Singapore Expats Forum

Seal Rapes Penguin!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Seal Rapes Penguin!

Postby banana » Thu, 08 May 2008 11:17 am

Ok so basically a seal tried to hump a penguin. For the better part of an hour. Sometimes the funnies write themselves.

Full article here

What would drive this creature to think "mmm....penguin buttsecks tonight!" ? Pingu's cute but not THAT cute.
some signatures are more equal than others

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Seal Rapes Penguin!

Postby ksl » Thu, 08 May 2008 1:48 pm

banana wrote:Ok so basically a seal tried to hump a penguin. For the better part of an hour. Sometimes the funnies write themselves.

Full article here

What would drive this creature to think "mmm....penguin buttsecks tonight!" ? Pingu's cute but not THAT cute.

My personal opinion and I am quite familiar with animals in the wild, that the article is just a load of hogwash, and a reporter hyping a story, probably for money. The fact that the seal is a predator and being a young seal, would suggest it was hunting, and learning its skills, rather than humping, the seal would have difficulty holding the penguin, with its flippers, hence the humping motion.

Although it is also not uncommon for animals to display sexual acts on other animals, and maybe stimulated by smell of the opposite sex on heat. Nothing unusual at all, although a photo, like that, would bring in a few quid, don't you think, especially with a juicy story to back it up

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/ConservationA ... ica/Seals/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinniped#Feeding

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Thu, 08 May 2008 3:25 pm

At first read, I tended to agree with what you're saying. It seemed a little too bizarre, a little too gutter press. Like something you might find in The Sun or The National Enquirer. Then again, the Science section of BBC isn't exactly where they'd find the target readership for such sensational journalism, is it? Perhaps someone got lazy exercising their vested editorial powers. Perhaps a picture of the seal wee wee at full mast might be a little to risque, who knows.

That said, I vaguely recall watching a video on YouTube about two killer whales that played Pong with a seal one of them captured, before letting it go unscathed. Of course anything on YouTube could possibly be fake but hey, the world would be a much more dreary place if all that was talked about were politics, property, P&L and other "grown up" stuff.

edit: wrong video, this is the correct one

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 10 May 2008 4:27 am

banana wrote:At first read, I tended to agree with what you're saying. It seemed a little too bizarre, a little too gutter press. Like something you might find in The Sun or The National Enquirer. Then again, the Science section of BBC isn't exactly where they'd find the target readership for such sensational journalism, is it? Perhaps someone got lazy exercising their vested editorial powers. Perhaps a picture of the seal wee wee at full mast might be a little to risque, who knows.

That said, I vaguely recall watching a video on YouTube about two killer whales that played Pong with a seal one of them captured, before letting it go unscathed. Of course anything on YouTube could possibly be fake but hey, the world would be a much more dreary place if all that was talked about were politics, property, P&L and other "grown up" stuff.

edit: wrong video, this is the correct one

Couldn't agree more, stranger things happen I'm sure! Have you ever seen a person do a hand stand on one finger! I saw it happen in Beijing, and have photo's too, the kid was a Shaolin munk who could stand up on one finger for quite some time, he also bent a solid steel bar, what is used in concrete reenforcement, with the point of the bar resting on his throat, i tested the bar myself, before and after, and still scratch my head thinking about it, they say it was chi, that disturbs the flow of ions, in the metal. Nothing better, than exploration, to get away from boredom! :)

markhed
Regular
Regular

Postby markhed » Mon, 12 May 2008 2:35 pm

Well it was a fairly good lookin penguin...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 May 2008 6:04 pm

markhed wrote:Well it was a fairly good lookin penguin...

:cool: :lol:

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Wed, 14 May 2008 12:03 pm

:lol:

more from BBC:

great tits cope well with warming

you heard em ladies

hk203
Regular
Regular

Re: Seal Rapes Penguin!

Postby hk203 » Wed, 28 May 2008 5:14 pm

\
Last edited by hk203 on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Wed, 28 May 2008 9:42 pm

must be the same seal the penguin ran into when he took his car in for service

didja see the one of the lion and the dog?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR-iFNsC7Lo
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape