Singapore Expats Forum

Problem with work

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

rane84

Problem with work

Postby rane84 » Tue, 06 May 2008 3:56 pm

Hi

Does anyone know what happens to expats if they get fired? As in does the company write a letter to Ministry of Manpower blacklisting you?

I am working at a MNC bank out here but having trouble resigning as I have to repay a large relocation allowance amount, if fired, I dont have to pay it back. but what are the implications of being fired in terms of reemployment in Singapore?

Thanks loads!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Problem with work

Postby ksl » Tue, 06 May 2008 4:31 pm

rane84 wrote:Hi

Does anyone know what happens to expats if they get fired? As in does the company write a letter to Ministry of Manpower blacklisting you?

I am working at a MNC bank out here but having trouble resigning as I have to repay a large relocation allowance amount, if fired, I dont have to pay it back. but what are the implications of being fired in terms of reemployment in Singapore?

Thanks loads!

Really this is a question of ethics and personal honour, you need to consider your agreement in the first place, and your actual motives for signing such an agreement.

Why don't you just stick it out until your contract is finished? To be deliberately sacked is beyond me to avoid paying back money.

I recall walking out of my job after a year, in a factory butchering 6 to 2 every day, doing the same old routine, they had actually taught me, the trade, and paid me while learning, the money was great, although doing the same thing over and over again, was driving me crazy, I used to talk with the pigs head in a morning, look for an excuse to walk out.

I had two jobs at the time, working in a night club from 9pm until 5 a.m anyway,, I told the boss i was leaving the butchering, I couldn't handle the piece work, and the non use of my brain, so i just left at 10 a.m and said i will never come back, they can keep my wages.

Little did i know, they couldn't keep my wages, they sent me letters and letters, asking me to come and pick up, my wages, so they cold terminate my contract as an employee. I felt a little guilty because of the 3 months it took to train me up, but they understood, the money was really quite good, at 13 pound an hour, and that was back in 1978. But I couldn't adapt to routine indoor working, after spending my life outdoors.

I think you have your own peace of mind to sort out, MOM shouldn't blacklist you because of it, but you should maybe ask them what to do, if you are so unhappy, to say, you just don't wish to pay relocation expenses back, is much to do with your own personal motives.

rane84

same

Postby rane84 » Tue, 06 May 2008 5:46 pm

Hi

Thanks very much taking the time out to reply. Its not out of sheer boredom that I wish to quit - although that is one of the reasons. I work shift work out here so thats 5pm to 12am or 8pm to 5am and its mostly data entry work although its glammed up when they advertise. The shift work is literally killing me, my health is just rapidly deteriorating and I cant afford med check ups here so need to go back home.

I dont have enough moeny to pay back the relocation amount and although I've worked for 6 months after relocating, they still expect back the full amount. So really pushed into a corner, thus the post.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: same

Postby ksl » Wed, 07 May 2008 12:47 am

rane84 wrote:Hi

Thanks very much taking the time out to reply. Its not out of sheer boredom that I wish to quit - although that is one of the reasons. I work shift work out here so thats 5pm to 12am or 8pm to 5am and its mostly data entry work although its glammed up when they advertise. The shift work is literally killing me, my health is just rapidly deteriorating and I cant afford med check ups here so need to go back home.

I dont have enough moeny to pay back the relocation amount and although I've worked for 6 months after relocating, they still expect back the full amount. So really pushed into a corner, thus the post.

Oh dear, I think you should take a trip to MOM and explain the circumstances, and ask them directly if you will be blacklisted because of it. I'm sure they have had many in the same situation...also give your contract a good read, there is also free legal advice in the heartlands, if you check with a community worker, to find, which night, the consultations are on, take your contract with you, they will quickly undertsand, if the contract is legal or not.

My personal thought is, you will not be blacklisted, because you don't like the job! If you keep going sick with aches and pains, they will have no alternative but to let you go....data entry, is no fun at all day in day out. I've just had 3 days of it, and still not finished. The eyes go after 4 hrs too! I'd be out of there like a shot, if i felt I was conned.

hk203
Regular
Regular

Re: Problem with work

Postby hk203 » Thu, 29 May 2008 10:37 am

\
Last edited by hk203 on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Levikane
Regular
Regular

Postby Levikane » Thu, 29 May 2008 2:02 pm

Have you tried talking to your boss about your circumstance? If they paid you that much money to relocate, surely they value you enough that they wouldn't want to lose you?

Compromise...

By the way does the '84 refer to your birth year?