Singapore Expats Forum

Plastic bags

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 08 May 2008 8:56 pm

just throw all your raw rubbish down the chute. no need to put them in plastic bags. that's what i do with my durians. :P

oku
Regular
Regular

Postby oku » Fri, 09 May 2008 8:45 am

well, was in toronto for 2 months last year and guess what.......... lots of people do not carry their own bags.........in supermarkets, it is plastic here, there and everywhere.......and i thought the people in the west are so passionate about the "save the earth, use less plastic bags" thingy. :???:

so i am heading to washington this month for a short stay, let me checkout the supermarkets.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Sat, 10 May 2008 4:31 am

Not exactly "uniquely Singapore", but for a presumably developed country like Singers quite remarkable, that such is a topic for debate.

Here in The Netherlands, we recycle all our garbage: In front of our condo here are several containers, where you can throw in, separately: textiles, organic garbage, glass, plastic, paper & carton. Furthermore on every 2nd and 4th week of the month on Tuesday morning, there is a van stopping in front, collecting all chemical disposal such as batteries and alike.

In the supermarkets you can only buy reusable bags (1 euro), all bottles of bottled drinks have a deposit of 50 eurocents and are to be returned, all garbage bags are "green" / recycable and so forth.

Why Singapore doesnot even consider such policies?
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso