Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Grand Prix (need Help)

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sat, 17 May 2008 10:01 pm

night race is nothing new. MotoGP had it in Qatar. what's diff in singapore is night AND street race. the lights are actually producing brighter (LUX) than sunlight!

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Tue, 20 May 2008 9:23 am

In theory the race is safer than Monaco where we are this coming weekend. Why? Because in Monaco the drivers are almost flat out through a dark tunnel and potentially bursting into bright sunlight. The shade of the visor cannot cover both both extremes so in reality they head through the tunnel almost blind, following the roof lights as a line.

This is why Shummie crashed in the tunnel a few years back, during the parade lap..... was be break tested, hmmmmm, conspirocy theory. :wink:

If Monaco was to be introduced as a new circuit today it would get laughed at so hard that a little pee would come out.

Will SG a success? Difficult. In theory the lighting will provide for a consistant drive, no shadows...... but, well, it's made by the Italians, and anybody that's owned an Alfa will know where i'm coming from on that one. :lol:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 20 May 2008 2:26 pm

You may wish to look at the tyres + humidity, + road surface! Don't ask me why though :lol:

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Tue, 20 May 2008 3:52 pm

Not hugely different from Sepang or Bahrain i suspect.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 21 May 2008 3:19 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Not hugely different from Sepang or Bahrain i suspect.
I believe humidity would have a significant impact on speed, Bahrain is around the same, although it depends on the season of racing, here, they only had low humidity in Malaysia, and had problems at 58% and 45% humidity, because of wrong tyres, i suspect. Singapore in September can be anything from 75% to 90%, which will have an effect on a slippy road, so the road construction is also relevant factor, they will be considering, if for example.

The thickness of the top layer and hardness, will all have an effect on rubber and torsion, propulsion, I can visulise several having difficulties, with speed here in Singapore, compared to other venues, especially for night racing. Although I'm no engineering expert, a little common sense will take in these factors, before pressing on the peddle. After all, it's more than a good driver, that's needed to win a race.

A few test rounds, will bring the problems to light, although the winners, will be prepared for the worst, and will have already taken these matters in hand, getting it right on the day is another matter.

http://www.formula1racing.com/ToyotaRound2.htm

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 21 May 2008 4:09 pm

Much of Sepang was resurfaced for this years race, and let me tell you hot bloody hot it was on the Sunday, OMG!