Singapore Expats Forum

Wanted: native-english-speaker and latin friends

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Amanda.224

Wanted: native-english-speaker and latin friends

Postby Amanda.224 » Wed, 07 May 2008 11:53 pm

Hi gals and guys,

I'm Amanda, 21f Asian graduate student..

I'm coming to Sing in mid June for my study and currently worried about living there, making new friends for coffee, chilling around and having fun, play sports and clubbing (maybe)...

I really want to make friends with native English speaker friends to improve my accent and pronunciation.. also want to look for French/Latin friends to tutor me with these languages..

New very new here.. looking forward to your replies or email me at amanda.224@hotmail.com ;)

Cheers,

A. :cool:

sene
Regular
Regular

native english

Postby sene » Mon, 12 May 2008 12:29 am

Your post puzzles me.

Why are you coming to Singapore to learn French or Spanish .. we're in the heart of Asia you know? Hope you are not refering to a 18th century map of the world.

You say you want to meet native english speakers to improve your english ... do you mean the Poms, Ozs, Kiwis or Yankees? Perhaps you may be better off meeting up with some "native English speakers" from Singapore as well as from India, Philippines or Sri Lanka. Many of the expats (and locals) from these countries speak very good English you know. :???:

Cecilia88

Postby Cecilia88 » Mon, 12 May 2008 12:34 pm

Hi, Amanda~

I have been in Singapore for more than a year now, and there is something I would like to tell you. Do not expect to meet so many "native English speakers" here in Singapore, after all, this is Singapore, not America. But you do have a lot of chance to meet local Singaporeans, Indians, Indonesians etc...I think it's a pretty good idea to make friends with them cuz they can speak very good English as well, and be really immersed into the cosmopolitan culture here, although not necessarily the "native English" culture.

Well, good luck~Just hope you don't set your expectations too high!!! :)
Cecilia

pixfirewall
Regular
Regular

Postby pixfirewall » Wed, 14 May 2008 11:45 am

Hi Amanda,

If your asian, what particular country where you born? As for the english, well it depends for different nationalities have different tone and accent when speaking english. I think your are referring to either American or British English as "native english"..just guessing...As for spanish why not take language courses for you'll have better guidance...not unless you already have and you need to have some practice speaking...

Just send me an email if you wanna hang around for I speak english and intermidiate spanish. Is that good enough? hahaha..Hopefully I will take spanish advance course..yet if you prefer spanish speakers coming from Spain or Latin America ..well hope you get to meet them via this forum..

Email me at dancruzjr@gmail.com I will be glad to be your tourist guide..hahahaha
pixfirewall
IM & email: dccruzjr@msn.com