Singapore Expats Forum

Nasty houses

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Nasty houses

Postby QRM » Fri, 25 Apr 2008 6:28 pm

The recent double page spread showing the interior of St Regis Hotel It looked like collaboration between Idi Amin, Saddam Hussein, and a mainland China karaoke bar owner.
I know one mans food is another poison but what’s the logic behind those houses with fake roman columns, chandeliers so out of proportion they almost touch the floor.

If you offer these people a fake Rolex they will turn their noses up. They wouldn’t be seen dead in a Korean copy of a Mercedes and yet for the biggest investment, they choose a house with false columns, fiberglass clam shape fountains all a total fake.

Just goes to show money and taste are worlds apart.

Turtle
Regular
Regular

Postby Turtle » Fri, 25 Apr 2008 6:43 pm

It's because the taste may be fake, but the money is real. As long as it actually cost millions and millions and you can tell people that, what it looks like isn't really relevant. In fact, it might even be part of the draw, i.e. the unsaid brag being "I'm so rich that I can afford to blow cash on things that clearly aren't really worth it".

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Apr 2008 9:54 pm

Not quite true about the Rolex's. They will re-badge a Toyota Harrier at the drop of a hat. Probably 80% of the Rolexs you see are fake as well.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Apr 2008 9:55 pm

That just like my taste in women!

I don't want a woman with good taste. :(

I want a woman that tastes good! :mrgreen:

edited to correct very bad typing! 8-(
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Sat, 26 Apr 2008 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Des
Regular
Regular

Curiouss to know more

Postby Des » Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That just like my taste in women!

I was a woman that tastes good! :mrgreen:

Hmm... through wat I saw in this line? I'm just quite curious wat do u really mean by "woman that taste Good n women with good taste"

QRM
Manager
Manager

Re: Curiouss to know more

Postby QRM » Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:41 am

Des wrote:

Hmm... through wat I saw in this line? I'm just quite curious wat do u really mean by "woman that taste Good n women with good taste"

DES,

Its humor Des, I believe its a type of humor known as Nonsensism or Epigram: Its not to be taken seriously, If a joke has to be explained it takes away the spontaneity and its no longer funny.

I appreciate English is not your mother toungue so I hope that helps you.

Turtle
Regular
Regular

Postby Turtle » Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:12 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I was a woman that tastes good! :mrgreen:

Well that explains a lot. :wink:

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Sat, 26 Apr 2008 1:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Not quite true about the Rolex's. They will re-badge a Toyota Harrier at the drop of a hat. Probably 80% of the Rolexs you see are fake as well.

Were you pointing to the fact that the Harrier is ALREADY a re-badge?

My ability to spot sarcasim and irony is beginning to leave my body after just a year here. Still the fact you used to be a woman probably has gone some ways to explain my confusion.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Re: Nasty houses

Postby road.not.taken » Sat, 26 Apr 2008 2:12 pm

QRM wrote:The recent double page spread showing the interior of St Regis Hotel It looked like collaboration between Idi Amin, Saddam Hussein, and a mainland China karaoke bar owner.
I know one mans food is another poison but what’s the logic behind those houses with fake roman columns, chandeliers so out of proportion they almost touch the floor.

I'm a little confused by this, first you're talking about the St. Regis (which I've been in a few times, and thought it was lovely) and then you're talking about private 'nasty homes'? Do I have that right? The two are not really related are they?

To answer your question (what’s the logic behind those houses with fake roman columns, chandeliers so out of proportion they almost touch the floor):

I can tell you only that logic has nothing to do with it. I have been told so many wild stories by property agents and the owners of the architectural frankensteins that seem to flourish here (can anyone say nouveau riche?) -- that I stopped asking.

How can you plausibly explain why someone would line the soffits of the formal living room with a row of a dozen identical ceramic bunnies, mount the projection TV in the foyer, so you have to duck upon entering the house every time, put the swimming pool in the one place in the garden that can not be seen from any window, put in a lift that can't hold a wheel chair, etc...

At least these features, while stupid aren't dangerous. We had one of those hideous da vinci chandeliers in a house we lived in which came crashing down over our dining room table and did about $10,000 worth of damage. I asked them to check the installation of the others in the house and 18 months later an even bigger one fell two stories in the foyer. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

New money and sophistication rarely go hand in hand.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Apr 2008 2:15 pm

Boy did my rapid typing slap me in the face! I should know better than type and run without previewing!

Edited to correct. :oops!: :shit:

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Sat, 26 Apr 2008 2:39 pm

Turtle wrote:

Ah the infamous Freudian slip, rears its ugly head

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:06 am

QRM wrote:
Turtle wrote:

Ah the infamous Freudian slip, rears its ugly head

It may have been a slip, but it wasn't SMS, it was Des, having a laugh! not a genuine mistake, by Des! Take another look!
SMS:Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:55 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That just like my taste in women!

I don't want a woman with good taste.

I want a woman that tastes good!

Des wrote:

Des had altered the line :P

QRM
Manager
Manager

Re: Nasty houses

Postby QRM » Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:57 am

road.not.taken wrote:I'm a little confused by this, first you're talking about the St. Regis (which I've been in a few times, and thought it was lovely) and then you're talking about private 'nasty homes'? Do I have that right? The two are not really related are they?

It was the big gold coloured cornicing along with a mish mash of colours and styles that reminded me of all those nasty Roman wedding cake houses.

The interior of the refurbish Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong is very tastefully done a subtle blend of East and West. St Regis says nothing about where it is located.

I recently viewed a house designed by a renowned architect; the current owners butchered it with the Karaoke/brothel, mock Louis 16th, cum Palladian villa with cherubs look.

Owners noted that everything was expensive, hand made and imported from Italy. The low ceiling had huge cornicing, the lovely original American walnut doors painted white with nasty grape beading the list is endless

Bit like buying a lovely Aston Martin and sticking on (expensive) wooden carriage wheels and change the rear lights to solid gold gas lamps

Even the estate agent warned us and said be prepared to vomit. Needless to say they cannot sell the house its would be a major strip out to return the house to its former glory

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Sun, 27 Apr 2008 10:47 am

As one real estate agent told us when we remarked on the larger than life greco-roman nymphette water feature in the center of the master bedroom: yes, very high crass. :o

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:13 pm

road.not.taken wrote: yes, very high crass. :o

Excellent one road.not.taken