Singapore Expats Forum

Well come on ! Someone !

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 25 Apr 2008 3:38 pm

ozchick wrote:
Saint wrote:Can anyone guess who's just been granted Singapore PR?! :D

Dear Lord (not YOU saint),
Has this person been 'in the news on here lately'?
I'm thinking the worst here..and in the words of John McEnroe I can only say " SURELY YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS ?"
Nah, think I'm barking up the wrong tree here. The person I'm thinking of has been here for yonks and doesn't like the place anyway. P'raps if he's reading this he might like to confirm ? :wink:

Have you been on the GnTs? It's me!

Who were you thinking it was???

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Fri, 25 Apr 2008 6:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
(I started on 13 Jan at 94kg with a BMI over 32 which is considered not overweight but Obese!)

sms please tell me you are a 4ft high midget. I am 94kg, OK the Chippendales recruitment guy wont be hammering on my door, I don’t think I am obese :roll:
or is denial the first sign of obesity

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Apr 2008 9:51 pm

QRM,

Hate to say so but yes I am. Well not quite, I'm 5'7" and accordingly I'm definitely obese. (or was)

As far as denial goes you have no idea how true that really is. I have looked at myself in the mirror for the past 3 years since I quit smoking (were I gained the last 12 kg) and while I knew that I was gaining weight, my mind's eye only saw a little bit of it. What put the cap on it was having to buy a pair of slacks and finding out I could only fit into a 40! Did 2+ months of research and settled on this program (I know an Aussie bloke here who did it last year and lost 49 kg in 6 months) It was through his introduction that I got started. Anyway, I got out the digital camera and put it on a tripod one evening when nobody was home and put on a pair of shorts only and took a series of front, side & back full length mugshots. When you look at a picture on a computer screen you look a hell of a lot different that you do in the mirror I can tell you that! It was a shock to my system. 14 weeks later I'm starting to feel good about myself again. :)

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 26 Apr 2008 12:25 am

SMS, that's Grrrrrrrreat! I'm in awe at your will and perseverance.
One man's meat is another's poison.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:13 am

Thanks GC.

My target is to become the man I was at 20 (40 years ago). While I am aware that I can never actually attain that per se, I can go back to where I was fit, didn't smoke, and was of normal BMI. I can't regrow the hair unfortunately. I may or may not gain the same level of fitness - will see how it goes after the diet finished and I can get on the elliptical cross trainer I brought home last week. I had a six-pack up till I was 44~46 and quit commercial diving. Whether I can get there now at 60 is another thing. Won't stop me from trying. Smoking is gone. Weight is gone. Total transformation in less the 4 years? Why not! :cool:

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 27 Apr 2008 9:34 pm

KerryL26 wrote:Hey Ozchick don't forget your cousins..ANZAC Day,Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.
My thoughts go out today to our brave RSM and to all the men that fought on gallipoli and the families that lost loved ones there including the Brits and the turkish.

From a Kiwichick

If we are to teach real peace in this world and if we are to carry on a real war against war,we shall have to begin with the children.
Mahatma Ghandi

I am SO sorry ! Can't belive that I overlooked this aspect of Anzac Day ! Jeesh it's not your fault that you guys in the other side of the Tasman say that rude word imstead of 'six' !!! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 27 Apr 2008 9:38 pm

Saint wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The wife finally convinced you? Or you just found it too expensive flying back & forth what with the cost of surcharges! Good reason actually.

If it is you, congratulations.

Yep it's me :D God knows how I got it considering both of us aren't currently living/working in Singapore! Haven't even had to go to the ICA Building yet!

Thank God ! (No not YOU saint- again)...have no gripes with YOU- yet ! :wink:

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 27 Apr 2008 9:51 pm

quidsin wrote:Here you go then Ozchick...

Why do the locals doing the same job as me (in a Bank) get paid half what I get paid?

Why are the majority of senior management caucasian?

Well 'quidsin'....I gotta say......it's an underdiscussed matter ...and I'm damned if I find the situation you describe as anywhere near alright. There's a similar situation at my workplace. I'm seriously almost reduced to tears at times when I witness this aspect of life here. They are treated like 2nd class citizens ....It really hit home when a huge Christmas dinner was put on for all the employees EXCEPT the local staff. And some of these local people are the most decent, reliable colleagues a person could wish for. I took my laptop to the Christmas dinner and sent them an email to say I was missing them and that I was appalled by the situation. I think they appreciate this...and I couldn't leave it unsaid or pretend it wasn't happening.......
It's cringeworthy stuff....no doubt about it...

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 28 Apr 2008 5:43 pm

SMS: I had a six-pack up till I was 44~46 and quit commercial diving.

Yes! I bet all divers carried 6 packs at that age, what's your favourite tipple? :wink: Anyways 60 is not old, you still have time to tune up those muscles a little, make you feel 20 again, another lease of life!

I tippled 2 beers last night, first time since New Year, it was nice, but moderated by a new me, which I must say isn't easy, when cans are still in the fridge. :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:45 pm

My favourite tipple?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:56 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:My favourite tipple?

I love that stuff too, like nectar, although my old liver says, only when i bump into old friends, can Jack and me, reunite again, that's why i moved has far a way as possible.
Last edited by ksl on Tue, 29 Apr 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trinity511

Postby trinity511 » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 9:10 am

Ozchic said
I took my laptop to the Christmas dinner and sent them an email to say I was missing them and that I was appalled by the situation. I think they appreciate this...and I couldn't leave it unsaid or pretend it wasn't happening.......
It's cringeworthy stuff....no doubt about it...[/quote]

Cringeworthy and yet you still went to the dinner and rubbed your colleagues noses in it by emailing them while there.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 9:40 pm

trinity511 wrote:Ozchic said
I took my laptop to the Christmas dinner and sent them an email to say I was missing them and that I was appalled by the situation. I think they appreciate this...and I couldn't leave it unsaid or pretend it wasn't happening.......
It's cringeworthy stuff....no doubt about it...

Cringeworthy and yet you still went to the dinner and rubbed your colleagues noses in it by emailing them while there.[/quote]

Nah they all had their 'do' as well, at the same time. But it's just NOT the same. It's the segregation thing that's just so entirely unwarranted. As for going to the Christmas dinner, it's made very clear to us that these functions aren't optional.

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Loops » Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:59 pm

quidsin wrote:Here you go then Ozchick...

Why do the locals doing the same job as me (in a Bank) get paid half what I get paid?

Why are the majority of senior management caucasian?

oooh, not sure about that one - 1. because they don't know what you get paid? If they did perhaps they'd go into the office and demand a rise.

2. is it a European bank? [/quote]

trinity511

Postby trinity511 » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 8:42 am

Well that fell a bit flat, was hoping for a little more bite out of Ozchick ha ha. Your right about the segragation thing tho. How are you supposed to have better unity within the work place or anywhere else if this sort of thing keeps happening. The same thing happens all over the world. I was invited to a fucntion by one of the companies that used to supply me with concrete in NZ, only to find out that the people I wanted to drink and socialize with were not allowed to attend. After a number of us contractors complained they were allowed to attend but stayed away on principle as did I.