Singapore Expats Forum

Giving up job to be stay- home mummy?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

puzzled

Giving up job to be stay- home mummy?

Postby puzzled » Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:48 am

Hi everyone,

I will like to hear your inputs on this one. Will you give up a high paying job to be a stay home mum looking after your baby ?

rika

The choice is yours

Postby rika » Wed, 24 Dec 2003 5:59 pm

Hi
Think it is all depend on what you are looking for in life. Do you want to miss the time when your baby is growing?Or you want to serve the company which may or may not promise you forever high pay

If you wish to have income and also a comfortable pay, why not try to do some freelance job like giving tuitions, make home-made lunch box for offices, and etc. Use what ever skills you have to establish a home based business at low cost but flexible time. Just calculate the base yourself. If you can make SGD30 an hour for 30 days. How much you would get in a month?It is HIGH PAY job as well!

suetanw

You never knw what you dont knw

Postby suetanw » Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:37 pm

Giving up your job for your kid is a never easy decision. However if you weigh both scales for fulfillment i believe that makes it a very easy choice.

t.agnes

I am a happy stay-home mummy!

Postby t.agnes » Fri, 30 Apr 2004 3:18 am

I have tired to be a stay-home mummy while being pregnant last year, so that I could partly have enough rest and also to spend more time with my elder daughter. After the birth of my 2nd girl, I decided to go back to work full-time, so as to have a stable income as now that with 2 girls, I thought expenses would be much higher.

However, as I started to work, its like oh no... I have to wake up very early to send the 2 girls to their respective caregivers ( i do not have the luxury of the same caregivers,so I have to send them to 2 locations) before I proceed to work. By the time we knock off, we will have to rush back to pick up the 2 girls, reaching home about 9pm, leaving me very little time to bond with my girls.

After working for half a year, I felt that that's enough, I am missing too much on my little girl. As already I have missed out on my eldest daughter's growing years. I decided to quit and stay at home.

But of course, as a career-minded woman, it is tough to imagine that you will not be having anymore income and be totally dependent on the husband. So I decided to lecture part time (which I have done since 2001) and also to run my own online business which gives me more flexible time.

Now juggling between kids and my own time to work, is simply much more fulfilling. This is the crucial stage to really bond with them and as long as they feel that they are loved and well-taken care of especially by their own mothers, they will grow up being confident and happy.

Personally, I have grown up very alone coz my mum is working all the time, and I really have no one to talk to but luckily I have great friends around. When I think back, I had really wished for my mum to be there for me, accompanying me through my growing years.....Now I am glad I am able to do that for my 2 cutie girls.

Sacrifice for now. For me $$$ is not the core importance because I believe in family harmony, peace and happiness.