Singapore Expats Forum

Any aussie??

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Ada232

Any aussie??

Postby Ada232 » Wed, 09 Apr 2008 12:00 am

I am from melbourne but will coming to singapore once a month for the next six month.

I been here for more than a week, I felt like an alien. I miss the warm, friendly feeling of melbourne. And I am dieing for a gd latte. They have no idea what is a weak short mac, instead they give me a flat white.

Pls tell a place with good latte. I am very tired due to the shortage of pick-me-up coffee. I miss the nice, creamy, beautiful latte.

Ada

VZTRT

Postby VZTRT » Wed, 09 Apr 2008 1:11 am

lol, mate if you can find a place that sells good coffee let me know cause I know I can't find it!

Ada232

Postby Ada232 » Wed, 09 Apr 2008 12:06 pm

I reckon there will be a number of aussie in singapore. Is there places where aussie like to go...???

I am tempered to bring a coffee machine over to make my own coffee. As I can't see any gd one around. I am temper to approach coffee supplier to discuss latte art with them. Rather than search for thing that is rare here, why not make it happen.

Do you think that there are coffee market here. When I am in raffles place last week, I noticed that there are monte coffee here who is my supplier to my restaurant in melbourne. But I am doubtful about the knowledge and skill they have regarding making coffee.

If you have been exposed to a good cup of coffee, you will know the different and the how it would change your day.

Ada

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Any aussie??

Postby familyof5 » Wed, 09 Apr 2008 1:34 pm

Ada232 wrote:I
Pls tell a place with good latte. I am very tired due to the shortage of pick-me-up coffee. I miss the nice, creamy, beautiful latte.
Ada

Try 'Jones the Grocer', on Dempsey Hill. The coffee there is very good. They also do a nice breakfast.

I'm a coffee lover myself, also from melbourne, and thats the best i've found.

royk

Re: Any aussie??

Postby royk » Wed, 09 Apr 2008 9:46 pm

Ada232 wrote:I am from melbourne but will coming to singapore once a month for the next six month.

I been here for more than a week, I felt like an alien. I miss the warm, friendly feeling of melbourne. And I am dieing for a gd latte. They have no idea what is a weak short mac, instead they give me a flat white.

Ada

Totally agree, am from Melbourne myself and killing for great coffee :)

Please help this poor Melbourne lad

Ta

globalcitizen208

Postby globalcitizen208 » Wed, 09 Apr 2008 10:02 pm

I feel your pain! I have been here 1 month and misses my morning latte dearly. I reckon its the milk that they use. UHT!! It ruins everything.

Some quite decent place I found so far are; Bakerzin (ask them to make you a skinny and it will taste better) and Minotti in Raffles City. Also, the place in Dempsey that was mentioned earlier.

Anyone who has found a nice coffee place, please post here to safe us Melbournians who are deprived of our lattes. thank you

trinity511

Postby trinity511 » Thu, 10 Apr 2008 7:35 am

I've been here for about fourteen months, and the best coffee I've found so far is at my place. Yep! having your own machine makes it damn hard to find decent coffee anywhere else. But I may have to try some of the places people have suggested, when I'm out and about.

royk

Postby royk » Thu, 10 Apr 2008 5:20 pm

trinity511 wrote:I've been here for about fourteen months, and the best coffee I've found so far is at my place. Yep! having your own machine makes it damn hard to find decent coffee anywhere else. But I may have to try some of the places people have suggested, when I'm out and about.

Is this an invitation? thanks, i'll bring tim tams

Ada232

Postby Ada232 » Sat, 12 Apr 2008 1:53 am

What favour of tim tam????

They are coming out new favour every 3 to 6mths....

My favour is the pink one now....supporting pink ribbon. :oops:

Guys thanks for the feedback....But I have no idea where you guys are talking about.

I totally agrue that milk is a problem. But the skill and knowledge are the main think here. And the freshness of the coffee bean.

My best friend took me to a cafe behind the great eastern tower or building at 1 picker street. I have a chat with the coffee maker. Through the conversation, I don't really understand coffee. He able to tell me what he been told or learned from the book. The passion and the love is missing, and the drive that make melbourne coffee so great.

But that guy is nice, he let me behind the bar and make my own coffee... :lol: I did pay for the coffee though.

globalcitizen208

Postby globalcitizen208 » Sun, 13 Apr 2008 1:37 am

At least you get to go home every month to have proper coffee.

If you are still in town or next town you drop by Singapore, we should arrange for a coffee outing :p

Ada232

Postby Ada232 » Sun, 13 Apr 2008 2:40 pm

You are right. I only come here once a month. But there is no excuse, why can't we have gd coffee in singapore.

I will look into the issue and see if I can do another. Maybe it could be a business or career oppounity for me. We should move forward not backward, with continuce improvement. That why melbourne have quality food, wine and coffee.

With reference to your early post, you mention about UHT milk. Why not try to use other milk. You should use milk with a higher fat content. It is the "fat" that give us the creamy bit of the milk. That why skim milk is not as smooth and creamy compare to normal milk due to the fat content.

Coffee meeting would be nice. You guy could take me to the coffee place that you reckon is alright. I need a gd coffee to pick me up. I am mentally tired and not as alert. A wake me up coffee is in order.

I am still in town till wednesday. Will be flying back on wednesday night and induglence in all the good food, wine and coffee... Please don't be jealous.

I am open for an coffee gathering, give me a beep....(83833216) Anyone interested in coffee are invited. P.S if you are looking to hook-up, please don't come.

Looking forward to have a quality chat regarding food, wine and coffee... :wink:

kwkl

Postby kwkl » Tue, 10 Jun 2008 9:00 pm

Will u guys be having regular coffee outings?

We have been in Singapore for around 3 weeks and am dying for a good latte. The lattes we have had so far are weak and the cream soo frothy!

Do you know of any good coffee places around Raffles Place??

Levikane
Regular
Regular

Postby Levikane » Tue, 10 Jun 2008 9:34 pm

I know of two - but I cant remember their exact names...

One is about level 3 in Paragon Mall. It is directly opposite the Geox shoe shop.

Another is Spinelli's (?) which is also on Orchard road. Just a bit down from the Singapore visitors centre it is right on the corner of another mall, half inside with some outside seats. Give the breakfast paninis a miss...

globalcitizen208

Postby globalcitizen208 » Thu, 12 Jun 2008 5:44 pm

I have found 1 place at Raffles Place and I go there every morning to get my coffee. Its cheaper than Spinelli and they do it better than the rest. not Melbourne standard, but good enough

Leo's Espresso Bar
1 Raffles Place
B1-03D OUB Centre. Its at the basement. If you know where Boost Juice is, keep walking to the end.

Enjoy the coffee....

coffeegeek

Postby coffeegeek » Sat, 21 Jun 2008 6:51 pm

I'm from Melbourne too and as my username suggests I'm a coffee snob. I've searched downtown and this is the best place i have found. It's called Geek Terminal (similar name but I have no interest in this place) and it is in 55 Market Street. It's a strange mix of a bar and a small meeting centre, but importantly it serves great coffee.

True sign of a good Barista? one who takes his time to make the coffee and then remembers you and what you ordered after only 2 visits. Danny Pang is the Chief Barista - it says so on his card. Say hi to Danny, he makes a great coffee. Give it a go