Singapore Expats Forum

Maids - Housekeeper - New to Singapore need help

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Tiger51

Maids - Housekeeper - New to Singapore need help

Postby Tiger51 » Tue, 06 May 2008 12:15 pm

We are an Australian family new to Singapore and require a part time housekeeper to help with cleaning washing ironing and some cooking.
We need help in understanding the costs involved, and want some involvement in selecting the person that comes into our home, not just anyone that is available.

Also some guidance on costs per hour would be good as I am being quoted quite large variation in hourly rates and fees.

Any suggestions help would be appreciated

Iskandar

Postby Iskandar » Sun, 08 Jun 2008 5:21 pm

Try those who can give you a package rather than going by hour. Most who go by hour will drag their feet, or work when you are looking. Afterall, how much energy can a person work without rest ?? I used to be forced by my wife to do housework, and 2 hours is the most that I can endure :oops: Afterwhich, I need a beer :lol: :lol: :lol: oops ... not suppose to say that ....... am not suppose to drink ....

Rule of Thumb, if they try to make you sign a contract, forget it. Why get yourselve commited to a company who keep changing their staffs or short change you in work ???

markhed
Regular
Regular

Postby markhed » Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:45 am

Our experience was that it was actually better to get a full time live in maid. The part time maids worked out expensive and there was always hassle arranging hours etc.

A very experienced English speaking maid will cost you between $350-$500 for her and $275 to the govt. Its well worth it, especially if you have a young family like us.

Iskandar

Postby Iskandar » Sat, 14 Jun 2008 10:28 am

I heard of stories of maids using their employer's baby to beg in the streets . I didn't believe it till I personnaly come across one at commwealth Ave on 10th June 2008 4pm.

Carefull guys, screen your maids thoroughly before you emply them.

bruinbear
Regular
Regular

Postby bruinbear » Mon, 16 Jun 2008 8:34 pm

Yah get a live-in maid. Much more cost-effective.