Singapore Expats Forum

Maids in the condo pool?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Wed, 16 Apr 2008 6:01 am

Either on this or another Singapore expat forum, there was a thread on "Only in Singapore".

This is a classic example: Maids not allowed in the pool.

The world upside down: Only in Singapore you find moron security guards, earning as little as 500 S$ per month, telling Fillippina / Indonesian maids, earning 500 S$ per month, they CANNOT swim there lah!!!

If it weren't sad, it would be the ultimate stupidity.

Bomb the country, wipe it off the earth, a human disgrace this little red dot.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Wed, 16 Apr 2008 8:45 am

ksl wrote:I was under the impression "The Sedition Act" which is law, covers circumstance like the one of foreign race being in swimming pools...irrelevance of social position or occupation.

I don't have the Seditition Act although this blog shines a little light.
http://singasingapore.blogspot.com/2005 ... n-act.html

If you want a copy of the acts, you can get them at
http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:32 pm

Jeppo wrote:
ksl wrote:I was under the impression "The Sedition Act" which is law, covers circumstance like the one of foreign race being in swimming pools...irrelevance of social position or occupation.

I don't have the Seditition Act although this blog shines a little light.
http://singasingapore.blogspot.com/2005 ... n-act.html

If you want a copy of the acts, you can get them at
http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/
Thanks!

Well it looks to me, like it could be applied, although that is entirely up to the law lords, and whoever wants to test it!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Apr 2008 3:35 pm

ksl, I had a read of it as well. Doesn't seem like it would apply at all in any way shape or form. Unless there is something written on the bottom of the pool and being distributed to maids when they jump into the pool. It would seem the basis of the whole sedition act is built around various media based propaganda and not too much else.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 16 Apr 2008 8:45 pm

Superglide wrote:Either on this or another Singapore expat forum, there was a thread on "Only in Singapore".

This is a classic example: Maids not allowed in the pool.

The world upside down: Only in Singapore you find moron security guards, earning as little as 500 S$ per month, telling Fillippina / Indonesian maids, earning 500 S$ per month, they CANNOT swim there lah!!!

If it weren't sad, it would be the ultimate stupidity.

Bomb the country, wipe it off the earth, a human disgrace this little red dot.

Good topic this one. 'Bout time we had something meaty on here. WIMH would have something wonderful to say..where IS she ? I miss her.
And as for you Dutch boy- jeezaloo can't you be constructive?
One minute you're bashing up other motorists and the next you're wishing to obliterate Singapore ! Is violence the only response you have ?
Sigh...... :(
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

markhed
Regular
Regular

Postby markhed » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 9:25 am

The "only in Singapore" was me. Got busted for jaywalking at 7am on a desterted street near Bugis MRT.

I have the summons framed in my office :D

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:58 am

Sorry Markhed,

As someone who regularly has to dodge the inconsiderate, idiot, feet-shuffling jaywalkers on Orchard Road, I say: yeah! =D>

Get in a crosswalk, or get off the damn road.

As far as maids in pools go, this is not a Singaporean phenomenon. When I worked as a domestic helper, I was not allowed the same privileges or access as the people I lived with and worked for. The discrimination may not have been as obvious, but it was still there. These rules are there to ensure the people paying the rent are satisfied. Personally, I wouldn't want any domestic help in the condo swimming pool I'm paying $20K to lease. Not gardeners, not drivers, not anybody. Does that make me snobbish, elitist? Maybe, but at least I'm honest. The enjoyment of a communal pool is directly related to how noisy and crowded it is, by limiting the people who can you use it, you help ensure it is enjoyable for the paying tenants.

Our maid has never put one toe in our pool, even though she knows she can. She's just not a swimmer. I don't know anyone who has a house with a pool and a maid who likes to swim. Many maids are terrified of water and can not swim, I think for some condos its a liability issue. It's simple really, if you don't like the policy you agreed to in your lease, work to affect a positive change or move to a private house with a pool.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 1:34 pm

Snobbish maybe elitist, in your dreams! But dreaming is okay! :lol: You are not the only one paying 20K.....So I would say you suffer from bigotry more than snobbishness or elitism :roll: So i can imagine you would be really pissed off, if others have guests, that's basically what you are trying to say....Although its okay for yourself, although I do agree if it is stated in the condo Rules, that maids are not allowed in the pools, that is fine!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 2:24 pm

Where do you draw the line after maids, drivers, personal trainers etc. all going for a swim, and why stop at swimming, in theory they can all get together have a huge BBQ and book the already popular tennis court.

The last condo allowed FDW the use of the pool, if the employers inform the management office.

Recently a visiting family arrived here for a week ( I can only assume they are the relatives of a resident here),

They swam with huge floating canoes etc. in the pool, kept gargling up huge Shanghai oysters and spiting them into the bushes. While swimming they work up huge greenies and with amazing skill, hold one nostril and shoot the globule into the pool overflow trough. The mother holds a small girl with her pants around her knees and lets her pee onto the pebble garden.

Different background and understanding of etiquettes, is where the problem lies.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 3:51 pm

ksl wrote:So I would say you suffer from bigotry more than snobbishness or elitism

Since I made no mention of race, creed or religious affiliation -- then bigotry would definitely not apply.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 4:01 pm

QRM wrote:...
They swam with huge floating canoes etc. in the pool, kept gargling up huge Shanghai oysters and spiting them into the bushes. While swimming they work up huge greenies and with amazing skill, hold one nostril and shoot the globule into the pool overflow trough. The mother holds a small girl with her pants around her knees and lets her pee onto the pebble garden. ...

Amazingly elegant and detailed description, QRM. That's my laugh for the month :lol: . Well done!!!

And sorry you had to endure that.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 4:23 pm

Guests of a resident or not, the behavior you mentioned was not acceptable.
Sounds more like they were pigs, and that's an insult to the real animals!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 8:50 pm

road.not.taken wrote:
ksl wrote:So I would say you suffer from bigotry more than snobbishness or elitism

Since I made no mention of race, creed or religious affiliation -- then bigotry would definitely not apply.

whoa, have to get up pretty early in the morning to catch you out :o

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 9:04 pm

It would be in this instance an act of sedition against Singapore government, to actually tell maids or any other foreign national to get out of the pool, because of their social standing...this is a direct, provocation of racial disharmony.

Oh, bullshit. It's not a question of having a sign at the pool that says "No Dogs or Darkies Allowed" -- it's just that the maids are, legally, not residents. Any Filipino, Indonesian, Sri Lankan etc who pays the rent is welcome to use the pool.

Anyway, the full text of the Sedition Act is here:
http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_version/ ... =part&sl=1

Note that it doesn't say anywhere that discrimination is not allowed, it just bans actions that "promote feelings of ill-will and hostility between different races or classes of the population of Singapore".
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 9:08 pm

Actually Jeppo posted the link yesterday at lunchtime.