Hot chicks, cheap drinks, cool crowd.

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Post Reply
Nailah
Regular
Regular
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu, 29 May 2008 3:36 pm
Location: Raffles Place

Re: Hot chicks, cheap drinks, cool crowd.

Post by Nailah » Fri, 30 May 2008 11:33 am

Er... let's see... For cheap drinks... go to the any Kopitiam (coffeeshops) in Singapore, and in the same kopitiam, you can also get hot chicks from the chicken rice stalls but the middle-age-SG-men crowd may not seem very cool... What is "cool" anyway? You mean you're very cool?

Then again, "cheap" may lower the "cool" factor in the eyes of "some" hot chicks... So er.. Hmm... how does the combo in the topic works...?



.

User avatar
TexasExpat
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue, 03 May 2005 2:58 pm
Location: Singapore

hot, cheap, and cool

Post by TexasExpat » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 12:18 am

I've recently been making it a point to drop by this board to browse and/or post more often after being away from it for quite some time. I must say it never fails to provide cheap entertainment. Anthropologists and sociologists must have a field day in here. Not sure why I ever left. But I digress...

Now then, before I go off on any of the other off-topic issues that have been raised here, let's at least address the OP...

[BIAS ALERT: 34 yr old white guy born and raised in the U.S.A. Incorrigible, yet semi-reformed SPG & SQ stewardess catcher. All opinions are subjective and are subject to be disregarded/belittled at will.]

Hot Chicks: Look around...beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. My usual haunts are Clarke Quay, Boat Quay, Loof, Dempsey Road, Club Street area, Zouk, China One, etc. Good looking white and asian women abound at Attica, in particular. I also hit up the B-yond parties on a regular basis. I hang around a mix of Asians and other Westerners. Most of the Asians guys in my social group are comfortable at these places. I should also mention most of them aren't from Singapore or have spent a significant amount of time outside of Singapore. Let's just say St. James Powerstation is not my cup of tea and leave it at that.

Cheap Drinks: Good luck. After 7 years here, I still haven't found them.

Cool Crowd: Cool is a very existential concept and cannot be defined/confined by one particular ethnic group's standards. In the American tradition, cool, amongst other meanings, implies a certain degree of detachment or not caring. By that standard, Singapore, while having many other positive attributes, is the antithesis of cool. Tokyo and New York on the other hand define it. Cool is also typically the domain of artists and other tastemakers, which, I'm going to go out on a limb here, I'm guessing you are not. 8-) Therefore, based on the above and your lengthy, impassioned, very undetached response (dare I say overreaction?) to at914's perceived slight, I would say you would probably not be perceived as cool by those who would define the cool zeitgeist in Singapore. What I might suggest instead is that you find a group of people whom you like hanging around with and who like hanging around with you. I'm not very cool and it's worked for me so far. :-)


Regarding some of the other posts, let's just say I get the same feeling reading them that I do when I watch one of Dave Chapelle's stand-up routines--uncomfortable squirming at times, doubled over in laughter at others. I would say that, in my experience, a vast majority of local women here do indeed prefer caucasian men to locals, whatever the reason. Speaking strictly on a biological basis, based on the disproportionate number of white men/asian women I see walking around with mixed-race offspring, I would say a large number of local women are voting with their genes. Instead of engaging in a debate with the other blokes, perhaps you'd get a more informed/reasoned response from some of the women that frequent this board, given that they are the ones ultimately doing the choosing.

And I have to close with this hilarious clip entitled "Yellow Fever"...love the ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63bWYFGB ... re=related

(For all my non-Chinese reading Caucasian brethren out there, the writing on his shirt roughly translates to: "White People Can't Understand This".)

Cheers,
M

User avatar
banana
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue, 24 May 2005 5:47 am

Post by banana » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 3:21 am

jpatokal wrote:
banana wrote:
jpatokal wrote:So why is it that white men in China, Japan, Korea, Thailand etc with zero local language ability manage to pull local totty in days?
money talks a universal language. I'm sure melbournejustice was referring to the other type of "totty".
No, I wasn't referring to rent-a-girlfriends, very few long-term Western expats in Asia seem to need to resort to them.
What's the difference? Long term expat = stable career = money. Don't think Homeless Bum Inc. has relocation packages. Just because it's not a fixed term transaction doesn't mean it's not about the money.

Not saying there aren't expats with scintillating personalities, but you can safely bet that doesn't usually 'pull totty in days', local or otherwise.
jpatokal wrote:
jpatokal wrote: Bwahaha! Certainly not in Singapore.
You need to get out more. Or look a little deeper.
Oh, c'mon. This is the country that bans lifelike dildos and feels the need to censor the illustrations on sex toys! Sure, the SPG set has seen it all, but I've seen local guys literally turn a bright shade of red because a woman sitting at the lunch table used the word "penis". And very, very few locals would be openly comfortable with their sexuality if it involves anything other than plain vanilla heterosexuality.
Japan pixellates key areas of interest in pornography, prostitution is illegal in most 'civilised' Western countries and the Western male is more likely to take a simple comment like "nice jeans" to think you want to bend him over and redefine Roger Ramjet. I'm as self-assured of my overwhelming sex appeal as anyone but I can also take a compliment at face value.

On the other hand, there are also Western males who will pretend to be all gentleman like and get offended when someone mentions "pussy" in the presence of a woman. What's your point?

There are purebred local men, who have never been overseas, who just don't see the big deal about checking a buddy for hernia while Western men get uncomfortable if you so much as strike up conversation while waiting to siphon the python. Evidently there are plenty of non-coloured grass snakes too.
some signatures are more equal than others

quiksing
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 9:48 am

Post by quiksing » Mon, 02 Jun 2008 2:48 pm

This is an interesting topic regarding Singapore. I will have to say that I agree when people on the board are stating that in Singapore people only do things based on their own personal well being or gain.
But then again that is most of the world. London, New York, Paris, etc. One thing I do see though being Asian is that the sense of community is lacking. You can go to many countries in Asia, ex. Japan, Korea, Thailand and get invited to join for dinner, drinks, etc. after a first meeting. Here in Singapore that is very lacking. Some locals I have met are nice no doubt but on the whole most people here are quite aloof.
That is why at work most people spend more time emailing versus picking up the phone! And there is way too much cc'ing!

ilya12321
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 7:30 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by ilya12321 » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 9:38 pm

Stereotypes do hold some truth (although some may seem ignorant and demeaning). For example: most of my black friends smoke weed, most of my white friends play video games, most of my Asian friends lack "game" (which I define as picking up women, not necessarily relationship-wise, but the actual approach). Do not get me wrong, not all black people smoke pot, but most the guys I knew from high school did (keeping in mind that they were living in the same residential environment as my white friends who did not smoke as regularly). This is not genetics, just cultural influences. Now this is just some anecdotal evidence gathered from my experience, maybe I am just the type of person to hang out with stereotypical individuals; although, each of my friends is unique in his or her own way. Yet i still see patterns, racial trends. I have lived in Toronto for most of my childhood and teenage years. It is one of the most multi cultural cities in the world. And as much as I hate to say it, a lot of the stereotypes (often prime material for stand-up comedians such as Russell Peters) are TRUE, obviously to some extent.

As for Singapore, I have only visited during my vacations so I am not that familiar with the people here (especially the locals). However, I do recall my parents' real-estate agent telling us a joke about how Singapore men often ask their partners to get a flat together as an indirect way of pursuing marriage.

In my opinion, I think it is logical for a society to lack sexual expression when the government has strict rules in regards to pornography, dildos, etc. I'm sure we all have sexual desires (this is common cross-culturally) but the medium for the expression for such desires seems more repressed in Singapore compared to other cultures such as the West. I am from the West, a place where a back-row blowjob is not an uncommon practice when seeing a B-rated flick. This CONSCIOUS freedom of sexual expression does have a double edged effect; sadly, in result we have underage girls acting like sluts, private and public objectification of women, etc. Singapore doesn't seem to have this problem, at the same time I predict that this culture, men in particular, is prude and heterosexually driven as compared to Western standards. I heard that gay people can't show their affections publicly, that in itself is a form of sexual repression.
Why are you reading this?

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 9:38 pm
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 10 Jun 2008 1:14 am

banana wrote:What's the difference? Long term expat = stable career = money. Don't think Homeless Bum Inc. has relocation packages. Just because it's not a fixed term transaction doesn't mean it's not about the money.
Explain all you like, but the statistical fact remains that (in the US) there are three times more Asian women married to white men than Asian men married to white women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interracia ... Statistics
banana wrote:Japan pixellates key areas of interest in pornography
...whereas Singapore bans it wholesale and still wraps Cosmo in plastic to avoid corrupting youth. :roll: Fer chrissake, I can watch Fashion TV in Abu bleeping Dhabi, but not in Singapore, because it's got... gasp... skimply clad models! And I can't get a satellite dish either, because those are banned too.
On the other hand, there are also Western males who will pretend to be all gentleman like and get offended when someone mentions "pussy" in the presence of a woman. What's your point?
My point is simply that Singapore's government and a good many Singaporeans are prudes, and not "generally more comfortable with their sexuality than Westerners" as melbournejustice asserted earlier.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

User avatar
banana
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue, 24 May 2005 5:47 am

Post by banana » Tue, 10 Jun 2008 3:12 am

jpatokal wrote:Explain all you like, but the statistical fact remains that (in the US) there are three times more Asian women married to white men than Asian men married to white women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interracia ... Statistics
thanks for that tit bit of useless information (you saw what I did there? :P ) Your debate was that white men in Asian countries could 'pull local totty in a matter of days'.
jpatokal wrote:...whereas Singapore bans it wholesale and still wraps Cosmo in plastic to avoid corrupting youth. :roll: Fer chrissake, I can watch Fashion TV in Abu bleeping Dhabi, but not in Singapore, because it's got... gasp... skimply clad models! And I can't get a satellite dish either, because those are banned too.
Have they banned Fashion TV whole sale? I remember Zouk and Fashion Bar used to screen them quite publicly. Anyway my point was that every country has different standards of censorship. And that makes your initial argument, of banning lifelike dildos as an indication of how sexually immature Singaporeans are, rather weak.
jpatokal wrote: My point is simply that Singapore's government and a good many Singaporeans are prudes, and not "generally more comfortable with their sexuality than Westerners" as melbournejustice asserted earlier.


Agree with you that the government's stance is prudish. However, my stance remains that you simply need to get out more to see that is not always the case where the people are concerned. Heck, simply not imposing your idea of sexual expression is enough.

That said, I'm all for skimpily clad women any where. :lol:
some signatures are more equal than others

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 9:38 pm
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:15 am

banana wrote:
jpatokal wrote:Explain all you like, but the statistical fact remains that (in the US) there are three times more Asian women married to white men than Asian men married to white women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interracia ... Statistics
thanks for that tit bit of useless information (you saw what I did there? :P ) Your debate was that white men in Asian countries could 'pull local totty in a matter of days'.
Are you now disagreeing with that? :o

Earlier, you replied with "money talks a universal language", meaning -- do correct me if I'm wrong -- that you agree the phenomenon exists, but you think it's the money that's drawing Asian women to white men.

So I gave you some stats to show that, even in a country like the US where the distribution of wealth between Asians and whites is fairly equal, white men are still marrying Asian women at a disproportionate rate. (Statistically -- more Wikipedia -- Asian males are in fact on average richer than white males!) Thus, money cannot be the only factor.

Then how?
Have they banned Fashion TV whole sale?
My mistake -- Google indicates that Starhub added Fashion TV to its lineup in Nov 2006. Hooray for Midnight Hot 8-)
Anyway my point was that every country has different standards of censorship. And that makes your initial argument, of banning lifelike dildos as an indication of how sexually immature Singaporeans are, rather weak.
So you think there's no correlation between a government's censorship policies and the prudishness/sexual maturity of its citizens?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

User avatar
banana
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue, 24 May 2005 5:47 am

Post by banana » Fri, 13 Jun 2008 1:21 am

jpatokal wrote:
banana wrote:
jpatokal wrote:Explain all you like, but the statistical fact remains that (in the US) there are three times more Asian women married to white men than Asian men married to white women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interracia ... Statistics
thanks for that tit bit of useless information (you saw what I did there? :P ) Your debate was that white men in Asian countries could 'pull local totty in a matter of days'.
Are you now disagreeing with that? :o

Earlier, you replied with "money talks a universal language", meaning -- do correct me if I'm wrong -- that you agree the phenomenon exists, but you think it's the money that's drawing Asian women to white men.

So I gave you some stats to show that, even in a country like the US where the distribution of wealth between Asians and whites is fairly equal, white men are still marrying Asian women at a disproportionate rate. (Statistically -- more Wikipedia -- Asian males are in fact on average richer than white males!) Thus, money cannot be the only factor.

Then how?
No, I am not disagreeing with the phenomena although pulling statistics from a different region with an entirely different socio-cultural setting is hardly considered good debate etiquette! Relevance aside, your after-the-fact explanation is still weak - the average Asian male in the US may be richer than the average US white male but we all know how averages work out, just look at the "average" income in Singapore.

So in fact, what you're saying actually supports the "money as universal language" argument. More white men are marrying Asian women because wealth distribution is more equal among whites than among Asians. ie; it's not true that the average Asian man is richer but as a whole they are.

There are simply more big spending white guys than there are Asian dudes. And that nicely segues into cultural differences. Certain women are attracted to people who spend, or who they think will spend, on them. White guys tend to fall into that category more than Asian dudes, therefore white guy gets more poon. But. That's not the kind of poon melbournejustice was talking about. I think. :lol:
jpatokal wrote:
Have they banned Fashion TV whole sale?
My mistake -- Google indicates that Starhub added Fashion TV to its lineup in Nov 2006. Hooray for Midnight Hot 8-)
had me worried there for a moment!
jpatokal wrote:
Anyway my point was that every country has different standards of censorship. And that makes your initial argument, of banning lifelike dildos as an indication of how sexually immature Singaporeans are, rather weak.
So you think there's no correlation between a government's censorship policies and the prudishness/sexual maturity of its citizens?
Correlation, perhaps, perhaps not. Influence, yes. I'd say like most things governments everywhere tries to control, it changes how a certain activity is conducted more than stunting it altogether. Especially a behaviour as intrinsic to human nature as sexual expression. It is there, just better hidden, more "sophisticated" (for lack of a better term) and apparently not evident to you.

I mean seriously, you are not saying lifelike dildos will bring about some kind of orgiastic revolution to blow us all away, are you? :lol:
some signatures are more equal than others

artursson
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 4:27 am
Location: Sleepy River USA

Post by artursson » Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:24 am

banana--I don't know about the other places you cite regarding racism, but as for Harlem: you're easily ten years out of date.

Still seven weeks from touchdown in Singapore, I'm shocked, I say shocked, at the absence of 'lifelike dildos' there! Actually, most dildos I've seen on display in the sexshops in my US locale aren't what I would consider lifelike. Not by a long shot, so to speak.

User avatar
banana
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue, 24 May 2005 5:47 am

Post by banana » Fri, 13 Jun 2008 5:18 pm

thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to remember you next time the urge to walk through Harlem yelling the N word comes. ;)
some signatures are more equal than others

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 751
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Tropical cosmopolitan island

Post by maneo » Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:31 pm

jpatokal wrote:Explain all you like, but the statistical fact remains that (in the US) there are three times more Asian women married to white men than Asian men married to white women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interracia ... Statistics
Ah, the fallacy of statistics, the third lie.

The statistics do not prove that these men "pull in" Asian women.
How egocentric (or in this case gender-centric).

This disparity may actually reflect differences in the pull of the women rather than of the men.
Reminds me of an old joke about 2 men and a woman from different cultures (Italians, French, Germans, Greeks, Americans, etc.) stranded on a desert island . . . .

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 9:38 pm
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Post by jpatokal » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 2:47 pm

banana wrote:No, I am not disagreeing with the phenomena although pulling statistics from a different region with an entirely different socio-cultural setting is hardly considered good debate etiquette!
Must've missed that one back in debate club... :o
So in fact, what you're saying actually supports the "money as universal language" argument. More white men are marrying Asian women because wealth distribution is more equal among whites than among Asians. ie; it's not true that the average Asian man is richer but as a whole they are.
Ok, now I'm going to insist on you showing some stats to back that up, because I'm pretty sure you're pulling that out of your ass. The figures I quoted earlier were median incomes, so it is true that the average Asian man is richer than the average white guy in the US.
There are simply more big spending white guys than there are Asian dudes. And that nicely segues into cultural differences. Certain women are attracted to people who spend, or who they think will spend, on them. White guys tend to fall into that category more than Asian dudes, therefore white guy gets more poon. But. That's not the kind of poon melbournejustice was talking about. I think. :lol:
So you still think it's all about the money? Here's a statistical conundrum for you then: the median black income in the US is around two-thirds of the median white income. You'd thus expect "poor" black women to be marrying up to "rich" white guys, right? Yet there are 2.5x more black men marrying white women than the other way around. Why?
banana wrote:Correlation, perhaps, perhaps not. Influence, yes. I'd say like most things governments everywhere tries to control, it changes how a certain activity is conducted more than stunting it altogether. Especially a behaviour as intrinsic to human nature as sexual expression. It is there, just better hidden, more "sophisticated" (for lack of a better term) and apparently not evident to you.
OK, I'm genuinely curious now. Please tell me a few ways in which how sexual expression in Singapore is better hidden and more "sophisticated" than in the West, and thus not evident to a misguided ang moh like me. Horny uncles molesting their live-in maids? KTV lounges and Geylang brothels?
I mean seriously, you are not saying lifelike dildos will bring about some kind of orgiastic revolution to blow us all away, are you? :lol:
Gotta start somewhere :P
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

User avatar
banana
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue, 24 May 2005 5:47 am

Post by banana » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 7:30 pm

jpatokal wrote:Must've missed that one back in debate club... :o
guess so ;)
jpatokal wrote:Ok, now I'm going to insist on you showing some stats to back that up, because I'm pretty sure you're pulling that out of your ass. The figures I quoted earlier were median incomes, so it is true that the average Asian man is richer than the average white guy in the US.

So you still think it's all about the money? Here's a statistical conundrum for you then: the median black income in the US is around two-thirds of the median white income. You'd thus expect "poor" black women to be marrying up to "rich" white guys, right? Yet there are 2.5x more black men marrying white women than the other way around. Why?
For every Asian that goes on census records, there are probably 10 "ghosts". As much as I personally find it distasteful, that's how resources are distributed in the Asian community. Still, I indeed do not have statistics to back that up so dismiss it if you must.

When you bring the black community into the picture, we're dealing with a different beast altogether. Culturally speaking, black women are more inclined to mate within the community than Asian women.
jpatokal wrote:OK, I'm genuinely curious now. Please tell me a few ways in which how sexual expression in Singapore is better hidden and more "sophisticated" than in the West, and thus not evident to a misguided ang moh like me. Horny uncles molesting their live-in maids? KTV lounges and Geylang brothels?
KTV lounges and Geylang brothels are but the more obvious displays. A lot of it has to do with linguistic nuances and communication subtleties that, quite honestly, I have trouble explaining. All I can say is keep in mind that when it comes to affairs sexual, Singaporeans speak in "code" and operate on certain things being "understood" so much so that unless you're part of that clique, it's unlikely you will get it. Even if you're another Singaporean.

Again, feel free to think this is a cop out. I don't claim to be able to decipher everything or can point out to you who is screwing who. I just know it exists and if you're getting some, don't worry too much.
jpatokal wrote:
I mean seriously, you are not saying lifelike dildos will bring about some kind of orgiastic revolution to blow us all away, are you? :lol:
Gotta start somewhere :P
Viva la revolution! Viva la dildo! :lol:
some signatures are more equal than others

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 751
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Tropical cosmopolitan island

Post by maneo » Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:24 am

jpatokal wrote:
There are simply more big spending white guys than there are Asian dudes. And that nicely segues into cultural differences. Certain women are attracted to people who spend, or who they think will spend, on them. White guys tend to fall into that category more than Asian dudes, therefore white guy gets more poon. But. That's not the kind of poon melbournejustice was talking about. I think. :lol:
So you still think it's all about the money? Here's a statistical conundrum for you then: the median black income in the US is around two-thirds of the median white income. You'd thus expect "poor" black women to be marrying up to "rich" white guys, right? Yet there are 2.5x more black men marrying white women than the other way around. Why?
Affairs of the heart are much more complex than can be explained by such trivial concerns as who would spend more.

As you suggest, it's not likely for money.
Assuming the women are freely deciding to marry, there must be something appealing to them.
Women's magazines frequently mention that they seek a sense of humour and sense of confidence.
For the statistically insignificant sample of black men I've known, they certainly did not lack either.

Of course if you ask a black dude, he'd likely say it's because he's got something you wish you had.
As they sometimes say, once you try black, you'll never go back. :P

As for the black woman, she just might say she's just too much woman for a white guy to handle.
That seems to explain it all.
Damn straight. :wink:

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Entertainment, Leisure & Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron