Singapore Expats Forum

Quit from Singapore without informing Employer

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

bvbhaskar

Quit from Singapore without informing Employer

Postby bvbhaskar » Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:18 am

Hi, anyone can provide me some inputs regading quitting Singapore without informng employer. If the person is having any personal problems and the employer doesn't allow him to leave Singapore due to work then how can that person come out from singapore. Can he come out without informing to the employer?? If so, any issues??

dragonboat

Postby dragonboat » Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:24 am

Just don't report for work for a week, you'll be sacked in no time. Then you can leave. :wink:

bvbhaskar

Postby bvbhaskar » Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:25 pm

Thanks, He keep sending mails that "He is going to take Legal actions". I dont understand, If the person doesn't like work, place, sick etc then how can he threat him. Does he really can take any sever legal action? if so please any one can tell me what are precaution should take.

dragonboat

Postby dragonboat » Mon, 20 Sep 2004 2:08 pm

I don't know how your contract is like. I believe in most cases, either party can terminate the employment contract by giving 1-3 months notice.

Postby Guest » Mon, 20 Sep 2004 4:38 pm

Once again thanks, And I didn't sign on any contract. But as per my offer letter it was towards employer. Like, anytime they can terminate based on work, performance etc. Also there was a clause saying that "Failig which have to pay direct or indirect damages" thats it.

My worry is, will they creat any problem to get my Visa to either US or UK? even for Singapore in future?

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:14 pm

Civil law is not criminal law. All your employer can do is sue you, and even that is extremely unlikely -- Singaporean law may be heavily biased in favor of the employer, but you do always have the option to quit. Singapore immigration, or other countries, could not care less if you're sued here... but any assets you have in Singapore may be at risk.