Singapore Expats Forum

Transfer or Repatriate maid?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

bee72

Transfer or Repatriate maid?

Postby bee72 » Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:16 am

Hi all, I need advice on maid problems. I have a 3+year old daughter. She goes to nursery for half a day and my maid looks after her in the afternoon. My daughter naps for 1-2 hours in the afternoon. There is only 3 of us (me, hubby and daughter) so my maid doesn't have a lot to do and she is pretty free. Anyway, she was the maid from heaven during the 1st few weeks and not bad overall in the 1st 3 months. I increased her salary but then her performance deteriorated big time. She's the type who likes to sweep the dust under the carpet and was becoming very impatient with my child. I caught her lying a few times and she is quite cunning, sneaky and very forgetful indeed.
She has been with us since September 2007. She is asking for transfer (10/4/08) now because she told me she cannot handle my 3+ year old daughter. My daugther is not hyper but a normal kid btw. I was also going to give her notice because of this matter but she resigned before I could tell her. I did inform the agent prior to her resignation of my intentions.
I was even nice enough to write her a recommendation letter and submit to her agent.
I mean she will not harm my daughter but accidents can happen due to split second neglect like chatting to another maid etc. I mean my maid loves to TALK!. This has happened before in the playground. And she has also forgot to lock the windows leaving my kid in the bedroom or living room for few minutes!
Anyway now I will agree to her transfer if the agent finds her a suitable employer i.e. if the employers have babies/toddlers then there must be some adult supervision. Since she told me she can't handle my child, i feel responsible to agree to a transfer if I am certain of the safety of future employer's children. I know my maid will not intentionally harm the children but might be unintentional due to negligence. The agent however thinks it ridiculous since I am limiting the maid's chances...even snigger at it! I told the agent then it is my right to terminate her work permit and repatriate her if this request is not followed. The agent threatened me that the maid can complain to MoM because I am not giving her a chance to look for work. I did remind the agent that I am allowing the maid to look for work but with conditions and I also supplied a recommendation letter. My maid have worked for a previous employer with 3 toddlers but they were under the supervision of their grandmother and grandfather. I feel my maid needs adult supervision when handling children after staying with us.
The contract with the agent states that both parties should give 30 days notice to terminate the contract. Since it is the maid who is giving me notice, I told her that she doesn't have to give me 30 days.
I just wrote to MoM to get some advice on this. I know a lot people just send the maid back directly but I am not sure of this. This agent seems to be more interested in earning money than to think of the wellbeing of prospective employers. Not sure if I should mention the agency's name here.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Tue, 15 Apr 2008 6:40 pm

Let her transfer.

Sending her back is the same as punishing her and would not solve any concerns you have as she can trun around and come straight back. All you will do is cause her hardship terms of money and lost wages.
Be Like Water

QRM
Manager
Manager

Re: Transfer or Repatriate maid?

Postby QRM » Tue, 15 Apr 2008 9:57 pm

bee72 wrote:I was even nice enough to write her a recommendation letter and submit to her agent.

Which just goes to prove, recomendation letters are not worth the paper they are written on, the previous employer could be trying to get rid of a bad maid.

bee72

Re: Transfer or Repatriate maid?

Postby bee72 » Wed, 16 Apr 2008 2:16 pm

Nope I didn't recommend her childcare without supervision and that is what I've told the agent. Just a simple letter saying her cooking has improved and she is fairly organised. If I really wanted to send her off then I would just keep quite about the childcare. I wouldn't even write to MoM btw. Thanks anyway for the feedback.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Sat, 19 Apr 2008 8:52 pm

Ideally a nationwide database of maids should be provided. Type a name and summary of what they really are like pops up, bit like the Ebay feedback system.

Equally FDW can type in employers details and gets some feedback from previous maids, some real head cases out there.

I was looking for a flat in Hong Kong and the maids room shower doubles up as the toilet for two pet dogs.