Singapore Expats Forum

What do expats actually like about singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 16 May 2008 8:39 am

Forks wrote:
ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Forks wrote:Sheesh, what is this the like it or leave it thread? I like lots about Singapore, i just thought Id list a few of its negatives, besides I dont remember the vitriol dripping when I posted that, Hate? No just things i dont like and besides I call em when I see em, perhaps if you dont like a bit of criticism you might want to try another forum as there is a lot of complaining here, some of Singapore related some of it not. But to satisfy you


No, it is a "What do expats actually like about singapore?"- thread.

Ooh, you just thought to list a few of Singapore's negatives, ain't that original. Haven't seen those list on this site before.

As the OP put it "So to go against the grain why not have a thread on what expats like about Singapore ".

But you pretty much proved his point, most expats know how to whine and complain.


No what I was pointing out was that if the criteria to show how wonderful Singapore was were clean toilets, nice beaches, etc etc as on the first list, was a pretty lame list. most expats dont like to whine and complain but are not willing to exhalt the mediocre, Perhapes a more in depth look at what is really good about Singapore might focus on what all the expats are doing here in the first place, rather than toilets, beaches, kid friendly locals and the like.

But since you seem willing to defend such low standards perhapses you can design the next promotion for Singapore Tourism Board and have those items on the posters, Im sure it will attract many people, I can see the Tag line Now "Come to Singapore, friendly customs officers and Clean Toilets!" What a winner.


Completely agree. I'd go a step further: to stereotype expats as whingers and to dismiss their negative observations is cliche and a waste of time. Plenty to like here in Singapore, plenty to dislike too. It's all completely subjective and lends itself well to a discussion, which is what a forum is all about.

User avatar
sillingw
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006
Location: West coast

Postby sillingw » Fri, 16 May 2008 1:19 pm

Ease of access to some of the most beautifull places on the planet
Ease of dealing with government (Tax, MOM, immigration etc)
In and out airport facilities
My Singaporean friends
The food
My lifestyle here
My Job
I actually like the weather
Agree with Forks on the Beautifull women :o

Been here nearly 3 years now and see my future no-where else at this time and have lived in many different countries before - Singapore overall compares very well - for me :D

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4291
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Fri, 16 May 2008 3:34 pm

I love the climate in Singaore and the sight of palm trees surrounded by the rich greenery that blends in so well with the urban environment. So nice to see a clean efficient metro (London Underground - like a coal mine). Friendly people. One can go out late and travel home or back to a hotel untroubled, nice to see clean streets and public toilets. The airport has pleasant atmosphere (shame on Heathrow) and yes all the beautiful women.

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Postby ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 16 May 2008 4:25 pm

Forks wrote:No what I was pointing out was that if the criteria to show how wonderful Singapore was were clean toilets, nice beaches, etc etc as on the first list, was a pretty lame list. most expats dont like to whine and complain but are not willing to exhalt the mediocre, Perhapes a more in depth look at what is really good about Singapore might focus on what all the expats are doing here in the first place, rather than toilets, beaches, kid friendly locals and the like.


That was very kind of you, to point out that other people appreciate lame things. Can i safely assume that your less lame list had the correct criteria: good salaries and women.

As you seem to know it, would you enlighten me, "what are all the expats doing here in the fist place?" I thought they are living here, obviously I’m missing something because all those items listed by OP could have an impact of living standards depending on your life situation of course.

And yes they do like to complain, everybody does not only expats, much more than giving positive feedback, nothing new in that.


But since you seem willing to defend such low standards perhapses you can design the next promotion for Singapore Tourism Board and have those items on the posters, Im sure it will attract many people, I can see the Tag line Now "Come to Singapore, friendly customs officers and Clean Toilets!" What a winner.


What low standards are you talking about, or are you just going to say something clever like service quality is mediocre in Singapore.

Most places I go I get good enough service in Singapore and especially good value for money. No not everywhere and always, but if I don’t like the service I don’t go again. Maybe we have a different idea what a good service is. I personally don’t really care if people smile or talk to me politely, for me it is important to get things done effectively and efficiently.

Thank you for your career advice, but no advertising is not my cup of tea.

Cecilia88
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby Cecilia88 » Fri, 16 May 2008 4:55 pm

Forks wrote:
Cecilia88 wrote:
Forks wrote:Immigration - look more like suffering NS people to me, ill fitting uniforms and the kinda look one gets from the teenagers at a fast food outlet, no wait I get better service at a fast food outlet.

The nice fake beaches - Do I need to take my passport as Im siting on sand from Malaysia or wherever, perhapses there should be an immigration booth at the beach then.

baby friendly - yes they are but they stare like they have never seen kids from another country before, from cars, passing buses, even slowing down sometime.

Clean, reliable, and easy commute to work - yes its all that but its also dull, boring and overpriced

Public toilets - what other country in the world has a wallOposters in the urinal exhorting people to not piss on the floor, or where aiming points are provided and still you can be slipping around on a floor awash in piss. Yes the aunti is nice but im a big boy now.


Oh, geez...
So there is really nothing you like about Singapore then.....
Then perhaps you should consider relocating to a place that you actually do not hate so much! :)


Sheesh, what is this the like it or leave it thread? I like lots about Singapore, i just thought Id list a few of its negatives, besides I dont remember the vitriol dripping when I posted that, Hate? No just things i dont like and besides I call em when I see em, perhaps if you dont like a bit of criticism you might want to try another forum as there is a lot of complaining here, some of Singapore related some of it not. But to satisfy you

I like

1. the good food
2. the warm climate
3. the good slaries
4. the beautiful women (and men if I was that way inclined)

happy now?


Oh, isn't it a bit harsh?!!!!
It just seems to me that your post is kind of biased, but there is no point of saying that I can't accpet criticism cuz I myself as an expat of course have things I like and hate about Singapore compared with China.

Okay, your list is just so perfect and convincing......

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4291
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Fri, 16 May 2008 5:33 pm

Maneo,
See your PM please.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Fri, 16 May 2008 7:19 pm

well well well!

i don't QUITE count as an expat, but i'd like to comment that there's no such thing as a "perfect" country.

singapore's a really young asian country; what, early 40s? what time has it had to develop itself sufficiently in areas of concern raises by people within and outside of the forum?

but my only worry is that as time goes by, singapore becomes a less desirable country to live in. right now it's done pretty good though.

work's easily available. the chances of me not getting paid, assaulted and confined within the country against my will are pretty damn low. i know i'll have no problems with the 5-0 as long as i don't break the law.

porn's always found online. gum ban's not strictly enforced. holidays to more "exciting" destinations are cheaply and widely found. like everyone i know, i have no desires to be a politician. food's available at all hours.

all that's good enough for me!

my only complaints are house prices, which, honestly, is by no fault of the country.

sure, i can nit-pick if i really want. it don't do me no good though...

User avatar
Forks
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon, 04 Feb 2008
Location: in the draw
Contact:

Postby Forks » Fri, 16 May 2008 10:41 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Forks wrote:No what I was pointing out was that if the criteria to show how wonderful Singapore was were clean toilets, nice beaches, etc etc as on the first list, was a pretty lame list. most expats dont like to whine and complain but are not willing to exhalt the mediocre, Perhapes a more in depth look at what is really good about Singapore might focus on what all the expats are doing here in the first place, rather than toilets, beaches, kid friendly locals and the like.


That was very kind of you, to point out that other people appreciate lame things. Can i safely assume that your less lame list had the correct criteria: good salaries and women.

As you seem to know it, would you enlighten me, "what are all the expats doing here in the fist place?" I thought they are living here, obviously I’m missing something because all those items listed by OP could have an impact of living standards depending on your life situation of course.

And yes they do like to complain, everybody does not only expats, much more than giving positive feedback, nothing new in that.


But since you seem willing to defend such low standards perhapses you can design the next promotion for Singapore Tourism Board and have those items on the posters, Im sure it will attract many people, I can see the Tag line Now "Come to Singapore, friendly customs officers and Clean Toilets!" What a winner.


What low standards are you talking about, or are you just going to say something clever like service quality is mediocre in Singapore.

Most places I go I get good enough service in Singapore and especially good value for money. No not everywhere and always, but if I don’t like the service I don’t go again. Maybe we have a different idea what a good service is. I personally don’t really care if people smile or talk to me politely, for me it is important to get things done effectively and efficiently.

Thank you for your career advice, but no advertising is not my cup of tea.


Meeeoww! Second guessing me works better when your correct. Good salries and women are better than clean public toilets unless your a bit strange.

I never said I knew why the expats were here, I put it as a question, now who is misreading things?

Low standards? the list at the start of it all. friendly customs officials? Clean toilets, child friendly locals remember? Those are low standards for a list of things you like about a country, most people dont get off the plane in a new country and run down that kind of checklist, do you, I suspect not, the list was lame, there are a hell of a lot of great things about Singapore, like Bukit Timah Hill for instance, or Paulau Ubin, or the good food, or the shopping or the other things listed by people here, not clean toilets and customs officials.

Its probably good you dont work in advertising, with skin that thin you wouldnt last the week.

I think you summed it up nicely in your last statement, you dont want politeness, you want efficient service, rather Singaporean. So we do have different ideas, I do like a smile with my service and if Im going to have my time wasted i would like some politeness, i dont care about clean public toilets as much and yes the service here is "good enough" but only just.

User avatar
Forks
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon, 04 Feb 2008
Location: in the draw
Contact:

Postby Forks » Fri, 16 May 2008 10:51 pm

Cecilia88 wrote:
Oh, isn't it a bit harsh?!!!!
It just seems to me that your post is kind of biased, but there is no point of saying that I can't accpet criticism cuz I myself as an expat of course have things I like and hate about Singapore compared with China.

Okay, your list is just so perfect and convincing......




Harsh? This is the Singapore expats forum? Ive seen a lot worse than what i posted. I did take offense to the "whining foreigners bit", Given the ammount of help, postive comments and support that are on this forum, Id say that there is already a lot more postive stuff, the parenting threads, the moving to Singapore threads, the social threads the endless NS threads, mostly positive stuff there, so there is the odd complaint but hell this aint Shangrila.

Biased by what, you dont like good food? Im not comparing China to any of this.

My list was my list, not yours, wasnt trying to convince you, but for me it is perfect, sure I missed a few things but thats what i like in general about Singapore

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Postby ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sat, 17 May 2008 1:19 am

Forks wrote:
Meeeoww! Second guessing me works better when your correct. Good salries and women are better than clean public toilets unless your a bit strange.


So do I read it correctly that married people who move to Singapore and sign for a lower salary than before are a bit strange? You got me there, I guess we are on a different planet.


Forks wrote:I never said I knew why the expats were here, I put it as a question, now who is misreading things?


My misunderstanding then, I read all expats are here for something, my apologies.




Forks wrote:Low standards? the list at the start of it all. friendly customs officials? Clean toilets, child friendly locals remember? Those are low standards for a list of things you like about a country, most people dont get off the plane in a new country and run down that kind of checklist, do you, I suspect not, the list was lame, there are a hell of a lot of great things about Singapore, like Bukit Timah Hill for instance, or Paulau Ubin, or the good food, or the shopping or the other things listed by people here, not clean toilets and customs officials.



Yep, I can see we have different appreciations. I guess I’m not the only one, couldn’t care much about bukit timah. But immigation matters to me, as I’m quite often lining up there. And I think some people are there even more often, but I’m sure you got it right and other reasons to appreciate Singapore are lame.



Its probably good you dont work in advertising, with skin that thin you wouldnt last the week.


I really appreciate your concern, but I’m doing fine. Not insulted, and your cutlery is not braking my skin. No worries there.




I guess there's the difference I my time is not so much more valuable tha

User avatar
Forks
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon, 04 Feb 2008
Location: in the draw
Contact:

Postby Forks » Sat, 17 May 2008 11:06 am

While trading barbs is fun, your still not getting it. and still trying to twist my words or misunderstanding what i said.

Simple fact the original list placed a priority on some relatively mundane aspects of this country, and then attempted to add the idea that there is a some sort of moaning expat out there who likes to post nothing but negativity about Singapore when its clearly not the case.

Your comment about married people and lower salaries is bizzare because its makes reference that Im bagging married people, no Im saying that most people are not moving to Singapore for the toilets, taking a lower salary, married or not if you like the job is fine, toilets though....

Of course all expats are here for somethig, your just being childish by implying that I suggested anything else.

Then you imply that I said Singaporeans are lame, I didnt say that either, and lining up at immigration happens to all of us, at the end of it I really dont care, and neither do most of us after a long flight, that the person stamping my passport is liking their job or not, we just want to get the hell out of there.

I guess there's the difference I my time is not so much more valuable tha


Id reply to this but it appears you were so apoplectic you didnt finish it.

If I have insulted you before I apologize, but I still think there is a lot of good stuff in Singapore and toilets is not on the top of most peoples lists and most expats dont whine any more than the locals, nor am I bagging Singaporeans in all this, just lame lists and bad stereotypes.

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007

Postby road.not.taken » Sat, 17 May 2008 11:19 am

Completely agree with you here Forks. Say one negative thing, even on an 'Expat Forum' where your opinion has been solicited, and some people only hear what they want to hear. They just can't accept that your opinion maybe different, or that you've offered positives as well. The majority would rather pigeon-hole all us expats as rich whingers. So let them, its their loss.

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Postby ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sat, 17 May 2008 4:03 pm

Forks wrote:
I guess there's the difference I my time is not so much more valuable tha


Id reply to this but it appears you were so apoplectic you didnt finish it.

If I have insulted you before I apologize, but I still think there is a lot of good stuff in Singapore and toilets is not on the top of most peoples lists and most expats dont whine any more than the locals, nor am I bagging Singaporeans in all this, just lame lists and bad stereotypes.


No correct word is drunk. I shouldn't play with computers after bar time.

and no you haven't insulted me, no hard feelings, at least not know when I'm sober again. Last night last message; I do not really recall what was in my mind. Half the meaning didn't come out right way in words.

Apologies from my side if I came out to aggressively.
So let's leave it here.

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 733
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008
Location: Titik Merah Kecil

Postby maneo » Sat, 17 May 2008 11:28 pm

Anything in the TOS about PUI? :wink:

User avatar
Forks
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon, 04 Feb 2008
Location: in the draw
Contact:

Postby Forks » Sun, 18 May 2008 8:31 am

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Forks wrote:
I guess there's the difference I my time is not so much more valuable tha


Id reply to this but it appears you were so apoplectic you didnt finish it.

If I have insulted you before I apologize, but I still think there is a lot of good stuff in Singapore and toilets is not on the top of most peoples lists and most expats dont whine any more than the locals, nor am I bagging Singaporeans in all this, just lame lists and bad stereotypes.


No correct word is drunk. I shouldn't play with computers after bar time.

and no you haven't insulted me, no hard feelings, at least not know when I'm sober again. Last night last message; I do not really recall what was in my mind. Half the meaning didn't come out right way in words.

Apologies from my side if I came out to aggressively.
So let's leave it here.


Fair enough.

Never drink and drive, never drink and drill and never drink and post. :)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests