Singapore Expats

breastfeeding

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
kaylee

breastfeeding

Post by kaylee » Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:35 pm

i am a mother of a 10weeks old boy.
i have been total breastfeeding except when my husband stayed in the hospital for 2weeks after his operation. during the 2weeks time, my maid fed him with formula milk (2-3times max) and expressed breast milk.
and during the night time, i fed him from my breasts.

since last week, i have been trying to go back to total breastfeeding again.
but, the supply doesn't seem to catch up any more.
do you think i can do something to increase the breastmilk again, so i can go back to total breastfeeding?

1plus1

Post by 1plus1 » Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:55 pm

From my personal experience, the more frequency you feed the baby, the more supply your body will produce. Drink lots of liquid (water, soup, juice...) will also help.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:24 pm

just let the baby feed on you whenever you can. your body will produce the milk again. the human body is a wonderful thing and it's nature doing it's thing. breast milk is best, so keep your baby on it for as long as you can. :)

viajera
Regular
Regular

Post by viajera » Tue, 15 Apr 2008 8:58 am

there are teas that are recommended to increase milk production. best would be to consult a lactation consultant (contact the hospital where you gave birth). the breastfeeding mothers' support group also has a counselling helpline (6339-3558) and i think there is also a local la leche league.

hang in there. it takes a bit of patience but it is possible to get back to exclusive breastfeeding :)

PhoenixT

pumping

Post by PhoenixT » Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:24 pm

Hi there- one thing you can also try is pumping after the baby has nursed from to so that your body continues to be stimulated and hopefully will produce more milk.

For some women, Fenugreek ( a herbal supplement) works for them. Taking it in pill form instead of as a tea as it is more potent in the pill form.

Hang in there

durain
Director
Director

Re: pumping

Post by durain » Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:38 am

PhoenixT wrote:Hi there- one thing you can also try is pumping after the baby has nursed from to so that your body continues to be stimulated and hopefully will produce more milk.
i like your technique! i think the husband should be doing the pumping! :wink:

Return to “Parenting, Family & Schools”