Singapore Expats Forum

migrate to australia

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
mystiquempress

migrate to australia

Postby mystiquempress » Thu, 03 Apr 2008 11:05 am

I thought having a profession from the medical field will give me greater chances and options to migrate in OZ but then I just found out there’s a lot of things need to be done, step by step procedures plus costly and lengthy exams. :???: Is there anyone here who can advise me on more simple way in migrating to OZ????? :roll:

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Thu, 03 Apr 2008 11:16 am

Marry an Australian :P

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Thu, 03 Apr 2008 12:15 pm

I think you'd need to give us a lot more clues about your circumstances to enable anyone to advise you properly. Are you a doctor, nurse, what? Nurses are in short supply and often get Employer Nominated Sponsorship.

You might be better off on a different forum. I hope it's ok to post this here - try

www.britishexpats.com go to the Australia sections and do advanced searches on topics relevant to you. There is so much information there, and also professionals (e.g., migration agents) posting free advice. It's not just for Brits, but the majority are British and if English is not your first language you might want to make that obvious as some people can be a bit intolerant. Just like on any forum I guess. :(

I'm on there with the same nick I have here. Moving to Sydney in just under a month (all going well!).

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 03 Apr 2008 2:47 pm

I don't know about the medical profession but it is actually quite easy to emigrate to Australia provided you have at least 6 years experience in an appropriate (mostly construction) and are under 45 years old.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/01backgd.htm

http://www.workingin-australia.com/info/463
Last edited by Plavt on Thu, 03 Apr 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mystiquempress

migrate to australia

Postby mystiquempress » Thu, 03 Apr 2008 2:57 pm

One obvious and easier option is to marry an Australian (Thanks Jeppo!) :P . However, I want to apply on my own, without using anyone for a specific interests. 8-) I’m an occupational therapist and wanting to apply for a skilled independent visa.

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Thu, 03 Apr 2008 3:16 pm

I wouldn't say it is easy, Plavt. Certainly not straight-forward and, if you go off down the wrong visa track, you can make very costly and time-consuming mistakes.

Not speaking from personal experience there, as our case is quite straight forward, but I have read a lot about this recently!

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 03 Apr 2008 3:27 pm

seasider wrote:I wouldn't say it is easy, Plavt. Certainly not straight-forward and, if you go off down the wrong visa track, you can make very costly and time-consuming mistakes.

Not speaking from personal experience there, as our case is quite straight forward, but I have read a lot about this recently!

Perhaps I should have said easier than other places, the link I provided to the Australian government's website includes a section on how points are administered. I am sure you would agree people need to spend some time on that type of site to determine whether or not they are likely to be accepted, the site referred to also includes warnings in respect of character.

What you say is more or less confirmed there.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 03 Apr 2008 5:19 pm

As an Aussie, and having had those "departments" as Clients of my business, I can tell you that blanket statements about being < 45 etc. are, frankly, nonsense.

As suggested, go to the Immi site and perform the self-testing and see how you go. Forewarned is forearmed! Please also consider how long you want to remain in AUS. This will have a significant impact - not only on your application for whichever visa class you apply for, but also your tax situation both in AUS, and possibly your home country.

HTH, P

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Fri, 04 Apr 2008 5:24 am

sierra2469alpha wrote:As an Aussie, and having had those "departments" as Clients of my business, I can tell you that blanket statements about being < 45 etc. are, frankly, nonsense.

Thank you for the information it seems I didn't read the following link properly :oops: as well as some time ago, but then I am hardly likely to be emigrating (need to win the lottery first :P)

http://www.workpermit.com/australia/point_calculator.htm

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Tue, 08 Apr 2008 1:49 pm

Jeppo wrote:Marry an Australian :P

No, that option can take up to 2 years before you're granted permanent residency status.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Tue, 08 Apr 2008 9:57 pm

Not sure but it may be possible to get a 'foot in the door' through enroling in part time studies and come in on a student visa. This probably isn't cheap. From there it may still be a lengthy process/ time consuming but could create a more positive outcome. Have a contact who recently did this ...will see what I can find out...the Oz government can apparently be a formidable adversary when it comes to this whole process.
Feel for you. Similarly, I can't get the jobs I'm qualified for in Europe. They just can't be bothered with non-European passportholders.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

dcglim

Postby dcglim » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 5:44 am

I'm a doctor & was researching about moving to Oz. This information is from careers fairs & relatives who are also doctors in Oz.

If you are a qualified doctor, you should not have a problem provided that you are willing to work in an "Area Of Need".

It seems that at the moment, Australia is pretty short of medics & are actively looking for doctors to come over.

It may not be a training job, but service job initially. But I know some friends who have made the move & don't regret a thing.

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Thu, 17 Apr 2008 9:02 am

Splatted wrote:
Jeppo wrote:Marry an Australian :P

No, that option can take up to 2 years before you're granted permanent residency status.

Somebody needs to learn what a smiley means 8-[

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Re: migrate to australia

Postby cutiebutie » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 1:55 pm

mystiquempress wrote:I thought having a profession from the medical field will give me greater chances and options to migrate in OZ but then I just found out there’s a lot of things need to be done, step by step procedures plus costly and lengthy exams. :???: Is there anyone here who can advise me on more simple way in migrating to OZ????? :roll:

Oh dear, you mean they are selective? Bastards! It should be as easy as buying rojak. :???: A simple way to migrate? Go to New Zealand, get PR there and then cross the water.

Oh, hang on. Even New Zealand has entry procedures.

Darn!
- Thank God for Darwin -

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Thu, 24 Apr 2008 7:55 pm

Relaxation in th medical field?

How did the Indian guy who killed so many in Queensland pass the rigorous tests?

Relaxation in that field id irresponsible and should be the last profession to relax rules.
- Thank God for Darwin -