like automotons than people. No human interaction at all. Great airport, but the Immigration staff are stiffs, who never say 'you're welcome' despite my offer of thanks. I always get a big 'Welcome Home' whenever I arrive in the US.

They are being instructed not to be nice at the checkpoint mate. The immigration officer must have the scary face to scare off illegal immigrant or terrorist. lolol

2. Beaches:

Ten minute drive from the city and you have deserted beaches, OK they are all fake, the water is the consistency of sewage, you look over hundreds of rusty freighters and an oil refinery, but they are still white sand beaches and great for a stroll.

The beaches are the biggest disappointment about living here, on this tropical island. Total, worthless crap in the vein of a poor, imitation of Disneyworld. Imported sand, landscaped trees, plaster boulders.

Of course mate. Singapore is 1/3 the size of London.

3. Baby friendly:

Not many places in the world welcome kids in upmarket restaurants, people stop you in the street to say how cute your child is.

It is a bit confusing as most Singaporeans I spoken to are happy to fob off the kids on the maid or grand parents. If I asked my parents to look after the kids full time, I know the reply would be along the lines of making my own bed and sleeping in it.

Being inept at a lot of social graces (knowing when to answer a cell phone, knowing what to wear to the theatre) it's no wonder Singaporeans (and expats too!) bring babies where they just don't belong. Last thing I want to do when dining out with adults is have to work our conversation around a crying baby and an active toddler.

The poor baby got no one to take care of...no choice they gotta bring them out man...If you feels irritated by the crying baby at restaurant...you must be a very tough guy to please.. US is better than here? Hmm...to be honest, I have got a job offer in the US but I turned them down flat...reason: not a good place to live. i don't mind if UK or Aus but US..a definite NO NO....

4. Clean, reliable, and easy commute to work:

Colleague at work would regularly spend 4-5 hours a day commuting in London. When people here, say the public transport is over crowded, they should try a Victorian era transport system with no air-conditioning. One hour below ground in central London will have your nose full of black soot.

Newer? yes. Cleaner? yes. The MRT is fine. But the amount of cars on the road now, compared to ten years ago is a travesty. They ruined a good thing.

Hmmm...it seems like US has not support the Kyoto protocol?? not sure about that...

5. Great Public toilets:

Where else in the world would you walk into a public toilet and say Hmmm this smells nice, seriously, happened a few times, and you have uncle or auntie Pi Pi on hand to help with the drips.

Well, I guess they're alright, but not for the same reasons :o

My Top 5

1. It's safe

2. The school is good

3. I have friends here

4. The airport is close by and easy to use

5. My husband can always find work here

Beaches? You gotta be kiddin' me!

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby maneo » Thu, 29 May 2008 7:03 am

EADG wrote:
Superglide wrote:Interesting, What exactly makes Singapore cosmopolitan? What exactly makes Singapore more dynamic? Please elaborate.

while waiting for that elaboration, I wondered about that comment myself

according to the definition:

cosmopolitan Adjective
1. composed of people or elements from many different countries or cultures
2. having lived and travelled in many countries
3. sophisticated and cultured
Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006

well, 1 out of 3 perhaps

No "perhaps" about it.
That "1 out of 3" is the point (only one is needed).

SG more than any other place has "people . . . from many different countries or cultures."
Any other country have 4 official languages so divergent?

There is even further diversity in the cultures behind these 4 main languages:
Chinese - Hokkien, Teochew, Cantonese, Hakka, etc.
Indian - Tamil, Gujurati, Malayelam, Sikh, etc.

Beyond that - Indonesian (also diverse), Thai, Filipino, Vietnamese, etc.

EADG wrote:then this:
cosmopolitan Adjective
sophisticated, worldly, cultured, refined, cultivated, urbane, well-travelled, worldly-wise
Collins Essential Thesaurus 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2005, 2006

Cosmopolitan? er, no, not by these definintions, but you can go to NY or London or Paris for that.

But clean, green, pretty, efficent, growing, new, relatively safe - sure. And in relation to the OP, I like these aspects about the place. Actually.

A thesaurus is a guide for words similar or close in meaning, but does not provide definitions.
Furthermore, what is considered "sophisticated, . . . cultured, refined, cultivated, urbane" in one culture may have no value to another.

NY may be cosmopolitan and dynamic and a lot of New Yorkers love it there.
Would you care to walk around the streets at night in NY?
How about Central Park?
London any better nowadays?
Hear that London is very expensive, even for the locals.

Never been to Paris, but had a French friend that hated it.
He grew up just outside Paris.
Said there were too many Parisians there.
:wink:

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 29 May 2008 7:30 am

maneo wrote:.

SG more than any other place has "people . . . from many different countries or cultures."
Any other country have 4 official languages so divergent?

America, Britain and other European cities have more diverse populations and consequently more languages are spoken.

hk203
Regular
Regular

Postby hk203 » Thu, 29 May 2008 9:42 am

EADG wrote:
Forks wrote:"Come to Singapore... Clean Toilets!"

Try go to some coffee shop...you will soon forget why you are in that coffee shop in the first place cos you will lose all your appetite...

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 29 May 2008 5:33 pm

hk203 wrote:
EADG wrote:
Forks wrote:"Come to Singapore... Clean Toilets!"

Try go to some coffee shop...you will soon forget why you are in that coffee shop in the first place cos you will lose all your appetite...

Re Piss on the floors.

I know a Malaysian family, where the maid helps a ten year old in the bog, he stands there with hands on hips and she whips out his willy, aims it for him, wiggles the drips and tuck it back in, I can assume she wipes his bums as well.

No wonder there’s a need for targets on the urinal and a madam Pi Pi to help with the drips.

Maybe that could be a new tourist selling point in all the public WC here, like the petrol station, no need to DIY there will always be someone on hand to give you a hand