Singapore Expats Forum

Black mould - how to test, what to do?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

cantila
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 29 Apr 2008

Black mould - how to test, what to do?

Postby cantila » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 7:59 pm

Hi,

We recently moved into a new home - a house. When setting up the kitchen, I noticed that under the sink the owner had taped a bunch of foil on the bottom. When I lifted that up, I could see black mould.

I know black mould can be toxic and very dangerous, and know that there is harmless mould that is black vs. toxic black mould.

What I don't know is who to call in Singapore to get it tested, or where to buy a kit, and what options I have if mould is discovered.

I've signed a two year contract.

Help! Please!!

Wendy
Cantila

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005
Location: Nassim hill

Postby QRM » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 9:41 pm

Its just a small patch of mold, not Anthrax so you can keep the Hazchem suit in the draw for now.

You sure its mould ? a lot of Stainless steel sinks have a layer of black foam insulation tape with a foil backing to allow it to stick to a mounting surface to prevent it from popping when hot water is poured onto it.

If it is foil then I would be more worried about why has someone stuck foil on the sink, Is it leaking? If you just signed the lease get the landlord to repair it, or have it noted as a fault so in two years time you will not be liable for all the damage to the cabinets if it is a leak.

To clean mould use bleach, or a spray on mould remover for bathrooms in any supermarket. Cleaning it would be pointless unless you find the source of the problem.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 9:52 pm

Mold spores are highly dangerous for your health and can totally incapacitate and even kill! So call the health service, to have it checked out! Also a killer of babies, I also know of a guy with lung damage because of breathing mold spores in UK, the local housing authority had to pay compensation and fined. That's how dangerous it is.

You can also do a search for removal!

http://www.essortment.com/all/whatisblackmo_rfls.htm

one843
Regular
Regular
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed, 15 Mar 2006
Location: Ubi

Postby one843 » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:56 am

If it a fluffy black mold, if I remeber right it is called blach hair hold due to the fact it looks like animal hair. I had the smae in my bathroom in the States. IF it is this then it isd non-toxic. However, if the mold is disturbed in any way it will release spores which can irritate your lungs. One time exposure is nothing to worry about.
One thing to keep in mind is that if you do not have the mold removed and another species of mold grows in the smae place they will not get along and constantly release spore to fight each other off.
Do not make the common mistake of spraying the mold with bleach as this will also cause the mold to release spores.
If you wish to remove your self that is ok. But I would aggest you wear a good mask to keep from breathing spores.
When I say good mask I mena a good mask not the kind that keep dust out you need a good mask that the spore can not get there way threw the holes.
"If you fear change, you fear success"


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests