Singapore Expats Forum

Maids in the condo pool?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 5:32 pm

Turtle wrote:Sure, I mean there's nothing really wrong with not clearing your tray, it's just different and that's fine. My problem is with people (and there are a lot of them here, or at least obvious ones) who don't do certain things because it is not befitting of their self-appointed stature in life. There's always an undertone of I make more money than them so therefore I am better than them so therefore they should do my bidding.

The trouble is, that's conjecture on your part. It certainly seems that way, to be sure -- but we have to be careful with assumptions. I remember moving here and being mystified by the lack of personal space afforded to strangers, it seemed so very rude. But in most cases, I don't believe there is an active desire to be rude -- it's purely cultural. There is a more defined social strata here than in the US or Canada, I'll give you that.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 8:03 pm

So, turtle, you are saying that someone like Donald Trump can act like a pompous ass, so, you are the arbiter of who can and who cannot do certain things.

A bit pompous, aren't you? :)
- Thank God for Darwin -

Turtle
Regular
Regular

Postby Turtle » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 8:38 pm

cutiebutie wrote:So, turtle, you are saying that someone like Donald Trump can act like a pompous ass, so, you are the arbiter of who can and who cannot do certain things.

A bit pompous, aren't you? :)

Obviously not, because if I were the arbiter then people would be clearing their trays. :wink:

In my personal opinion that I recognise holds little to no weight outside of my body, I would be less put off it was Donald Trump doing it. Maybe because I'd expect it of him (he does have that reputation) and therefore not be surprised, or maybe because I feel that he, or Bill Clinton, or The Queen, or whoever else, has to some degree earned the right not to be judged by how they behave at a fast food restaurant. I'm in no way claiming to be The Final Word, don't worry. :)

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Thu, 01 May 2008 7:43 pm

Very sad priorities. Ever heard of 'noblesse oblige' (can't do the accents)?
- Thank God for Darwin -

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 04 May 2008 12:25 pm

Clearing trays has nothing to do with it, we all pay the price for junk food, and these companies, try all ways, to cut costs even further, if they can get the customers to clean up for them, it saves employing someone or less people to clean the table tops. It's all about profits and not really being helpful. It's called pyschologically playing on ones concience, if they can reduce the work level, it saves costs.

The same goes with service stations, they say otherwise we would have to put the price up, if we have to employ someone to fill cars, and there they really should supply the service, especially if you have your sunday best on, and you don't wish to end up smelling of petrol.

vicandpat

Maids in the condo pool

Postby vicandpat » Fri, 29 May 2009 11:20 am

Hi, this was a very old discussion thread, but I was looking for a place my maid can swim or have lessons on her off days... maids are not allowed in the pool in my condo either, but I just had to put in my 2 cents after seeing the discussion...
I am really put off by the westerners who come here and get off on feeling so humanitarian by criticizing the way of life here. Expats really want their maids to love them, and to be well thought of by doing this human rights rhetoric.
I'm from the US, I'm a democrat, a bleeding heart liberal, and cry at tearjerker commercials. I always treat all with complete respect, including my helper. (sometimes that means dishing back some sh--t, too, if that's what I get)
But I think there is a maid system going on here in Sing. and it allows us to have them: and I think they are at the condo to work. I do not think contractors or maintenance people or security guards really have a place swimming around at the pool and kicking back.
Personally I would love to have my helper in the pool with my toddler, and I don't think helpers should be shouted at if they are in for a good reason.
But to have all these feel good messages about discrimination and human rights is JUST ABSURD. If it bothers you buy a place in Aruba, US or Canada.
Maids don't pay a penny for rent, this is not their vacation home. If there is a pressing reason to have your maid in, update your own contract, or write a respectful letter to management, or move. No I don't think it's discriminatory, these are not public pools, and the maids don't pay for it.

Now having said this, does anyone know a place I can have my maid have swim lessons or splashing around time on her off day?

kennietengs

Postby kennietengs » Fri, 29 May 2009 2:07 pm

I think it's pure bulls**t. Why? Are maids dirtier?

Give them a break! :x

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Fri, 29 May 2009 3:40 pm

Our club will not allow "expat" as in white tennis coaches etc to use the pool or the tennis facilities unless its for coaching purpose only. Its a job, same principle, nothing to do with whether he is clean or not in fact I would go so far as to say he seems cleaner than some of the members but he is still not allowed to swim.

His kid gets on well with mine, and we cant even sign him or the kid in as a guest. Which to be honest seem fair enough.

The same rule applies in condos, if we write to the management stating why the maid should swim then if its reasonable ie, parent don't know how to swim and helper looks after the kid then fair enough.

To just to let staff free run of the club or condo is taking the piss. Next it will be all the driver and security guards popping in for a dip, bottom line its the word "staff" I am sure if there's a maid who has done well and bought a condo she will off course be allowed to swim without applying for permission.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 May 2009 10:58 pm

Well, here I am again, the thorn amongst the roses....

Domestic help are in a slightly different situation that the rest of the "drivers and security guards" in as much as the maid is required by law (unless a local maid) to live at the premises. So, if the complex does not allow the maid to swim in the pool, are you, as the employer going to let her go out to use the public pools every evening if she would like to swim as a form of exercise? Or is exercise an activity that is only available to some? When out on a oil rig working for that oil company, the company hires us and we are forced to live in the quarters provided by the employer. We also use all the same facilities as the employees of the oil company. Should be not be allowed to use those facilities as we are only service personnel even though we live there for two months at a time?

:???:

mulatto
Regular
Regular

or get a ang moh maid

Postby mulatto » Sat, 30 May 2009 9:29 am

durain wrote:or get a ang moh maid. :P

oooohhh...ang moh maids in french gothic dresses *drool*

i noticed this "social hierarchy" common to most former-colonial-nations. it's like maids are second class citizens...

Dealer
Regular
Regular

Re: or get a ang moh maid

Postby Dealer » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 11:54 am

mulatto wrote:
durain wrote:or get a ang moh maid. :P

oooohhh...ang moh maids in french gothic dresses *drool*

Dirty boy! :o

mulatto wrote:it's like maids are second class citizens...

It's how they are treated here, I am not saying that it is right but what the hell it makes Singapore work! :roll: Or so I am told.............

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Nath21 » Tue, 02 Jun 2009 11:52 am

The arguement about drivers and security guards being the same as maids is silly. Maids are responsible for looking after the children as simple as that their duties could require them to get into the pool. If the kids are in the pool the maid should be allowed in. How is she menat to save them if they are drowning and watching htem from the sidelines aint good enough if they are young.

If she is there sucking on a cold one whilst moonlighting with the construction worker from next door sure she shouldnt be allowed.

Vivigirl

Postby Vivigirl » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:44 pm

I'm local and I didn't know such a thing existed. Although I don't notice maids in the pool but I'm surprised that there's such a rule.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 8:06 am

I am a Filipina and although I am not a maid, I have been mistaken for one by locals alot of times. A local shop owner even followed me around once while I was shopping in her store...
that sums up my whole feeling for this topic... most of you can bitch about theres nothing wrong bout the rules, but i tell you its discriminating.
Last edited by morenangpinay on Fri, 05 Jun 2009 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 9:10 am

I'm mixed on this one, I'd like to see the helpers have full use of the facilities but I can see a point. When my son was in college he also worked at a very famous golf club in Augusta, Ga. He wasn't allowed to use the pool, the golf course, or even buy coffee from the coffee shop. (But, working there was part of a scholarship he was awarded for college.)

My conflict is the loyalty I'd feel toward a trusted employee and knowing it's a common practice, even in the U.S., to exclude employees from facilities. If we had a full time live in helper I'd work it out with her, even if it meant getting her a membership at a local public fitness/rec center.
Pakjohn