Singapore Expats

How To Become Cabin Crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Plavt
Director
Director

How To Become Cabin Crew

Post by Plavt » Fri, 25 Apr 2008 8:55 pm

Posted on behalf of Singaporegrrl

Something I found online. Nice to share but sometimes redundant coz people will ask redundant questions over and over again. Nevertheless, enjoy.

1. How to become a member of Cabin Crew
Becoming a member of Cabin Crew is as much about attitude as experience. In fact, many airlines will advertise cabin crew jobs that do not need previous experience. If you have good customer service experience, then make sure this is clear in your CV. But otherwise, a positive attitude, energy and friendliness will get you a long way; experience is not crucial.

Fundamental, though, is your attitude. You must have excellent people skills, confidence and a friendly nature. You will need to be happy, patient and considerate. You will also help yourself to find a job as a flight attendant if you make sure you are well presented and groomed.

Before embarking on your cabin crew job search, you will do well to prepare a strong CV. The CV will need to be clear and short. Include your work experience with your most recent job at the top. Be sure to also include a photograph of yourself inserted within your CV document.

Many airlines advertising flight attendant jobs (for instance Emirates cabin crew jobs) will expect you to complete an application form. Having all your information within your CV will help you when completing application forms.

Essential requirements for almost every airline are: an ability to swim 25m, a valid passport, and fluency in English.

2. Cabin Crew as a Career
Airline cabin crew, also known as flight attendants, are primarily responsible for ensuring passenger safety during flight. They are also required to ensure the comfort of passengers which is why good customer service skills are so important.

Hours can vary so a flight attendant's career is not for those who like to work 9-5 Monday to Friday. But the lifestyle is social, friendly and sometimes exotic - especially for long-haul cabin crew jobs where you will fly and stop-over at world airports. It is hard work, but it is also rewarding.

3. Cabin Crew Jobs / Flight Attendant Jobs
Finding flight attendant jobs is simple. But making a successful application will depend on your CV / Application profile.

Different airlines offer different jobs for flight attendants. Long-haul cabin crew are broadly the same as short-haul, but the specific differences are many and varied. From stop-overs to customer relationships to the number of colleagues on board - all of these issues and more depend on the airline and the types of flights you work on. As an ab initio (inexperienced) candidate you will not have all the options, but it is worth considering what kind of flight attendant job you would prefer. Research your favoured airlines and find out about them.

Once experienced as a flight attendant you will have more career options. You may wish to move to Business Class, First Class or VVIP Cabin Crew jobs - in fact have a look at this job. You will have the experience necessary to apply to some of the world's biggest airlines jobs as senior crew, or even an executive jet airline or private jet operator as VVIP cabin crew.

You may even wish to seek an ex-cabin crew job. Many employers seek ex-cabin crew to work in offices as their excellent customer-facing skills are highly sought after.

4. CV Tips
It's worth addressing your CV now if you've not already done so. Your CV should always be kept up to date to prevent you from forgetting something. You can then use it to apply for jobs. If you need to complete an application form, an up to date CV will mean all the information is to hand.

Sooner or later you'll be asked to also send a photograph of yourself with your application. So sort this out now. You will need 1 full length photograph, and 1 passport head shot. The recruiting employer needs to see you (not you in front of the Eiffel Tower) so make sure you're well in the foreground! This isn't a family snap. You need to be extremely well groomed for the photo, looking smart and smiling.

Once you have a photo you will need to make it small enough to be able to send by email, or to insert into your CV itself.

Your CV needs to be clear, uncluttered and honest. It should work in reverse chronological order, bullet pointing the key skills and areas of responsibility. No wordy paragraphs are required (or wanted). And fancy colours, graphics, fonts and backgrounds are not necessary (or wanted)!

5. Persistence
Eventually you will find the job you're after. But no one said it will be easy. To increase your chances:

a. don't apply for jobs if you don't meet the minimum criteria - it's a waste of your time

b. prepare well - find out about the company

c. be determined - no half measures on the application form or CV... want that job

d. Open Days - be smart, happy and as relaxed as possible. Take a couple of copies of your CV, with photos, clearly labelled

e. stay fully up to date on new jobs

So, that's it. We wish all of you the very best of luck in looking for a job in this unusual, brilliant industry!

Chrissie89

Post by Chrissie89 » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 5:54 pm

Thanks for the added tips! :)

shynsam

Post by shynsam » Sun, 13 Jan 2013 12:01 pm

Yes I agree. Do not worry about yourself not "looking good". Good attitude and always smiling and relaxed is what they are looking for.
Good luck to all who is trying ;)

Shikakui

Re: How To Become Cabin Crew

Post by Shikakui » Tue, 24 Apr 2018 9:18 pm

very useful tips!
Thank you!

Popy

Post by Popy » Wed, 16 Jan 2019 1:13 pm

Do you know if in Singapore they are hiring non locals as cabin crew?

Rasputin

Re:

Post by Rasputin » Wed, 10 Jul 2019 6:08 pm

shynsam wrote:
Sun, 13 Jan 2013 12:01 pm
Yes I agree. Do not worry about yourself not "looking good". Good attitude and always smiling and relaxed is what they are looking for.
Good luck to all who is trying ;)
They need more than that, you need to do some thinking and some research.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Re:

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jul 2019 12:19 am

Rasputin wrote:
Wed, 10 Jul 2019 6:08 pm
Ras...You also might want to do a little thinking and some research. Wouldn't make you look quite so dense yourself, considering your lack of spatial awareness (scary if on a plane!) considering you didn't notice you were replying to a post that is 6 years old! :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Rasputin

Re: Re:

Post by Rasputin » Sat, 13 Jul 2019 5:12 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 11 Jul 2019 12:19 am
Rasputin wrote:
Wed, 10 Jul 2019 6:08 pm
Ras...You also might want to do a little thinking and some research. Wouldn't make you look quite so dense yourself, considering your lack of spatial awareness (scary if on a plane!) considering you didn't notice you were replying to a post that is 6 years old! :roll:
So what!? We all make mistakes, including yourself. In case you don't know the equipment I use isn't very good - local library. I remember the Americans couldn't even land their helicopters in the right place in a political event years ago. You must have been the commander. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Jul 2019 6:06 pm

With all the electronic media, why would you be using the library. You obviously have internet access and a decent hookup considering you are posting from a UK isp. And, mate, tell you something, you really need to take a look in the mirror considering Brexit. I reckon you guys made a bigger cock-up than we did.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon, 15 Jul 2019 11:38 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 13 Jul 2019 6:06 pm
With all the electronic media, why would you be using the library. You obviously have internet access and a decent hookup considering you are posting from a UK isp. And, mate, tell you something, you really need to take a look in the mirror considering Brexit. I reckon you guys made a bigger cock-up than we did.
I am using the library because I cannot afford a computer! As for Brexit - I voted remain so you have made a bigger cock-up than me.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Jul 2019 3:19 pm

"I" did? "I"'ve not be in the US for 36 years now, aside from 2 or 3 weeks every 2 or 3 years. (not counting an 11 year gap between 84 & 95.) I can afford a computer, so that makes me a bigger cock-up? I'll have to remember that. Thanks! :-k #-o :wink:

AvisZainal

Post by AvisZainal » Mon, 03 Feb 2020 9:16 am

well most important is your personality..always smile and friendly during interview no matter how hard is the questions etc...
stay positive and you will earn your wings soon..

CashewNut

Post by CashewNut » Wed, 05 Feb 2020 5:24 pm

Popy wrote:Do you know if in Singapore they are hiring non locals as cabin crew?
Yes i heard some are sourced from Taiwan and housed here in Singapore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro