Singapore Expats Forum

Plastic Bags

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Fri, 04 Apr 2008 4:00 pm

Back in OZ they started introducing "biodegradeable" plastic shopping bags around mid 2007. Not a bad idea I thought, as like many others, we use them for garbage. As one other poster (I forget their name, sorry!) said, we also use cloth bags for the majority, but get the plastic ones when we run low for rubbish

markhed
Regular
Regular

Postby markhed » Fri, 04 Apr 2008 4:22 pm

The tax encouraged everyone to use recyclible bags that you bring to the store with you each time. I dont think that is a solution that is exclusive to Ireland or not applicable to high rises and Sing

Yeah its a fine country, I got a $20 jaywalking fine last year at 7am on a destered street. "rules are rules" as I was told... actually I think it was "rules are rules lah" :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Apr 2008 6:16 pm

So nobody has garbage in Ireland? How do they dispose of their garbage? I would actually like to know as if there is a solution then maybe it CAN be implemented here. Just using recyclable bags only keeps the grocery bags from being used as trash bags, how do they get rid of their garbage? Throw it into the canal?

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Fri, 04 Apr 2008 7:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:So nobody has garbage in Ireland? How do they dispose of their garbage? I would actually like to know as if there is a solution then maybe it CAN be implemented here. Just using recyclable bags only keeps the grocery bags from being used as trash bags, how do they get rid of their garbage? Throw it into the canal?

In Ireland and the UK bags are sold specifically for the purpose of disposing of rubbish (commonly known as black or bin bags) which are larger than those you use to carry shopping home. In addition many towns and cities have 'bottle banks' clearly visible on the side of the street and often in pairs, one for coloured glass the other for clear. Maybe I have just given somebody a new business idea? :P

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:33 pm

So then that idea did not bear fruit did it Plavt. I stated that 94% of the units in Singapore are in High Rise Buildings with a chute measuring only 12" x 15". That was my whole point. If they are not allowed to recycle existing grocery bags, then they have to buy the same sized bags in order to fit through the chute doorway. a) doesn't stop the usage of plastic bags and b) Not a very economical move for the household (although it is economical for the grocery store). More costs for the family, as if all the other costs escalating aren't enough.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:55 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:So then that idea did not bear fruit did it Plavt. I stated that 94% of the units in Singapore are in High Rise Buildings with a chute measuring only 12" x 15".

So you did I didn't read back that far and I see what you mean. The UK no longer builds tower blocks so that is not so much of an issue here (I don't even know even any that exist have rubbish chutes). At the same time people still buy or receive free carrier bags at supermarkets and use them for various purposes.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Sat, 05 Apr 2008 5:23 am

SMS:

I bet you heard of Pink Floyd:

We're just two lost souls, sitting in a fishbowl, year after year.

Get out of that fishbowl, bro!

C'mon ole man, you'd oughta know the world is bigger then the little red dot.

Google "environmental awareness" or step into a plane (not very "green" though) and broaden the mind abroad.

Did you know Europe even has energy labels on houses and CO2 emission labels on cars?

Sheesh, Singapore still is in the 16th century, banning diesel cars, that burn a fraction of CO2 compared to petrol cars... :shock:

Global Citizen wrote:SMS, I believe this topic has come up before and I'm with you on this.

By reusing the bags, you're recycling them. Get it, people?

Sheesh GC, ever seen ANYONE in Singapore REUSING a plastic bag??????
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 05 Apr 2008 7:04 am

SG, we've been doing it for a quarter of a century (reusing bags).

Most local I know who live in HDB depend on the NTUC bags just for that purpose. The US has had those labels for years as well, but still you have to admit that this country is a bit different than those with large land masses without the overall population densities per/sqkm that this country does.

But yeah, 3~5 years more for me MAX! I'm ready for the farm...... :cool:

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 05 Apr 2008 12:14 pm

Official websites here on Singapore's recycling status depict a wonderful situation ! Hmph ! It's anything but wonderfu .
I get very down about throwing cands and bottles down the chute. I've started taking these items along with cardboard to my workplace's recycling cos I'm not happy adding to the landfill. But the plastic bags are a problem. I collect them and take them home to Oz in my holidays for the plastic-bag recycling bins there.
It's great to see this topic on here and good to know that people care.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Postby yoongf » Sat, 05 Apr 2008 1:53 pm

92% of Sg refuse is incinerated, and the resultant ash and slag are then disposed off at the offshore landfill. Refuse does not directly end up at the landfill, as such there will be little benefit to switch to Biodegradable plastic bags.

During the incineration process, metals are removed for recycling.

The incineration process also generate electricity in the process.

http://www.nea.gov.sg/cms/esd/brochure/TIP.pdf

Such centralised backend recycling is more efficient for densely populated cities like Sg.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Sat, 05 Apr 2008 3:03 pm

yoongf wrote:as such there will be little benefit to switch to Biodegradable plastic bags.

Tell that to dying eco-systems in Singapore's mangroves. Plastic bags represent the largest component of the pollution.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 05 Apr 2008 3:43 pm

road.not.taken wrote:
yoongf wrote:as such there will be little benefit to switch to Biodegradable plastic bags.

Tell that to dying eco-systems in Singapore's mangroves. Plastic bags represent the largest component of the pollution.

Yeah, I know all about that and I am probably more ecologically aware than the average person with having forty plus years of diving experience including 20 years of commercial diving behind me. There are several places I've heard here that use them as well but the bottomline cost is higher hence the slow takeup rate. BUT, that is what this portion of my earlier post was about:

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The danger to the environment I am sensitive to as well, but that is not the way to change the problem. Come down on litterbugs harder if you have to - jail 'em for a while. After all, this is a FINE city! :P

One other thing about the incineration of garbage (including the plastic bags) is they have also started recycling the ash to make construction bricks and also a new type of brick that provides excellent drainage for usage in parking lots. So they are doing something.

As Global Citizen pointed out, we have had this whole discussion before on here. Haven't tried to find it though and as we have lot's of new members here who knows, somebody may come up with a gem amongst the grains of sand.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 05 Apr 2008 9:11 pm

Superglide wrote:

Sheesh GC, ever seen ANYONE in Singapore REUSING a plastic bag??????

Ah the resurrection of the bitter SG! We're mighty pleased that you're happy living in your version of European Utopia! :lol:

Everyone I know in Singapore reuses plastic bags for trash!
One man's meat is another's poison.