Singapore Expats Forum

Your views on universities

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

In terms of recruiting degree holders...

Poll ended at Mon, 21 Jul 2008 8:48 pm

I don't mind graduates from private universities.
27%
Local university graduates is a must!
No votes
Attitude matters most.
73%

Total votes: 11

youdunsay
Regular
Regular

Your views on universities

Postby youdunsay » Tue, 22 Apr 2008 8:48 pm

Alright the poll is more for asking a recruiter's point of view. Of course everyone is free to participate, but please don't bias the results by clicking multiple times.

Yes I guess you must have read URL DELETED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES before or if you have not, it's alright. I am one of those poly students who can't get a place to local university this time round. Hence, I have decided to take up a business management degree from a private university. The degree seems a general one (management duh) but the course is actually taught by bona fide lecturers from the overseas university. So I wonder if with a degree like this, can I get into the finance sector (eg. investment or trade)? Or sales? Of course I will upgrade myself after university with those recognized finance course from those institution.

youdunsay
Regular
Regular

Postby youdunsay » Wed, 23 Apr 2008 1:07 pm

Any response? Two participants to this poll won't set any conclusion.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Apr 2008 1:48 pm

you told us not to say.

you''dun'say so we dun say anything!. :P

youdunsay
Regular
Regular

Postby youdunsay » Wed, 23 Apr 2008 2:46 pm

Lol alright. My bad..in response to those who chose the third option, may I ask if it makes a difference to you between someone who went overseas to study with someone who studied in a private university in Singapore (both degrees are the same)?

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Loops » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:24 am

If I was an employer, the degree wouldn't have as much to do with it as your whole appearance and confidence. How you project yourself and if you can maintain eye contact for more than 2 seconds!

Don't worry too much about the degree. I'm sure you will do OK with that anyway, but push yourself to be a confident person and you will stand out from all the other candidates when you start to go for job interviews.

Good luck

huatsg

Postby huatsg » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 9:12 am

youdunsay wrote:Lol alright. My bad..in response to those who chose the third option, may I ask if it makes a difference to you between someone who went overseas to study with someone who studied in a private university in Singapore (both degrees are the same)?

hmm... i think if a person's attitude is right... knowledge can be picked up 1... doesn't matter which uni...

shd give all grads a chance rite....

youdunsay
Regular
Regular

Postby youdunsay » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 9:08 pm

Thank you thank you. Thank you all. :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:48 pm

huatsg wrote:hmm... i think if a person's attitude is right... knowledge can be picked up 1... doesn't matter which uni...

Yeah but only if they learn how to write properly. :P When you write like that it just tells me that your degree was a waste of money and effort as you didn't learn anything.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:56 pm

My view; not infrequently a degree will say nothing of a persons experience which eventually becomes more relevant than what degree he/she may have. However, when people are new in the job market, employers need to know something of that persons capabilities, a degree is often the only evidence..

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:58 pm

huatsg wrote:hmm... i think if a person's attitude is right... knowledge can be picked up 1... doesn't matter which uni...

Yeah but only if they learn how to write properly. :P When you write like that it just tells me that your degree was a waste of money and effort as you didn't learn anything.