Singapore Expats Forum

Maids in the condo pool?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed, 14 Mar 2007
Contact:

Postby Jeppo » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 10:40 am

pakjohn wrote:I'm mixed on this one, I'd like to see the helpers have full use of the facilities but I can see a point. When my son was in college he also worked at a very famous golf club in Augusta, Ga. He wasn't allowed to use the pool, the golf course, or even buy coffee from the coffee shop. (But, working there was part of a scholarship he was awarded for college.)


It's a bit different though, isn't it? Was he living in the golf club for 2+ years (ie. was it his home? in a foreign country?)? Was he responsible for the care/safety and upbringing of his employers children? Isn't it more accurate to compare apples with apples and not turkey subs?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34258
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 10:40 am

Pakjohn, therein lies the crux of the problem. And the reason I'm all for allowing them usage of the pool, gym or other facilities which I stated in my earlier post.

Was your son required to live at the gold club in Augusta? Probably not.

The maids here, just like us working on the oil companies oil rigs, are hired service personnel and are required to live on site for the duration of our jobs. In the Drilling Industry we are given usage of all facilities while on site. We cannot leave the premises and are on duty 24/7 much the same as a maid is. (Before somebody comes up with the argument of a different employer vrs owner of the facilities, most oil companies do not own the oil drilling rigs either but hire the rig themselves. Why are we therefore expected to be treated differently? The quantum of salary we make? Or the fact that most tend to look down on the maid as a second class citizen (an a number of them have university degrees as well). These people are doing the same thing we are doing, trying to earn a living as best they know how. Should they be penalized because others don't see them as human beings? That's not directed at you. It's me going off on a personal rant only! :wink:

User avatar
pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon, 29 Sep 2008
Location: Jamaica

Postby pakjohn » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 11:49 am

Was your son required to live at the gold club in Augusta? Probably not.


Actually he was... but I understand your point, no offense taken. Not the Gold Club, it's the Augusta National Club. Not sure I know the Gold club.

That's why I said I'm conflicted and said I think they should be allowed to use the facilities. The unfortunate part is it's hard to find middle ground.
In my apartment in Indo the maids weren't allowed to use the lifts, they had one service lift they were allowed to use. Crazy
Pakjohn

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34258
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 11:54 am

:oops!: spelling error. I figured it was the Augusta National. It was a spelling error (should have been golf not gold).

User avatar
pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon, 29 Sep 2008
Location: Jamaica

Postby pakjohn » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 11:59 am

It's a bit different though, isn't it? Was he living in the golf club for 2+ years (ie. was it his home? in a foreign country?)? Was he responsible for the care/safety and upbringing of his employers children? Isn't it more accurate to compare apples with apples and not turkey subs?


okay,okay... don't ignore the part where I voted for letting them have full access?
He lived there full time for 3 years while attending school full time and working nights and weekends for very little pay.

Please remember, I'm not an advocate of restricting access? But sometimes to improve a situation you have to understand both sides.
Pakjohn

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005
Location: Nassim hill

Postby QRM » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 12:08 pm

curious to know are hotel staff and their family who live full time in the hotel allowed to use all the facilities?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34258
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 12:49 pm

Many many years ago I was the night manager for a Holiday Inn on the east coast of the United States just after returning from the NAM in '68 - ironically I was also going to school during the days as well. During that time I lived on the premises and yes, I was allowed to use all the facilities of the Holiday Inn including the pools and any other facilities. I don't know if this was a policy in those days or if my position there had something to do with it (I was actually the night manager and auditor - which is not as grand as it is first though to be). So it may well be a case by case basis.

User avatar
Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue, 25 Oct 2005

Postby Quasimodo » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 4:54 pm

morenangpinay wrote:I am a Filipina and although I am not a maid, I have been mistaken for one by locals alot of times. A local shop owner even followed me around once while I was shopping in her store...and taxi drivers usually tell me "its nice of your Mam to give you a day off"

that sums up my whole feeling for this topic... most of you can bitch about theres nothing wrong bout the rules, but i tell you its discriminating.



You were followed around a shop by the owner once? Please say it isn't so. Bloody stupid and downright racist Singaporeans.

Amazing.

I, too, am followed around shops when I browse . . . but the owner doesn't bother, he just sends his staff to follow me around and ask me pesky questions

That's an even worse example of racism. I'm not important enough to be followed around by the boss.

I am in the Philippines about once a month for a week each time and whenever I am in Robinson Central or elsewhere I am followed around as well . . . and damned if I am lying . . . some of these girls take it to the extreme of asking me for my number and wanting to know what I'm doing that evening.

Shocking behaviour. I am appalled.
One in the hand is worth two of something

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 11:13 pm

Quasimodo wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:I am a Filipina and although I am not a maid, I have been mistaken for one by locals alot of times. A local shop owner even followed me around once while I was shopping in her store...and taxi drivers usually tell me "its nice of your Mam to give you a day off"

that sums up my whole feeling for this topic... most of you can bitch about theres nothing wrong bout the rules, but i tell you its discriminating.



You were followed around a shop by the owner once? Please say it isn't so. Bloody stupid and downright racist Singaporeans.

Amazing.

I, too, am followed around shops when I browse . . . but the owner doesn't bother, he just sends his staff to follow me around and ask me pesky questions

That's an even worse example of racism. I'm not important enough to be followed around by the boss.

I am in the Philippines about once a month for a week each time and whenever I am in Robinson Central or elsewhere I am followed around as well . . . and damned if I am lying . . . some of these girls take it to the extreme of asking me for my number and wanting to know what I'm doing that evening.

Shocking behaviour. I am appalled.


well im not the only one who had been mistaken as a maid..my friends have been mistaken as well lots of times. The first time i came here, i had a job interview for a Filipino magazine here, the first advice the Filipino publisher told me was to dress well when going out because people always mistake Filipinos as maids. so i think im not over reacting, there is an underlying perception about us.


just to add to sundaymorningstaple, some do have college degrees. Its very common for teachers in the Philippines to work as maids overseas because of the salary difference. Anyway i think maids should be treated better over here... They bring culture, tradition, and values which even without meaning to, they also teach your kids.

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 11:43 pm

morenangpinay wrote:I am a Filipina and although I am not a maid, I have been mistaken for one by locals alot of times.



:shock: Do all maids look like filipinas or all filipinas look like maids? :P

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 12:00 am

lol no. but the moment they know youre filipino they assume youre a maid. i have a long list of experience lol

User avatar
Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue, 25 Oct 2005

Postby Quasimodo » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 7:31 am

morenangpinay wrote:well im not the only one who had been mistaken as a maid..my friends have been mistaken as well lots of times.

I fail to see your point. Let's be honest, the VAST majority of Filipinas around the world are ether maids or prostitutes . . .

So, if 99 out of every 100 Filipinas one meets is a maid or prostitute then it is no surprise that you are thought of as a maid, especially if you don't have the looks of a prostitute. (Let's face it, most maids are mingers)


The first time i came here, i had a job interview for a Filipino magazine here, the first advice the Filipino publisher told me was to dress well when going out because people always mistake Filipinos as maids. so i think im not over reacting, there is an underlying perception about us.

It's not a perception, it is reality and if you don't see that you are the one with a problem.
You seem like a nice person, the way you write, your content . . . but you also seem to be a bit of a snob and holier-than-thou. Why would you have a problem being mistaken for a maid?

And before you go on about racism in Singapore, particularly vis-a-vis Filipino maids . . . you may wish to address the issue of slave labour in your home-country, the way maids or servants in general are treated there.
Do you speak out against ill treatment of servants there? If yes, then I take back what I said.


They bring culture, tradition, and values which even without meaning to, they also teach your kids.
. . . and that annoying Filipino accent . . .grating like fingernails on a blackboard.
Please explain the values that they bring? :wink:



Having said all of the above, our nanny, she is crap at cleaning so her primary function is as a nanny, is Filipino. She is lovely and smart and hard-working . . .
One in the hand is worth two of something

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 8:00 am

Quasimodo wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:well im not the only one who had been mistaken as a maid..my friends have been mistaken as well lots of times.

I fail to see your point. Let's be honest, the VAST majority of Filipinas around the world are ether maids or prostitutes . . .

So, if 99 out of every 100 Filipinas one meets is a maid or prostitute then it is no surprise that you are thought of as a maid, especially if you don't have the looks of a prostitute. (Let's face it, most maids are mingers)


The first time i came here, i had a job interview for a Filipino magazine here, the first advice the Filipino publisher told me was to dress well when going out because people always mistake Filipinos as maids. so i think im not over reacting, there is an underlying perception about us.

It's not a perception, it is reality and if you don't see that you are the one with a problem.
You seem like a nice person, the way you write, your content . . . but you also seem to be a bit of a snob and holier-than-thou. Why would you have a problem being mistaken for a maid?

And before you go on about racism in Singapore, particularly vis-a-vis Filipino maids . . . you may wish to address the issue of slave labour in your home-country, the way maids or servants in general are treated there.
Do you speak out against ill treatment of servants there? If yes, then I take back what I said.


They bring culture, tradition, and values which even without meaning to, they also teach your kids.
. . . and that annoying Filipino accent . . .grating like fingernails on a blackboard.
Please explain the values that they bring? :wink:



Having said all of the above, our nanny, she is crap at cleaning so her primary function is as a nanny, is Filipino. She is lovely and smart and hard-working . . .



you fail to see my point eh.. lol read what you just said. Filipinos are either maids or prostitutes. Don't tell me that is a good thing. yes initially filipinos who came here were mostly maids but today, there are also professionals, engineers, doctors, nurses, teachers who are working in Singapore. The reason why we try to change that perception is because we want to show people that Filipinos are not only maids or mail order brides.

I'm not a snob or holier than thou when I say I dont want to be mistaken for a maid. I have no problem with maids but my point is maids are not treated very well in this country. when you are mistaken for a maid, you receive the treatment as well and ofcourse, see the above reason.


ill treatment of maids in my country???? lol you need to find something else to throw at me. i CANT say that all maids in the Philippines are treated well but from my observation, most maids are treated better over there than over here or in Hong Kong.Maids in the Philippines are treated as family members, we eat together, they are allowed to have visitors, they have day offs, they have Christmas vacations.

Go to the embassy! Find out how many Filipino maids are being taken cared of there waiting for repatriation because they escaped their Maams and Sirs for being mistreated. When Flor Contemplacion was put to death, the whole nation was glued to the TV...our President even appealed on her family's behalf.

You don't know how many Filipino overseas maids arrive home in coffins.

User avatar
pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon, 29 Sep 2008
Location: Jamaica

Postby pakjohn » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 8:32 am

I fail to see your point. Let's be honest, the VAST majority of Filipinas around the world are ether maids or prostitutes . . .


That's a really hateful and racist slur, you just condemned a whole nation of people.
Pakjohn

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34258
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 9:33 am

Yeah, this is one time I'd have admit you probably overstepped it a bit Quasi... Hope you don't have to ever go into a Local hospital, be they gov't or private and let one of the nurses know how you feel seeing that a high majority of the health care workers here are from the Philippines as well (both male and female nurses). A huge number of draughtspersons and technician here (actually engineers with degrees) are also in the petrochemical & pharmaceutical industries as well. Perpetuating a stereotype is not nice.... [-X

:wink:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests