Singapore Expats

salary

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
vvbnu001

salary

Post by vvbnu001 » Sun, 11 May 2008 8:39 pm

hi
i am a single female and have taken a job in singapore with a salary of 3000$ plus 600$ rent allowance and medical benefits per month. I dont have a lavish lifestyle. I dont drink or smoke, am a vegetarian. will be living alone there. is this salary ok in singapore for a single person. your views will be appreciated.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 11 May 2008 9:12 pm

yes.

vvbnu001

Post by vvbnu001 » Sun, 11 May 2008 10:36 pm

thanks, it would be nice to know the average food expenditure for a single vegetarian per month there and also how much will be the travel expense per month on an average, considering i use train or bus and dont travel too much as i am a home bee.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 11 May 2008 10:51 pm

if you budget yourself carefully, i think you can live on S$5 per day for food and S$5 per day for travel. that is the minimum of the minimum.

frenzal
Regular
Regular

Post by frenzal » Mon, 12 May 2008 8:33 am

For $600/month rental, you will be looking at a common (read: small) room with a shared bathroom. If that suits you, then that salary seems to be enough.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 12 May 2008 7:19 pm

Depends on what you do, if you are a fully qualified Plastic surgeon I would say its a bit on the low side.

Gilly
Regular
Regular

Re: salary

Post by Gilly » Mon, 12 May 2008 11:42 pm

vvbnu001 wrote:hi
i am a single female and have taken a job in singapore with a salary of 3000$ plus 600$ rent allowance and medical benefits per month. I dont have a lavish lifestyle. I dont drink or smoke, am a vegetarian. will be living alone there. is this salary ok in singapore for a single person. your views will be appreciated.
You say you don't drink or smoke which is fine, but I'm sure you don't just survive on lettuce, rice and water? Even good fruit and veg here isn't cheap.

Then what do you do for fun? It's not just about allowance for food and rent/bills. Nothing is cheap in Singapore, so figure out what you're going to do and how much it'll cost.

Of course, if walking, reading (library books) and eating cheap staple and water, then you'll be fine.

Screename

Post by Screename » Fri, 16 May 2008 10:48 am

Well actually, the situation will not be so bad like statements above.

My salaly is only $3200 per month, much more lower than you, but it's still enough for me and my husband both. I rent a house for $1800, plus extra $160 for internet, water, electricity. Everyday we eat quite well (we cook by ourselves), also a lot of beers and out for meals on weekend.

My husband had a great job and a high salary in his country before, but since he arrived Singapore last October, he still cannot find a permanent job till now :cry: ,compare to the past, we are now living in a much more budget way, but for a single and simple woman like you, I really think you don't have to worry too much about it.

Gilly
Regular
Regular

Post by Gilly » Sat, 24 May 2008 12:54 am

Best of luck, I hope your husband finds a job.