Singapore Expats Forum

I am 40 and need a Bachelors Degree….any suggestions?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

jackson_23

I am 40 and need a Bachelors Degree….any suggestions?

Postby jackson_23 » Sun, 13 Apr 2008 2:16 am

Hey I am 40 and this is getting on my nerves …I need an Online Bachelors degree to make my life and family secure. I have been working as an electronic technician for 20 years. I have also spent 10 years as a labor representative (Union). Now I am tired of watching other’s with any kind of B. degree move ahead and not me. I do not need an Engineering degree. Just something that says B. degree on it. My company does not have a generous tuition reimbursement. I also need my degree fast…I am not getting any younger. All this is making my family worried about me. I have info about online B.degrees but need accredited ones to earn a better future. It would be pleasant of you folks if you can provide me with useful inputs. I know that there are options like PU, Ashford …but can you suggest some more to make me decide better considering the finance issue.

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Sun, 11 May 2008 8:34 am

man, you're making this too wide for people to advise you on...

how about setting up a budget first.

then think about how much REAL free time you can afford to spend on the degree.

good degrees take time and effort.

i'm sure there're degree mills out there that can satisfy your options if all you want is a piece of paper saying "B something."

otherwise, be prepared to research on what is SUITABLE for you to study (since you are fine with any discipline) - bywhich i mean, what INTERESTS you.

then look around the local papers and use google to find out what long distance options are available.

if you can afford the time, contact hours with a teaching professional is always well worth the money, compared to over the internet.

this would be how i would go about doing it. once you have a list of schools and the program you are keen on, and the above info, it may help us help you decide.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Sun, 11 May 2008 9:58 am

Easy and fast.

I don't think you can really combine the two and still get a credible degree and your frustration is making you seek the easy way out.

I understand your frustration, but your priorities and goals are not realistic.
- Thank God for Darwin -

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Mon, 12 May 2008 4:20 am

Migrate.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 12 May 2008 5:43 am

One possible solution, however, be warned it is more expensive than for UK or other European nationals. The open University in the UK was created to enable person in employment to obtain a degree without giving up their jobs.

Because of the part-time nature it takes longer than full-time University to acquire the various components that make up a degree and you have to spend a good deal of time selecting modules as not a few require attendance at summer school (you can avoid them by careful selection of modules). This is not taught on-line but assignments, projects and essays are done remotely, much like a correspondence course. Hope you find something of use.

http://www.open.ac.uk/

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Mon, 12 May 2008 9:52 am

If you are in Singapore, visit this link

www.unisim.edu.sg

In this past, this uni followed the cirriculum set by Open University UK. Now, SIM has taken over and students will be awarded degree through UniSim ( SIM University ). It followed more or less the same cirriculum and it caters to working professionals only. That means , to apply, the student must supply the company address he/she is working in. I understand not too long ago, it mentioned something like a 40% rebate on admission fees but not too sure it is still applicable.