Singapore Expats Forum

jobs for a failed mba

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

aryana
Member
Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri, 05 Jan 2007

jobs for a failed mba

Postby aryana » Sat, 12 Apr 2008 3:56 pm

my mba course is proving too difficult foir me and i have to repeat modules. the course ends in august and by then i may have to repeat about 3 modules.

my question is can i still try for a job with my undergraduate degree/?? i am an engineer and engineers are in demand in singapore i heard.

i will ofcourse have to get my student pass changed into an employment pass before i can join a company isnt it.

aryana
Member
Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri, 05 Jan 2007

Postby aryana » Sat, 12 Apr 2008 7:10 pm

please anyone ???

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: jobs for a failed mba

Postby ksl » Sat, 12 Apr 2008 9:09 pm

aryana wrote:my mba course is proving too difficult foir me and i have to repeat modules. the course ends in august and by then i may have to repeat about 3 modules.

my question is can i still try for a job with my undergraduate degree/?? i am an engineer and engineers are in demand in singapore i heard.

i will ofcourse have to get my student pass changed into an employment pass before i can join a company isnt it.


It shouldn't be a problem at all, go for it!

aryana
Member
Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri, 05 Jan 2007

Postby aryana » Sat, 12 Apr 2008 9:40 pm

thank you ksl. i suppose an EP is granted as soon as the candidate supplies proof of a job. or is it the other way round - do i have to apply for an EP first and only then can i search for a job??

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34786
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:34 pm

You cannot apply for an EP at all. Only your potential employer can do it. So you have to find a Job offer first of all. Once you have an offer, the potential employer has to do the filing for the EP. It (the EP) is tied to the employer so when/if you leave you also lose your EP as well. The new PEP will offset some of that but there are restrictions so you should read the info provided on the MOM website regarding same.

About PEP

aryana
Member
Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri, 05 Jan 2007

Postby aryana » Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:02 pm

thank you. i read about the pep. it can wait for now. i already have a job offer. will speak to the company for my EP. this must be routine procedure - any company that hires a foreigner applies for his/her EP. hopefully mine wont get rejected by the singapore government because i couldnt complete my mba.

thanks everyone. all other contributions welcome.

aryana
Member
Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri, 05 Jan 2007

Postby aryana » Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:33 pm

is there a chance of my EP getting rejected by the singapore government because i could not complete my mba degree.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34786
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:48 pm

No, provided your basic degree is a suitably recognized by the MOM it should be no problem. It's just that the MBA will not be used in the allocation of points that all.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10835
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:56 pm

aryana wrote:is there a chance of my EP getting rejected by the singapore government because i could not complete my mba degree.


Doubtful. As long as your undergrad degree is from a "qualified" institution you can always characterize your MBA work as "additional post graduate courses not leading to a degree" and attach that as supplementary information.

aryana
Member
Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri, 05 Jan 2007

Postby aryana » Sun, 13 Apr 2008 6:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:No, provided your basic degree is a suitably recognized by the MOM it should be no problem. It's just that the MBA will not be used in the allocation of points that all.
thank you, could you please explain the matter of the "points". what are they about.

aryana
Member
Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri, 05 Jan 2007

Postby aryana » Sun, 13 Apr 2008 6:34 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
aryana wrote:is there a chance of my EP getting rejected by the singapore government because i could not complete my mba degree.


Doubtful. As long as your undergrad degree is from a "qualified" institution you can always characterize your MBA work as "additional post graduate courses not leading to a degree" and attach that as supplementary information.
and i suppose the quality and pay packet of the job secured will have a bearing on the issue.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34786
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Apr 2008 7:48 pm

Mere mortals are not privy to the inner working of the Ministry of Manpower. We do know that different things are given different weights/points and all are added up to determine whether you are issued a pass or not. That and the determination of whether there are sufficient locals with suitable qualifications and experience to do the job without the need to hire a foreigner. So if you degree is a common one and you have now special skills and there are oodles of locals with the same experience and degree you would naturally have a lesser chance regardless of your education.

Having said that, The quality of the job and the amount of remuneration is rather irrelevant as long as the basic guidelines of the Work Pass being applied for is met. (The only exception may be the P1 pass which does not require a uni degree but does require a minimum salary of S$7K/mo). It is still up to the Employer to write a cock & bull story as to why a foreigner is needed instead of a local to convince them to issue one (all other requirement having been met).

aryana
Member
Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri, 05 Jan 2007

Postby aryana » Mon, 14 Apr 2008 6:15 pm

.........................
Last edited by aryana on Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests