Singapore Expats

shocking! Estimated 100,000 dead

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ksl
Governor
Governor

shocking! Estimated 100,000 dead

Post by ksl » Thu, 08 May 2008 11:38 pm

Myanmar cyclone!

Well I hope this news report is wrong, they are saying it could be 100,000
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080508/ts_ ... lone_dc_46

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sillingw » Fri, 16 May 2008 1:25 pm

and now the china earthquake as well, some of the news reports are really saddening, so many young kids, so many peoples lives destroyed, donating money seems so ineffective and so little.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 May 2008 2:31 pm

What is really sad it the fact that even if money is donated it is not going where it should. It's going into the General's bank accounts. The material aid that IS getting through is already showing up in the black markets. This was in the papers several days ago. This is also causing the influx of money to slow to a trickle as average joe bigheart isn't going to continue to open his wallet to stuff the General's banks accounts. The word in my company is to not send money at all as it will never be used for relief operations (the words are from my Burmese workers - over 50 of them).

China, on the other had seems to be doing it right this time, after the last fiasco. Surprisingly, they have also let a Japanese team into the country to help relief operations (the only one let in so far). It's a start in the right direction. Guess with the Olympics around the corner they need to show face.

Very, very sad about Myanmar and now another storm battering the delta as well adding insult to injury.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers