Singapore Expats Forum

Maids in the condo pool?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

OogieBoogie
Regular
Regular
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri, 17 Apr 2009
Location: Singapore East Coast

Postby OogieBoogie » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 9:36 am

pakjohn wrote:
I fail to see your point. Let's be honest, the VAST majority of Filipinas around the world are ether maids or prostitutes . . .


That's a really hateful and racist slur, you just condemned a whole nation of people.

i second that

User avatar
Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue, 25 Oct 2005

Postby Quasimodo » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 10:41 am

pakjohn wrote:
I fail to see your point. Let's be honest, the VAST majority of Filipinas around the world are ether maids or prostitutes . . .


That's a really hateful and racist slur, you just condemned a whole nation of people.


Hateful? How so? I definitely don't hate Filipinos, why should I?

Racist? Neither, and if you wish to tell me that Filipino is a race then you are dumber than your other posts give you credit for.

Get off your PC-friggin' high horse, mate. Nothing wrong with being a maid, unless you're the arrogant prat who looks down on them.

I'm sure my 99% statement was incorrect . . . but would you care to refute that it is a vast majority?


morenangpinay wrote:
Filipinos are either maids or prostitutes.

Nope, I didn't say that.


Don't tell me that is a good thing.

I don't know if it is or not. FDWs are the main source of overseas income for the Philippines, so it must be a good thing as they would be limited to either being unemployed or beaten or cheated on by their husbands at home.


yes initially filipinos who came here were mostly maids but today, there are also professionals, engineers, doctors, nurses, teachers who are working in Singapore.

Yes, my mistake. the number of professional Filipinos working abroad is increasing. Yet the vast number are still maids and pros . . . and nurses.


The reason why we try to change that perception is because we want to show people that Filipinos are not only maids or mail order brides.

Sooo . . . there is a feeling of discomfort in being associated with being a maid?


my point is maids are not treated very well in this country. when you are mistaken for a maid, you receive the treatment as well and ofcourse, see the above reason.

Point taken. My wife is Asian (and a lawyer, so not a doemstic worker as such in the exact sense of the word) and used to be taken for a maid as we have one child with curly brown hair and brown-green eyes and the other blonde hair and blue eyes. She usually just laughed it off unless the antagonist went too far. If you let something bother you it will.


ill treatment of maids in my country????

Yes



Go to the embassy! Find out how many Filipino maids are being taken cared of there waiting for repatriation because they escaped their Maams and Sirs for being mistreated.

Yes, it is sad and the people who mistreat those under their employ should be punished for assault, not the minor charges they face.


When Flor Contemplacion was put to death, the whole nation was glued to the TV...our President even appealed on her family's behalf.

Flor Contemplacion murdered another woman and a child, she confessed to that crime and never renounced the confession. Are you saying that murder should be condoned?


You don't know how many Filipino overseas maids arrive home in coffins.

No, I don't know how many . . . but one is too many.




You present good arguments, thank you for that.

sms wrote:
high majority of the health care workers here are from the Philippines as well (both male and female nurses). A huge number of draughtspersons and technician here (actually engineers with degrees) are also in the petrochemical & pharmaceutical industries as well. Perpetuating a stereotype is not nice...


Yes, true. I had overlooked them, my apologies once again, which is odd as one of my businesses is setting up networks for Filipino care-givers to work in Australia . . . there are insufficient locals to take care of the elderly and without targeted immigration to fill this we'd be in a sorry state in that department.

Perpetuating a stereotype . . . I'm not sure it is a myth, as the majority are still in those lines of work . . . plus a lot of nurses and my 99% was obviously off the mark, but by how much?

But yes . . . a bit hamfisted, I agree. Thankfully morenangpinay has a bit of a sense of humour and a solid spine . . . unlike the holier-than-thou morons who spout their one-liners in mock indignation while they plan their next trip to Manila to sample the local specialities . . .


Hi Pakjohn!
One in the hand is worth two of something

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 12:23 pm

accepted :wink:

User avatar
Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue, 25 Oct 2005

Postby Quasimodo » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 3:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:accepted :wink:


Image
One in the hand is worth two of something

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 11:52 pm

well quasimodo that was a racial slur. dont pat yourself on the back. If you tell that infront of a whole bunch of Filipinos I can assure you you'd be condemned.

obviously you have resigned yourself into thinking VAST majority of Filipinos are prostitutes and maids and I've given you the reasons why it should not be so. no its not only the FDW its the Overseas Filipino Workers who contribute to the economy. Not just domestic workers.

Who told you that Flor Contemplacion was guilty? the government? the media? and you actually believe this is 100 percent true? journalism here isnt free its also one sided in favor of the you know..

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 12:37 am

morenangpinay wrote:Who told you that Flor Contemplacion was guilty? the government? the media? and you actually believe this is 100 percent true? journalism here isnt free its also one sided in favor of the you know..


There is little doubt if any that Flor Contemplacion was guilty. Ms Contemplacion was in prison for some 4 years prior to her execution yet never contested the charges as already mentioned. Rather ironic that The Philippines itself has the death penalty don't you think? See following article;

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/flor.html

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 1:43 am

Plavt wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:Who told you that Flor Contemplacion was guilty? the government? the media? and you actually believe this is 100 percent true? journalism here isnt free its also one sided in favor of the you know..


There is little doubt if any that Flor Contemplacion was guilty. Ms Contemplacion was in prison for some 4 years prior to her execution yet never contested the charges as already mentioned. Rather ironic that The Philippines itself has the death penalty don't you think? See following article;

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/flor.html


yes we do have death penalty although it is rarely used due to the influence of Catholic churches.Singapore will not risk another Flor Contemplacion anymore. it affected the trade relations.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 2:06 am

morenangpinay wrote:Singapore will not risk another Flor Contemplacion anymore. it affected the trade relations.



:? :?
I don't know what you mean by this, I doubt trade relations have much to do with the judiciary's application of the law.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 2:23 am

Plavt wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:Singapore will not risk another Flor Contemplacion anymore. it affected the trade relations.



:? :?
I don't know what you mean by this, I doubt trade relations have much to do with the judiciary's application of the law.


here you go:
Pres. Ramos recalled Philippine ambassador to Singapore Alicia Ramos and suspended diplomatic relations with Singapore. Diplomatic relations between the two countries would only normalize after a meeting between Ramos and Goh during the 50th anniversary of the United Nations (UN) in New York

Because this was a national issue it has a big impact.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 7:19 am

I'd do a little deeper research into the facts before I went spouting off how it affected trade relations. The biggest export trade with Singapore I believe is the labour market. Where does the Philippines sit on the list as to the quantum of trade and the rest of Singapore's trading partners? Is it really enough to make any difference? I guess it's debatable only. As by percentage I don't think it's all that high once you removed the human trade factor.

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Postby jpatokal » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 1:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'd do a little deeper research into the facts before I went spouting off how it affected trade relations. The biggest export trade with Singapore I believe is the labour market. Where does the Philippines sit on the list as to the quantum of trade and the rest of Singapore's trading partners? Is it really enough to make any difference? I guess it's debatable only. As by percentage I don't think it's all that high once you removed the human trade factor.

I believe the point here was that the Flor Contemplacion case became so politicized that, in the end, for both sides it was much more about national pride etc than the facts of the case. Compare Michael Fay, Schapelle Corby, etc. And the reverse case of the US Marine being convicted for rape in the Phils, and the "victim" eventually admitting that she consented: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/2 ... 90454.html
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

vink
Regular
Regular
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat, 23 Sep 2006
Contact:

Postby vink » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 4:53 pm

Everytime a filipino OFW gets jailed or convicted to be hanged in another country, it will always be politicized in the Philippines. And the politicians will always do what they can to appease the public in order to get more votes come election time. Regardless if the convicted OFW is guilty or not.

If Flor was really guilty, it's just right that she got hanged. The Philippines does have the death penalty. However, this seldom gets applied. There would be a lot of years where appeals would be filed, and in the end the death penalty usually is not applied. I believe this is also the reason why heinous crimes has been on the rise in recent years.

vink
Regular
Regular
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat, 23 Sep 2006
Contact:

Postby vink » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 5:05 pm

Regarding the case of the American marine raping a filipina. No one really knows if it was true or not. Just because she retracted her statement doesn't mean that it was consensual. I read that she is now living in the states comfortably. Moving to the states could be something that was given to her in exchange for her retraction. Or maybe not. No one really knows. Many would like to believe that it was consensual just because of the reputation of some of the filipinas.

I'm guessing the trade between the Philippines and Singapore is almost non-existent. It will definitely have more of a dent in the economy of the Philippines compared to how it will affect the economy of Singapore. And during the time of the Flor Contemplacion case, there still weren't that much OFW in Singapore. At least if you compare it to the current number of OFW here.

roslan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun, 25 Jan 2009
Location: sg

Postby roslan » Sun, 07 Jun 2009 10:49 pm

markhed wrote:Jaywalking is a nightmare on orchard I agree, but there is a difference between skipping in and out of cars on a busy street and walking across an empty road at 7am...

how sure are u tat there will be no veh ard 7am when u jaywalk?can u be sure tat there are no sleepyheads or drunkards driving on the road?whom suddenly appeared out of nowher?hit and run you.if the authorities did something there must be a rational behind it.others living here also get summons for jaywalking if ure unlucky to be caught.how many fatal road accidents happened because of human carelessness and cant be bothered attitude...simply said if none of the foreigners here agree with the law or rules here,just dont be here.thats it.no one forced u all to stay here if u dunt like.to each his own
live life the fullest

roslan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun, 25 Jan 2009
Location: sg

Postby roslan » Sun, 07 Jun 2009 11:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Many many years ago I was the night manager for a Holiday Inn on the east coast of the United States just after returning from the NAM in '68 - ironically I was also going to school during the days as well. During that time I lived on the premises and yes, I was allowed to use all the facilities of the Holiday Inn including the pools and any other facilities. I don't know if this was a policy in those days or if my position there had something to do with it (I was actually the night manager and auditor - which is not as grand as it is first though to be). So it may well be a case by case basis.

to sundaymorning staple:
i sincerely think u are the most active moderator in the forum or should i compare u to other forums that i joined.regardless of fishing forum or car forum etc.....all i can say is a moderator should not pour oil on the fire and make matters worse.yup u wanted pple to knw ur past but can those rules u lived in the past be practiced right now?i meant in present and future.can all the rules be applied same prior to all the places and countries u went to?or u lived in the oil rig too long tho?pple earn their respect not go ard earning their respect frm others.ya rite moderator sir uve been to NAM to fought the war.but do u win the war?how many innocent life died during ur invasion?wat is ur purpose of sacrificing ur life in that war?do pple in NAM owe u a living?as a moderator and someone whom was not born here or dont hold a pink ic,i would rather u keep ur comments low profile and not making matters worst.like i said earlier...to each his own..
no hard feelings mate.i am here also to express my opinions..i m just a normal human being whom lead a normal life whom only help others whom needs help and cant help expressing myself
live life the fullest


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests