Singapore Expats Forum

Advice Needed on LTSVP for Fiancée

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
fullcount

Advice Needed on LTSVP for Fiancée

Postby fullcount » Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:00 pm

These forums are terrific, and thanks in advance for the help. My situation in a nutshell: I am a U.S. citizen moving to Singapore in six weeks to begin a new job with my employer. My employer is arranging my work visa papers. My fiancée (also U.S. citizen) and I have been living together for several years (the engagement is relatively recent). She is planning to leave her job to accompany me. I have tried to read up but remain confused about the following:

1) Can we apply for an LTSVP before she comes to Singapore, or do we have to do so once there through the U.S. embassy? If we need to do it there, through what means does she enter the country?

2) I think that we have the proper paperwork (bills, etc.) to support her application, but does anyone know general statistics for acceptance of LTSVP based on common law marriage?

3) If her application is granted, is she restricted from out-of-country social travel with me while on the LTSVP?

4) Once we marry (likely later this year), will it be difficult to move her to a dependant visa? And finally (last one, I swear)

5) Can she secure employment in Singapore while on a LTSVP?

Thanks much for any advice.

Best,
Buck

brazil_farfromhome

Postby brazil_farfromhome » Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:11 am

Hi,

Just come to Singapore 5 months ago and had the same situation. Here we go....

1) Can we apply for an LTSVP before she comes to Singapore, or do we have to do so once there through the U.S. embassy? If we need to do it there, through what means does she enter the country?

Yes, your COMPANY should apply for her LTSVP before moving to Singapore. Note that you company will apply, not you.
She will enter singapore the same way you will, as a tourist. After that you will have to collect your visa (EP i assume) and she will colect the LTSVP.

2) I think that we have the proper paperwork (bills, etc.) to support her application, but does anyone know general statistics for acceptance of LTSVP based on common law marriage?

I'm pretty sure that if you have an EP, they will give her a LTSVP.
FYI, you will have to provide a Statutory declaration of your relationship, this could be a letter where you say for how long you've been together, that she is your common law spouse ... etc ... this should be notarized...
You gonna have to tell your company to send someone to US local embassy to get a letter from them confirming your common-law relationship.

3) If her application is granted, is she restricted from out-of-country social travel with me while on the LTSVP?

With LTSVP she can re-enter Singapore alone as many times as she wants.

4) Once we marry (likely later this year), will it be difficult to move her to a dependant visa? And finally (last one, I swear)

Dont know the answer, not thinking about this now.

Nope ... but she can always try to find a job , and if she finds an employer willing to give her a EP or any kind of working visa ... she will be fine.

Let me know if u need more info,
Cheers,

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:49 pm

Dont know the answer, not thinking about this now.

4. The dependant pass is automatic, once you marry, but basically they both run for 6 months, if you was a PR it would revert back to LTSVP until your spouse applies for PR, if that makes sense...It just procedures!

5. Yes, she can secure employment in her own right, if she qualifies for EP, otherwise the LTSVP is tied to your EP, which makes finding work, very difficult, because it will run out at the same time, as the EP, and needs to be renewed every 6 months anyway. But she could also work freelance, if she can find a company to take her on.

fullcount

thanks very much for the information

Postby fullcount » Wed, 16 Apr 2008 2:50 am

Thanks to both of you for the terrific information. I appreciate it greatly!